cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75VX-BHI7N11 from Newegg

KohDuh
Level 7
I would like to eventually upgrade from 8 GB to 32 GB RAM, any suggestions?

Also, I found this program called "WinFlash.exe" on my system… Is this supposed to help me update my Bios?

A nice little tidbit I found, I noticed when I changed my power options… Switching between power saving, balanced, and performance…
My CPU speed would increase along with each settings, very nice… Looks like I don't have to download any extra overclocking software, do I?
3 REPLIES 3

rewben
Level 13
at this point of time, i guess it's a better investment to get a set of 1.35V 1600MHz ram. the ram can be used in haswell laptops in case you plan to get one later.

yes, winflash is used to load the latest bios you have downloaded from asus support page to upgrade your bios. please be careful, if the current bios works without problems, it's safer NOT to upgrade. the ezflash is a better method for this purpose.

depending on the needs, we can change the power settings when needed. this allows us to save power when necessary. (for some of us, we always run the laptop at high performance profile only)

overclocking is different from this. i am not familiar with overclocking sorry, but you can get some ideas what it is about by searching in this forum.

Pitcher1
Level 9
you can find spec from asus website as http://www.asus.com/ROG_ROG/G75VX/#specifications -> DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM, 4 x SO-DIMM socket for expansion up to 32 GB SDRAM, also you can see your onboard memory to buy same type.
winflash is flash bios under OS, but i suggest you user ezflash under bios to flash bios.

darkhello
Level 7
KohDuh wrote:
I would like to eventually upgrade from 8 GB to 32 GB RAM, any suggestions?

Also, I found this program called "WinFlash.exe" on my system… Is this supposed to help me update my Bios?

A nice little tidbit I found, I noticed when I changed my power options… Switching between power saving, balanced, and performance…
My CPU speed would increase along with each settings, very nice… Looks like I don't have to download any extra overclocking software, do I?

Though others have answered your question, I'd like to give a little bit of input as well. Is there any specific reason why you want to go up to 32 GB of ram? 16 for almost all programs (except if you're deciding to CAD the world) is usually good enough...

Yes, those options are there for that reason, actually. Swapping between the modes will limit performance of the ENTIRE machine (graphics card and hard drive included!) but the most noticable (without other softwares) is your CPU performance.

You technically CAN'T overclock a mobile CPU due to the fact that it's mobile and locked down due to the BIOS, but you can install software that will keep your mobile chip running at a certain clock despite how hot it might get. (Pro tip: if your computer gets to ~85C, it WILL throttle your CPU. If you don't notice the throttling, your system didn't need the extra clock anyways).

Though for the majority of people, the power options are good enough :]