cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get my graphics card to work

Prince_Ire
Level 7
Alright, I have an Asus G46VW-BSI5N06. I've had it for several months, but only now, thanks to Rome: Total War 2's graphics options menu informing me of which graphics card I was using, did I realize it was using the Intel HD 4000 (I believe inbuilt, correct?) rather than the Nvidia GeForce GTX 660M (came with the computer). Seeing as the Nvidia card was a good deal better, I wanted it to be using that rather than the Intel one, so I went into device manager and disabled the Intel card, thinking that it must be overriding the Nvidia one, since both were listed as enabled. However, no luck. After doing that, instead of using the Nvidia card, it began using the basic Microsoft renderer instead. Any idea what the problem is? Do I have to do something in bios, and if so can somebody offer me steps on what to do?
4 REPLIES 4

darkhello
Level 7
I love having a G75VX. No secondary Intel cards are looovveeelllyyyy~

First of all, do you have your drivers for your GTX660M installed? That'll be the main reason why it's not picking it up. You can install the latest drivers here: http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/70187/en-us

Anyways, the main reason, aside from drivers, that you're seeing that you've been playing on the Intel HD 4000 card is because Optimous hasn't kicked in (or, rather, kicked back). Optimous is something built into your system to allow you to have two graphics cards, one being super light on the system and therefore nice for your battery (Intel HD 4000) and the other being an actual gaming card (GTX 660M).

With that said, Optimous will kick in when you're on battery. If you're on battery, you WILL be playing on your Intel HD 4000, no ifs, ands, or buts. You can't change that.

Buuuutttt if you don't have your drivers installed for the 660M, it won't have a singular clue that the 660M even exists.

tl;dr should be simple install of drivers, don't game on your battery.

If that doesn't solve your issue, feel free to PM or post further down in the thread :]

Cheers,
darkhello

darkhello wrote:
I love having a G75VX. No secondary Intel cards are looovveeelllyyyy~

First of all, do you have your drivers for your GTX660M installed? That'll be the main reason why it's not picking it up. You can install the latest drivers here: http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/70187/en-us

Anyways, the main reason, aside from drivers, that you're seeing that you've been playing on the Intel HD 4000 card is because Optimous hasn't kicked in (or, rather, kicked back). Optimous is something built into your system to allow you to have two graphics cards, one being super light on the system and therefore nice for your battery (Intel HD 4000) and the other being an actual gaming card (GTX 660M).

With that said, Optimous will kick in when you're on battery. If you're on battery, you WILL be playing on your Intel HD 4000, no ifs, ands, or buts. You can't change that.

Buuuutttt if you don't have your drivers installed for the 660M, it won't have a singular clue that the 660M even exists.

tl;dr should be simple install of drivers, don't game on your battery.

If that doesn't solve your issue, feel free to PM or post further down in the thread :]

Cheers,
darkhello
I will check if having the computer plugged in results in using the Nvidia card.

eZ-Punisher
Level 7
hey dude do any other games lag for u? mine all do and I don't know how to fix the graphics card thing so keep me updated on what happens for you thanks.

Pitcher1
Level 9
you can set in NVIDIA control pannal, it can be setting which grapics you want to display.