cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPU is egg cooker! Help

awelect
Level 7
Hi guys,

I have a rampage IV motherboard and originally a i73930k CPU and a corsair h80 CPU cooler. It's been running fine for months. On a hot day 30 odd degrees c it was running slow and I got CPU at 80 warning so shutdown. On inspection the CPU cooler was full of dust so cleaned it out and still the CPU kept heating up.

So I bought a cheaper i7-4820k and fitted it today with lots of heat transfer compound and I didn't even get anything on the monitor but could feel the CPU cooler hose getting hotter and hotter so turned it off.

My next step is to buy a new motherboard which is going to be a lot more expense. Any ideas of things to try before I do?

Thanks heaps, andrew
20 REPLIES 20

Nate152
Hi awelect, I had to laugh when I saw cpu is egg cooker! 80c or below for cpu temp is fine. Does your motherboard give you a code on the LED readout? You will need to update your BIOS to recognize your new cpu.

awelect
Level 7
It's never been that hot before and I have never seen a temperature alert before either. It now gets to 80 before even loading windows, ie just sitting in bios with a room temp of 20 odd. The old processor windows was running really slow. Seems to me must be more to it but I am no expert.

I have upgraded the bios a few months ago and as far as I know it's the latest- but at present I can' test the version number to tell

Nate152
It sounds to me like your cpu cooler is failing if you are at 80c just sitting in the BIOS. Is your motherboard giving you a code?

awelect
Level 7
At the moment the m/b is just saying 00. Before with the older processor it didn't have an error code that I saw. Maybe my next step should be a new cooler and put the old processor in? A lot cheaper than a new m/b anyway!

Nate152

No, how do I do that?

Nate152
On the back of your pc on the motherboard will be a green lighted button. Turn off your pc and hold that button for a slow count of 3. Then start your pc.

awelect
Level 7
I did it with the pus off and didn't appear to do anything. Did with pus on and it turned off the start and reset lights on the motherboard and powered up the m.b. Lights when I took finger off the button but with no change. It still says 00 and no screen wake up. No beeps or anything.like it doesn't like the CPU. Thinking of buying the corsair h110 cooler. Still think maybe motherboard fault as I wouldn't think a CPU would get to that temp in bios normally even without a heatsink or cooler would it? Jwahar do you think? Thanks for you help

awelect wrote:
I did it with the pus off and didn't appear to do anything. Did with pus on and it turned off the start and reset lights on the motherboard and powered up the m.b. Lights when I took finger off the button but with no change. It still says 00 and no screen wake up. No beeps or anything.like it doesn't like the CPU. Thinking of buying the corsair h110 cooler. Still think maybe motherboard fault as I wouldn't think a CPU would get to that temp in bios normally even without a heatsink or cooler would it? Jwahar do you think? Thanks for you help

Hi;
which one of these did you try till now?
1- CPU reset
2- Cable and connector check
3- clear CMOS
CPU temp in BIOS should be about 50C with a good cooler (I'm using H100i) since in BIOS the CPU works at it's full clock.