cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tri-Fire R9 290x DirectCU II OC

MonkeyyNinja
Level 7
Hello all!

I've currently got a rampage IV black edition awaiting graphics cards, and was wondering if I would be able to fit three of the oversized DirectCU II OC cards in the board without hindering cooling. I plan to put them all on water anyway when EK releases their blocks, but want to get this system up and running as soon as possible.

On a side note, I'm about to lose my mind trying to find even non-ASUS 290x cards for within $50 of MSRP (hence waiting for the DirectCU IIs). The lack of availability is insane; anyone know if there will be a brief window of opportunity before the new custom ASUS editions come out for preorder at normalish prices, or when/where US preorders may first be available?

Thanks much!
6 REPLIES 6

HiVizMan
Level 40
DirectCU II solution of the card is a dual slot cooler - so it should fit. But it is going to be tight, very tight.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Dartmaul
Level 12
I would highly recommend to use 2 cards until waterblocks arrive.
290X cards are VERY_HOT. Seriously, I had two 7970s before these, they are way colder.
If you install all three in a row, they will sit so close to each other so it would prevent normal air flow and cause inevitable overheat.

heichalot
Level 7
depending on your casing & motherboard,
since the 290x's fan is larger than matrix platinum, the only last pcie slot you can take is the bottom one, which is very close to the psu.

but with custom water cooling, especially by EK, it is really thin, so you can even put 4 if you want.

regarding your question, since you want it to run as soon as possible,
most likely you wont fit the 3rd 290x as it is
Aristo, an Enthusiast Gamer
Play on Steam? Add me http://steamcommunity.com/id/heichalot/

"Everytime my setting passes HyperPi or Prime95, I get a boner"
-me

LG 60UN5400 Asus Rampage V Extreme Intel i7-5930k Haswell-E Kingston HyperX DDR4 2800 16Gb (4x4)
Asus RoG Ares II no. 789 & 179 Corsair AX1200 NZXT Kraken x60 Bose Companion 5 Sennheiser HD600 Logitech G13 Corsair K95 Logitech G500 Logitech HD Pro C920 Coolermaster Haf X

MonkeyyNinja
Level 7
That really is unfortunate; I've got three Qnix 1440p monitors I need to run, so three cards is a must. Would I be able to undervolt them enough to mitigate temperature issues until EK releases their Block for it?

MonkeyyNinja wrote:
That really is unfortunate; I've got three Qnix 1440p monitors I need to run, so three cards is a must. Would I be able to undervolt them enough to mitigate temperature issues until EK releases their Block for it?

one of the reason water block suggestion is to reduce the size, so you can fit 3 or 4 there.
without taking off your factory fan casing, there is almost no way for you to fit more than 2 290x.

overheating is another issue tho
Aristo, an Enthusiast Gamer
Play on Steam? Add me http://steamcommunity.com/id/heichalot/

"Everytime my setting passes HyperPi or Prime95, I get a boner"
-me

LG 60UN5400 Asus Rampage V Extreme Intel i7-5930k Haswell-E Kingston HyperX DDR4 2800 16Gb (4x4)
Asus RoG Ares II no. 789 & 179 Corsair AX1200 NZXT Kraken x60 Bose Companion 5 Sennheiser HD600 Logitech G13 Corsair K95 Logitech G500 Logitech HD Pro C920 Coolermaster Haf X

kshafe777
Level 7
MonkeyyNinja wrote:

On a side note, I'm about to lose my mind trying to find even non-ASUS 290x cards for within $50 of MSRP (hence waiting for the DirectCU IIs). The lack of availability is insane; anyone know if there will be a brief window of opportunity before the new custom ASUS editions come out for preorder at normalish prices, or when/where US preorders may first be available?

Thanks much!

um.. don't let your mind go.. Newegg has them at $699.. that's $130 OVER msrp... ug...
"Better to try and Fail, then not try at all" ~ Michael Jordan
favorite YouTuber - KDSTech - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz0zF8nTziWiBx3v6CNR3yw