cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HDD Vibrating Hard need advice..

playful
Level 7
Hello, I am a noobie so please be gentle,

I own a G74S(x) ROG laptop and have had it a little over a year but recently I notice where my right wrist rests in the front has been vibrating. The vibrating has gotten worse to the point I have put a wad of napkins under the right front side to muffle the vibrating. During all this, at certain times (generally in a graphic intensive area of a game) it will start vibrating even louder sounding like it's winding up then down then back up..this lasts for about 20m and seems to effect my FPS and even if I power off for an hour and start it back up it will continue to do so. It will do this in game or out. It then goes back to it's regular vibrating which is still pretty strong and it wasn't always like this. It just seems to progressively be getting worse. I own two of these laptops and only one does this.

Is my HDD about to go out? Are the HD's located in the front right? As I have not opened it yet. I've searched the web and found people with this issue unresolved. But here, on this forum, I have not had any success with finding anyone with this problem.

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium sp1
Intel Core i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20 GHz 2.20 GHz
8G Ram 64 bit
Nvidia GTX 560m 2GB w/ latest drivers

Additionally, I have ran the tool SeaTools for Windows and it did not detect any problems.
3 REPLIES 3

indianacarnie
Level 8
It does sound to me like your drive is going bad. Have you tried taking it out, running your machine, and seeing if it still does this? I guess, and this is a shot in the dark, maybe your fan on the right side has vibrated loose? Fixable but complicated. Try running a CHKDSK first. Do you have access to another machine? If so take your drives out and see if they vibrate/are noisy in another machine.
G74Sx BBK-8 Crucial M4 128GB.SSD/W.D.500Gb.@7200 HHD 16GB. RAM Stock otherwise.

An End,even with Terror is better than Terror without End. F.Nietzsche

Pitcher1
Level 9
please dismatle bcak cover to check hdd, you can use tool to check hdd have not bad track.

@Indianacarnie, checking the disk is the first thing to do, yes. The HDD's are under the front right (or one of them is), and it can either be failing, or the HDD bracket has vibrated loose, and since all HDD's vibrate while in operation, the bracket could no longer be isolating the vibration of the HDD from the chassis of the notebook.

@playful, welcome to the forums!! 🙂 Try checking the HDD brackets, they are easy to get to. Just flip the notebook over - while it's powered off and battery removed! - and make sure that all the screws are tight.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23