Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 38
  1. #1
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    4

    G750JH light bleed issues - normal?

    Just bought this. I can clearly see light bleed on edges of screen in desktop mode, using the asus laptop photo background, particularly the right edge. When screen is dark or black, there is a row of alternating bleeds: purple, yellow, purple, yellow. Each is about an inch long, going all the way down the side of the screen. It is not so obvious on direct view but if I move four inches to the left or look at the screen from a higher angle, it it quite pronounced. The left edge does not have this bleeding problem at all. I can squeeze the edge of the bezel and see that it moves, but it never goes away.

    I find this very disappointing considering how much money I paid for this. My wife's $850 acer screen looks way better than this Asus rog.

    I can't imagine this light bleed being normal. I have not read anyone else having this problem though. Should I take it back for a replacement or is this normal for this model? I really don't see it in a regular browsing window because the scroll bar on right edge covers the bleeding areas, but I know it is there.

    Great laptop otherwise, but still nowhere near the quality of my ipad screen for reading text. I got it for games, so not a big deal, but for $2400, I didn't expect an $850 ips acer v7 aspire (1920x1080) to have such a better screen.
    Last edited by Shatner\'s hairpiece; 01-03-2014 at 02:32 AM.

  2. #2
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Reputation
    13
    Posts
    2,441

    please send to service center to check it, or you can post photo?

  3. #3
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    4

    two photos show white screen, but are actually black. that was high iso. would you find this bleed acceptable? Does anyone owning this model have light bleed? for some reason. these photos came out sideways. the bleed is on right edge of screen.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4621.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	31927Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4620.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	31928Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4619.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	31929Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4618.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	31930Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4617.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	31931

  4. #4
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    74

    If look downward into the gap between the screen and the plastic frame I can see the white LEDs in those areas, but I personally have no color bleed like you do on my JX.

    What you showed in the pics is (in my opinion) unacceptable for today's QC on LED displays, both monitors and tvs. I would send it in for replacement if it were me.



    Edit: Also, to compare this screen to an Apple Retina screen isn't really fair. 1080p v. 1440p. Matte v. Glossy. The Retina is a fantastic display, easily the best mass produced screen out there.
    Last edited by reka121402; 01-03-2014 at 10:57 PM.

  5. #5
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    4

    I agree this is unacceptable. I will be returning it to future shop tonight and they will mail me a new one, probably next week. . Hopefully, the replacement is good. Since I can't seem to find any complaints about the g750 in regards to backlight bleeding, this is probably a rare dud. Thanks for the input.

    Yes, I am spoiled by my ipad screen!

  6. #6
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    4

    Got my second 750JH delivered today. Just as bad as the first. Exact same backlight bleed issues on the right side of the screen. At least this time I was able to see the problem immediately on booting it up before even doing any installation or updates. I think that's it for me and Asus. Taking it back to future shop and getting a full refund. I am not going through this a third time. It's a shame too because I really like the laptop. Maybe best buy problems are also future shop problems with this model. I'll have to look at an alternative laptop brand or just build a new PC.

  7. #7
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    129

    Quote Originally Posted by Shatner\'s hairpiece View Post
    Got my second 750JH delivered today. Just as bad as the first. Exact same backlight bleed issues on the right side of the screen. At least this time I was able to see the problem immediately on booting it up before even doing any installation or updates. I think that's it for me and Asus. Taking it back to future shop and getting a full refund. I am not going through this a third time. It's a shame too because I really like the laptop. Maybe best buy problems are also future shop problems with this model. I'll have to look at an alternative laptop brand or just build a new PC.
    man i have same issue... and its my 3d laptop... i do really like the laptop but this backlight bleed is really annoying... i don't know what to do

  8. #8
    ROG Guru: Platinum Belt Array hmscott PC Specs
    hmscott PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G750JH-DB71 (legacy)
    MotherboardAsus G750JH Intel HM87
    ProcessorIntel i7-4700HQ XTU Cores 36x/35x/34x/34x Cache 36x -50mV undervolt
    Memory (part number)Hyundai Electronics HMT41GS6AFR8A-PB 1.35v DDR3L-1600MHz
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia 780m Asus GPU Tweak OC 932mhz/6300mhz
    Sound CardRealtek v6.0.1.7469 driver
    MonitorAUO B173HW02 V1 Custom Refresh 85hz
    Storage #1RAID0 2x M.2 SATA Crucial MX200 512GB CT500MX200SSD6
    Storage #2Crucial 512GB 2.5" MX200 CT500MX200SSD1
    Power Supply230w AC Power Adapter 19.5v
    Keyboard Logitech k400 Wireless KB/Trackpad
    Headset Sony MDR-XB500 Wired and Sennheiser RS-220 Wireless TOSLINK
    OS Windows 8.1 + 8 Linux VM's + Windows 10 Technical Preview
    Network RouterAsus RT-AC68U DLINK DIR-655

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Reputation
    44
    Posts
    5,357

    The G750JW/JX have a normally bright display, running it at 90%+ is ok.

    The JH AUO (matte) display puts out too much light at 90%+, the whites bloom at that setting. I run at about 70%, more than bright enough - and running at 70% (or even 50%) might get rid of the most offensive bleed you are seeing.

    Give it a try and let us know how that works for you. It might take a little while to re-adjust to 70%, but it is more than bright enough indoors - sometimes I drop lower.

    I don't reduce the brightness to get rid of bleed, it is just too bright for me, and I normally like the display up around 95-100% - bright.

    There is usually a transition point below which the bleed will drop away. On my TV the bleed starts to show at 53% brightness - the bleed goes away at 52% - one click up and it comes back.

    You might try playing with the brightness/contrast to see if you can find a transition point on your G750 display that cuts out most or all of the bleed.
    Last edited by hmscott; 03-05-2014 at 08:47 AM.

  9. #9
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    129

    Quote Originally Posted by hmscott View Post
    The G750JW/JX have a normally bright display, running it at 90%+ is ok.

    The JH AUO (matte) display puts out too much light at 90%+, the whites bloom at that setting. I run at about 70%, more than bright enough - and running at 70% (or even 50%) might get rid of the most offensive bleed you are seeing.

    Give it a try and let us know how that works for you. It might take a little while to re-adjust to 70%, but it is more than bright enough indoors - sometimes I drop lower.

    I don't reduce the brightness to get rid of bleed, it is just too bright for me, and I normally like the display up around 95-100% - bright.

    There is usually a transition point below which the bleed will drop away. On my TV the bleed starts to show at 53% brightness - the bleed goes away at 52% - one click up and it comes back.

    You might try playing with the brightness/contrast to see if you can find a transition point on your G750 display that cuts out most or all of the bleed.
    So you have this issue too?
    I will try to play with brightness later and let you know.
    Thank you

  10. #10
    ROG Guru: Platinum Belt Array hmscott PC Specs
    hmscott PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G750JH-DB71 (legacy)
    MotherboardAsus G750JH Intel HM87
    ProcessorIntel i7-4700HQ XTU Cores 36x/35x/34x/34x Cache 36x -50mV undervolt
    Memory (part number)Hyundai Electronics HMT41GS6AFR8A-PB 1.35v DDR3L-1600MHz
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia 780m Asus GPU Tweak OC 932mhz/6300mhz
    Sound CardRealtek v6.0.1.7469 driver
    MonitorAUO B173HW02 V1 Custom Refresh 85hz
    Storage #1RAID0 2x M.2 SATA Crucial MX200 512GB CT500MX200SSD6
    Storage #2Crucial 512GB 2.5" MX200 CT500MX200SSD1
    Power Supply230w AC Power Adapter 19.5v
    Keyboard Logitech k400 Wireless KB/Trackpad
    Headset Sony MDR-XB500 Wired and Sennheiser RS-220 Wireless TOSLINK
    OS Windows 8.1 + 8 Linux VM's + Windows 10 Technical Preview
    Network RouterAsus RT-AC68U DLINK DIR-655

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Reputation
    44
    Posts
    5,357

    Quote Originally Posted by WinterMisha View Post
    So you have this issue too?
    I will try to play with brightness later and let you know.
    Thank you
    In the way that I have a JH that is way too bright all over, yes, but not in the way that light bleed is usually termed, a specific location / area that is brighter than others, usually due to a mechanical attachment 'pinch' / ill fit.

    But knowing how I mitigate light bleed on devices that do have specific bleed areas - by lowering the brightness / LED light, I thought I would mention that trick to you to see if it will help. The JH is already too bright, so there is a lot of fudge room to lower the brightness to kill the bleed while still being bright enough to be normal brightness.

    My TV model is an edge lit LED and I went through 2 before I found one that had the least objectionable localized brightness on the right side, about an inch on the whole right edge. As I said above, 1 step in the brightness setting is the trigger point that changes the bleed from being visible in dark scenes to being not objectionable.

    I hope this works for you, let us know what settings you find are best.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •