CaseThermaltake Armor+ VH6000
    Power SupplyEVGA Supernova 1600w Titanium
    Keyboard Cyberpower Skorpion K2
    Mouse Razer Basilisk
    Headset Sennheiser HD6XX / Modmic 5
    OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit
    Accessory #1 Asus optical drive
    Accessory #2 Koolance ERM-2K3U

2x8 GB kit would be best as using two kits of the same brand and same specs CAN cause issues. Use 1 kit to ensure stability.

ROG Member Array

Hmm, I was under the impression that it's important to always buy RAM that's as identical as possible so stuff like dual channel will work. But sometimes this is a bad thing you're saying? So I should leave 2x of my DIMMs empty instead of filling them all up? In the case of the 2x 8GB kit, would it be worth buying a faster speed or would it be a waste of money?
    Last edited by fireaza; 01-07-2014 at 07:39 AM.

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar

The number of sticks that are fitted increases the work the CPU (memory controller) has to do - it is better if you want high capacity memory to have the fewest number of sticks.

Faster memory only looks good or shows real results in benchmarks. Real world stuff capacity is king. For me 16gb is the sweet spot for the amount of memory I would use.
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

ROG Member Array

Huh, I never knew that about how the number of RAM sticks effects performance. Yeah, in that case, 2x 8GB sticks would be best. In terms of speed, should I bother with 1866MHz or just stick with 1600MHz?

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

I read somewhere that only haswell chip really use anything over 1600MHz I can't find where I read that at ATM. But seems to me it's a wast. I could be wrong thou. And I sure if I am wrong someone will point it out LOL.

ROG Member Array

Yeah, I heard that too, but the big question is if that ability to use faster RAM actually makes any difference in the real world.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by fireaza View Post
    Yeah, I heard that too, but the big question is if that ability to use faster RAM actually makes any difference in the real world.
    Hi.
    Yes it makes a real difference, otherwise they wouldn't build it... But depends entirely on your NEED.
    Higher memory frequency (the numbers you are referring to) is not actually directly RAM "speed", but RAM "bandwidth"...
    Meaning, it sort of shows how much data can transfer in and out of memory in one instance.
    So, if you want to play games or develop applications or simply watch a movie, then you are transferring a limited amount of data at the same time, as result, 1600Mhz would be even "more" than you need. But if you want to edit video or work on huge graphic files or you want to run virtual operating systems on your computer and so on, then you're moving a huge chunk of data in and out of your RAM at any given point, that's when you actually benefit from high memory bandwidth.

ROG Member Array

I see, so for the purposes of gaming, videos and the occasional Photoshop usage, 1600MHz is more than enough?

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar

I would suggest that 1600Mhz would be sufficient yes.
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

ROG Member Array

Okay, I've picked up some new RAM, and now I have the XMP option! Hooray!

It still bluescreens when I try the 4.4 CPU overclock profile though, why do you think this is?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast