cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BSOD at Windows loading when overclocking 4770K on Maximus VI Hero

fireaza
Level 7
Hey guys! I'm currently trying to overclock my new setup (Intel i7 4770K and Maximus VI Hero), I'm new to overclocking so I'm using the "CPU power up" thing to automatically configure the BIOS for me. However, it seems like no matter which profile I use, I get a blue screen of death when Windows loads. It loads fine if I revert back to stock settings. I wouldn't think overheating would be a problem, since:
1) I'm using a Corsair H100i water cooler
2) I wouldn't think it would overheat that quickly on such small overclocking

Does anyone know the source of my problem? I brought the K version CPU and the H100i with the intent of overclocking, so it sucks I'm hitting this issue already.
42 REPLIES 42

HiVizMan
Level 40
Please list all your hardware that is connected to the motherboard and could you tell me what the code on the BSOD is, I would guess 0124 but I do not want to guess.

Clear BIOS F5 and enter.

Set XMP profile as mode of OC.

Sync all cores to 42

Digi+ set LLC to regular.

VCore manual mode and type in below 1.300

F10 and enter.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

fireaza
Level 7
My hardware is:
CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i water cooler
RAM: 12GB of DDRIII
Video: EVGA GTX 780Ti SuperClocked (overclocked to 1.136GHz)

There's also a MIO board that connects to the motherboard via a USB header that controls various functions of my case.

That's a good point about the code on the BSOD, I'll see what it says. I'm assuming I'll be able to find out when I try the settings you suggested 😛

*EDIT* Where's "XMP profile" in the BIOS?

fireaza wrote:
My hardware is:
CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i water cooler
RAM: 12GB of DDRIII
Video: EVGA GTX 780Ti SuperClocked (overclocked to 1.136GHz)

There's also a MIO board that connects to the motherboard via a USB header that controls various functions of my case.

That's a good point about the code on the BSOD, I'll see what it says. I'm assuming I'll be able to find out when I try the settings you suggested 😛

*EDIT* Where's "XMP profile" in the BIOS?

Were it says AI Overclock Tuner, default is auto. change it to xmp. Like mine below

Main Rig
i7 4790k OC 4.7GHZ 1.215V SilverStone TD02 WC
Asus Maximus VI Hero
Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400Mhz 16Gb
Msi 970oc Edition 4gb
2 SSD 120gb + 1TB SSHD
Seasonic 850w
Windows 7 Ult x64

fireaza
Level 7
Hmmmm, no "XMP" setting in "AI Overclock", but I do have "manual" I assume this is what I'm suppose to be choosing?

Okay, so I've tried to follow HiVizMan's instructions, but again, a lot of my BIOS' settings are different from what he says. Namely no "regular" setting in "LLC", I have a series of numbers instead. I just chose "4" since it's the middle number which seemed the most "regular" to me. Vcore seemed to be named slightly differently, but I'm pretty sure I found the right place.

Anyway, for some weird reason, my PC didn't blue screen this time! Successfully running at 4.2 GHz. Any idea what to make of this? It would blue screen like clockwork when I tried to use one of the built-on OC profiles. I did just update all my motherboard drivers recently, and this is the first time I've tried overclocking since then, might it have been a driver issue that I've fixed by installing the latest drivers?

HiVizMan
Level 40
Number 4 is fine , older bios used medium, high and so on. My bad.

The built in OC profiles just did not work with your system mate, easy as that. I do not like them at all.

You should have XMP as an option in the mode of OC.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Goodey
Level 7
Im not a fan either. manual overclock is alot better and if u have the patience can be very efficient compared to auto overclocks. auto 4.2 on mine was setting core volts as high as 1.32v and when i did it manually stock 1.2v was stable so basically it was overvolting for nothing.

not the best idea in the world and all mobo manufactures all do it to be competitive with each other. but in my opinion its not the best way to go about things.
Main Rig
Asus Maximus VI Hero
Msi 970oc Edition 4gb
2 SSD 120gb + 1TB SSHD
Seasonic 850w
Windows 7 Ult x64

HiVizMan wrote:
Number 4 is fine , older bios used medium, high and so on. My bad.

The built in OC profiles just did not work with your system mate, easy as that. I do not like them at all.

You should have XMP as an option in the mode of OC.

Hmmm, I tried using the "4.2" OC profile and this one didn't blue screen. The other one did though, here's a photo of the blue screen:

Nope, no "XMP" option, just "manual" and "auto"

Goodey wrote:
Im not a fan either. manual overclock is alot better and if u have the patience can be very efficient compared to auto overclocks. auto 4.2 on mine was setting core volts as high as 1.32v and when i did it manually stock 1.2v was stable so basically it was overvolting for nothing.

not the best idea in the world and all mobo manufactures all do it to be competitive with each other. but in my opinion its not the best way to go about things.

Profiles are nice for guys like me who aren't familiar with overclocking, but based on what HiVizMan described, basic manual overclocking involves choosing the desired core rate and choosing an appropriate voltage core? How do you know what a suitable voltage core is? If I wanted to go higher than 4.2GHz, how would I go about this (aside from setting the speed I want in "core" obviously)?

fireaza wrote:
Hmmm, I tried using the "4.2" OC profile and this one didn't blue screen. The other one did though, here's a photo of the blue screen:

Nope, no "XMP" option, just "manual" and "auto"

Profiles are nice for guys like me who aren't familiar with overclocking, but based on what HiVizMan described, basic manual overclocking involves choosing the desired core rate and choosing an appropriate voltage core? How do you know what a suitable voltage core is? If I wanted to go higher than 4.2GHz, how would I go about this (aside from setting the speed I want in "core" obviously)?

Ok dont get ahead of yourself.

Make sure your system is stable at stock settings 1st doing a stability test 1st... at least 3 runs i would. then check the stickies on here on how to overclock and find stability and read thru it... if u cant get stock settings to be stable then come back. but read the guides they really are helpfull and simplified..
Main Rig
Asus Maximus VI Hero
Msi 970oc Edition 4gb
2 SSD 120gb + 1TB SSHD
Seasonic 850w
Windows 7 Ult x64

HiVizMan
Level 40
Your bios is corrupted if you do not have XMP profile as a Mode of OC

Please download the latest bios and extract the bios file to the root directory of a fat formatted USB drive/stick. Navigate to the tools menu in bios and use the EZflash2 utility to update your bios.

Do not use OS.