Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array glenn with 2 n's's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by V2-V3 View Post
    I recommend having a case fan directing airflow over the VRM heatsink if you plan on overclocking

It is not required to liquid cool the VRM's as the 19 Phase GPU power sufficiently distributes the heat load on the VRM's and reduces overall temperature in that area of the board.

I use the stock VRM cooler to bench this card on liquid Nitrogen at 1500MHz + and have no problems with the VRM's getting too hot.

Thank you all for the feedback, would anyone like to see a point diagram of the card where I indicate the location of board components and describe them in detail?
    right on thank you for the recommendation very appreciated! ,
    so with that put to rest, ill be looking to set up my matrix with an ek universal vga block,
    removing the dcii spreader while keeping the stock heatsink on the components and placing the stock fan assembly/matrix face plate back on. so theres the fan keeping a constant air flow along with my case vertical cooling in air terms.
    the real trick will be when i get finally get hands on to determine and mod that front face plate so its only 2 slots wide along with using the ek dcii i/o bracket for the 2 slot conversion.
    †he RoG Hell Spawn | GPU/ 2 x Matrix Platinum 580 GTX in SLI | MoBo/ Maximus IV Extreme-Z | CPU/ i7 2600k (Cooled by Corsair H60) | Case/ SilverStone FT-02 | Memory/ 16GB of Corsair Vengeance | PSU/ SilverStone 1200-G | OS/ Win7Ult | OS SSD's/ 2 x Corsair 60GB Force GT in RAID 0 | Game Storage/ 2 x WD 1TB 7200rpm HDD in RAID 0 | Media Storage/ 2TB WD HDD | Main Storage/ 256GB SSD | Sound Card/ Creative SB X-Fi Ti with Front Drive | Misc/ Sound Activated Lighting | ....well i'll be damned

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array cravinmild's Avatar

Thank you all for the feedback, would anyone like to see a point diagram of the card where I indicate the location of board components and describe them in detail?[/QUOTE]

FEED ME!!!

@glenn
    Look closely at the mounting of the shroud, youll notice that it is screwed to the stock heatsink, without the heatsink you ll have to mod the shroud somehow to keep it...just a note to help you plan

Thanks for the clarification on the vantage not being included with the gpu V2-V3

If i could ask, i would like to really push the snot out of this card. Would you be accepting to do a review of the GPU Tweak software? I know there is stuff in there to really push the card but im not an extream overclocker and all those sliderbars are going to get me in trouble. Untill now its all i can do to leave them alone...i dont know how long i can last though.

I hit 1014core today, very happy about that...i know it can do more though WOOT

Quote Originally Posted by cravinmild View Post
    without the heatsink you ll have to mod the shroud somehow to keep it...
    guess ill have to break out the hard stuff.... duct-tape, zip-ties &... shoe-glue!

haha just wait until i get back ill take a pic of an laptop cooler that was fan-less and couldn't be set comfortably on the lap.. that changed..

note to self: buy more shoe-glue because the last person who used it emptied the tube on his room window to prevent rain from dripping in........ yea.. true story....
    †he RoG Hell Spawn | GPU/ 2 x Matrix Platinum 580 GTX in SLI | MoBo/ Maximus IV Extreme-Z | CPU/ i7 2600k (Cooled by Corsair H60) | Case/ SilverStone FT-02 | Memory/ 16GB of Corsair Vengeance | PSU/ SilverStone 1200-G | OS/ Win7Ult | OS SSD's/ 2 x Corsair 60GB Force GT in RAID 0 | Game Storage/ 2 x WD 1TB 7200rpm HDD in RAID 0 | Media Storage/ 2TB WD HDD | Main Storage/ 256GB SSD | Sound Card/ Creative SB X-Fi Ti with Front Drive | Misc/ Sound Activated Lighting | ....well i'll be damned

[QUOTE=cravinmild;31583]Thank you all for the feedback, would anyone like to see a point diagram of the card where I indicate the location of board components and describe them in detail?

FEED ME!!!

@glenn
    Look closely at the mounting of the shroud, youll notice that it is screwed to the stock heatsink, without the heatsink you ll have to mod the shroud somehow to keep it...just a note to help you plan

Thanks for the clarification on the vantage not being included with the gpu V2-V3

If i could ask, i would like to really push the snot out of this card. Would you be accepting to do a review of the GPU Tweak software? I know there is stuff in there to really push the card but im not an extream overclocker and all those sliderbars are going to get me in trouble. Untill now its all i can do to leave them alone...i dont know how long i can last though.

I hit 1014core today, very happy about that...i know it can do more though WOOT

I would be happy to include future content covering this

Glenn,

I Have updated the Reserved content to help you. I will be doing tome long term OC stability tests with profiles to post later.

right on!
    thank you very much!,

like most people (i’d assume) overclocking is not something that is taught but threw a lot of trial & error, with entry level enthusiasts working to wrap there head around it all by picking up the pieces scattered throughout the internet.
    even for a person like myself, it took me some time to sort out a lot of topics and methods but fortunately for me im pretty knowledgeable with computers. so compared to some kid getting some loaded pre-built rig an then frying it because he didn’t know the what’s what inside the pc, im enjoying this
    from how you set up your review im getting a solid grasp of this card along with the terminology an methods
    so im more than grateful from all this , thanks!

same same, i do know its your time and i do appreciate it when stuff like this is done. It helps the community as a whole. Im not that tech enclined and have found it most difficult to amass all the info needed to oc components. I also have a bad memory so add that to the mix and its a recipe for disaster. One thing i have found difficult is to try to understand is how it all works together and order of importance. For example, what is PEX_VDD and how does the ability to use it effect my oc sucess also when should i be using it. I can oc my memory and overvolt it but at which point should that be a step in my oc. One thing i do have a problem with is limmits, knowing when ive reached the realistical max my componets can offer in a given situation, i just keep pushing them lol. Im not asking you to write that of course, just stating issues ive come up against and why i am apprecitive of the added content.

Thanks

Thank you for the great feedback, I will be updating the content to better address your questions. I also have more future content to cover Overclocking and determining a maximum stable speed for your card. I am currently in testing phase for the overclocking portion of this review so keep posted!

If i could make a request could i get more information on the solder points. I really did pick this card for its mod-abiltiy and would like to know more about that aspect of the card. I see people posting oc scores with voltages over 1.50v. Some are posting voltages above 1.6,1.7,2.0 and i am wonder how to do that. One final request would be about the hardware overvolting buttons as im alittle unclear as to what they add. When i press them gpu-z does not show an increase in voltages when pressed and im alrighty at 1.5 using gpu tweak. Do these buttons just work upto voltage reaching 1.5 and then become inactive or am i suppose to be able to increase voltage beyond 1.5v if ive reached that point using gpu tweak alrighty and then start to press them. I do have the card watercooled and am confident it could handle the extra voltage......to whatever you would be consitered safe max for water.

Im starting to think my cpu may be bottleneck at 3.92 for this card if ive oced the card to 1k. I understand most benchmarks use only a single cpu core so would a cpu increase help my heaven scores? I dont run oc while gaming, i am happy with performance at stock while gaming and would rather not risk 4h+ game sessions while oced so high for a 10-20% increase in fps....honestly whats the diff between 55fps and 62fps. I game with 3d vision and those are still not going to get me playable fps anyways. Im only interested i high oc while doing quick benchmark sessions.

Thank you, i know ive asked for alot here.

Quote Originally Posted by cravinmild View Post
    If i could make a request could i get more information on the solder points. I really did pick this card for its mod-abiltiy and would like to know more about that aspect of the card. I see people posting oc scores with voltages over 1.50v. Some are posting voltages above 1.6,1.7,2.0 and i am wonder how to do that. One final request would be about the hardware overvolting buttons as im alittle unclear as to what they add. When i press them gpu-z does not show an increase in voltages when pressed and im alrighty at 1.5 using gpu tweak. Do these buttons just work upto voltage reaching 1.5 and then become inactive or am i suppose to be able to increase voltage beyond 1.5v if ive reached that point using gpu tweak alrighty and then start to press them. I do have the card watercooled and am confident it could handle the extra voltage......to whatever you would be consitered safe max for water.
    great question crav

its areas like this that would deter most people due too lack of insight on more advanced approaches for ocing and what possibilities they could expect to see in results.

on a side note ill be off the net for a few more then likely, got some flights to catch to get myself redeployed back to the USA then build my beast of a computer! (taking many pictures of course)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast