cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hero 4770k OC problems

sir_kick_ass
Level 7
hi there as the post title states, im having a few problems.

im trying to gain a moderate overclock on this system and despite all attempts, the gods, pixies and next doors cat are all against me.
if i try to use the auto clock on 4.2 to 4.6 i get nothing but bsod of 00000124 or hard resets
if i try to manual OC i have to pump the cpu so full of power the electric company is asking if i want a sub station built next door.
to manual OC to 4.4, i have to pump the core voltage to 1.4v just to enter windows, anything less results in a bsod of 00000124. even at this voltage any attempt to run aida64 or prime95 results either in bsod or temps in the 90's from the word go

do i have a dog or a cpu or am i doing some thing desperately wrong?? i have tried using just LLC and changing core ratio and then looking at what the core voltage load is to get my voltage lvls but im unable to enter windows or bsod under any load.

can anyone shed any light on what i may be doing wrong, i am a little inexperienced with overclocking, but i have had successes in the past, but this one stumps me.

here is my specs.
Maximus vi hero
i7 3770k
seidon 240m h20 cooling
32 gb corsair ram
corsair gt 120 ssd
wd 1tb hdd
corsair ax1200 psu
gtx 780 ti sli
18 REPLIES 18

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hello mate sorry to hear you are having such a hard time of it. You did make me laugh with your account and respect for still having a sense of humour.

OK two things, laugh off the profiles please.
Second make sure your cooling is working as your CPU is seemingly a voltage hound.

Now we can work around this by dropping the multi a bit and seeing what is the tipping point where you need a whole heap more voltage for a very small gain in frequency.

Set your mode of OC to XMP profile.

Set the multi to sync all cores to 42

Now set digi+ LLC to medium.

Voltage is next, manual for now
then type in 1.300

F10 and enter.

How does it go?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hey sir_kick_ass:)

Hmm that doesn't sound much fun. while it could be you have a real lazy CPU that code 124 can mean the RAM is playing up too. Could be V core could be RAM.

I wonder....those 32GB is that a single kit or two of the same? Have you tried removing all but one stick of RAM and seeing if you have as hard a time....maybe try a couple of sticks singly....just to rule out a misbehaving DIMM. In fact you could do worse than run Memtest86+ at defaults and at XMP before doing any more OCing just to make sure the RAM is not a source of instability.

Is your board on the latest BIOS?

EDIT: just seen HiVizMan has answered in the meantime...can't get better help than that..

HiVizMan
Level 40
Darn Arne you are on form today, did not pick up the kit of ram size. I assumed it was one kit.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

sir_kick_ass
Level 7
Hi Arne Saknussemm

yes its updated to latest bios 1203, the memory was 2 kits of the same. i have now removed 1 set having seen a post that 2 identical kits can make an intel system screwy. memtest came back with no errors whilst in, but better safe than sorry.

hi HiVizMan, currently running those settings, temps at idle are 32c temps at load under aida64 are 68c, voltage under load 1.328v

sir_kick_ass wrote:
the memory was 2 kits of the same

Yes, unfortunately this can lead to problems...kits are binned to work as that kit, not with other kits even of the same make and model. XMP will quite often not work for example across multiple kits. See if you're stable with one kit and then maybe add the other but set up the ram manually, not via XMP. You can set up one kit of RAM XMP...go into bios and copy down RAM timings...and then enter those timings yourself to set up both kits...you could see if things behave that way. But much better to get one kit of whatever size you need.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Things going well mate? The system crash fee?

HiVizMan wrote:
Things going well mate? The system crash fee?

yes all is crash free, prime and realbench both completed.

the 2nd bank of ram wont let me overclock to this setting with these voltages so im leaving it out

HiVizMan
Level 40
As Arne said folks often think it is the same ram just because it has the same model number but sadly not all the time. Day be day there can differences in the kits. True they will run stated spec as a single kit but that is all.

sir_kick_ass
Level 7
what is a safe voltage if i try to overclock more?? bearing in mind that im at 1.3v already

i really appreciate the help you are giving me btw