cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can not Burn Verbaitim DVD-R DL

Phoeny
Level 8
Hy

I ve tried to burn an Image to a Verbatim DVD-r DL and imgburn told me Drive: Bad condiion...

Is my drive broken after 6 Months?

edit: my notebook is a g750JH
10 REPLIES 10

Pitcher1
Level 9
is you dvd can read disk and play music, games? or you use blue ray dvd to burn?

Phoeny
Level 8
I ve tested it can Read any media ... cd & dvd ...
I can Write CD ...
But i can not Wirte to DVDs ....

Phoeny
Level 8
push

wtf is wrong with my drive ??

Phoeny wrote:
push
wtf is wrong with my drive ??

There may be nothing "wrong" with your drive, it might not like that brand/make/ID of blank disc. For each drive there is a sweet spot of physical alignment / other physical factors that favor one brand/make/"ID" of disc. There are web sites devoted to sharing the good and bad discs for particular drives. You will also see manufacturers update the BIOS to fix / tune out incompatibilities.

You need to find the drive name you have, and search based on that. Mine is a MAT****A BD-CM8 UJ160, here is my search:
https://www.google.com/search?q=MAT****A+BD-CM8+UJ160+best+blank+media&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=or...

And I found several lists of incompatible functions that the drive won't do... and some that work fine.

I haven't needed to visit those sites for years, but did a quick google search, and found a few:
https://www.google.com/search?q=dvd+drive+best+discs&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:of...

Here is one such site and the page that explains the media compatibility issues. Even if you have a popular media, it might not be compatible with your particular drive - and the drive might be "broke" as well...
http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm

You can replace the drive that came with the laptop easily, and without voiding the warranty. You only need to remove the back plastic removable panel, unscrew the retaining screw, and slide out the drive. You move the bracket and the tray cover plastic to the new drive - I left the flat non-curved tray cover plastic that came with the new drive on it - it has the media compatibility logos of the new drive.

Find a drive that has the compatibility features you want, and swap it in your laptop. That is what I did 🙂

Pierre990429
Level 7
Hello,

as HMScott said, it might be perfectly normal. You need to find the model of your DVD drive and find a tool (I use "Complex Evolution", it's a burner too) to test its compatibilities.

Examples :

in my Dell M1710, the TSSTcorp TS-L 632HD400 ( DVD only, no BluRay) cannot read/write DVD - R DL, DVD - RW DL, DVD + RW DL. But I can use DVD + R DL. Try this type of DVD DL.

in my Asus G750JH, the Matshi.ta UJ260AF cannot read/write DVD - RW DL, DVD + RW DL, BD - R DL, BD - RE DL.

in my desktop computer, the Plextor PX-LB950SA cannot read/write DVD - RW DL, DVD + RW DL, BD - RE DL. It can use BD - R DL. (best drive I have so far).

I wonder what's up with the DVD RW DL discs.

All these 3 drives have buffer-underrun protection, & can do track-at-once, session-at-once, disc-at-once.

None of these drives can use HD-DVD discs.

In your case, if you want to burn a DVD DL, try a DVD + R DL disc.

I suppose you don't have a BluRay drive.

EDIT : DVD RW DL don't exist (according to wiki)

and according to the Plextor site, the LB950SA can read/write BD - RE DL discs. I guess the software I used couldn't recognize this fact.

Phoeny
Level 8
I have the Matsh ita UJ160 and it should be able to Burn DVD-R DL ...I think i ll swap the drive.... i dont want to RMA my Laptop for 6 Weeks or longer ...

Phoeny wrote:
I have the Matsh ita UJ160 and it should be able to Burn DVD-R DL ...I think i ll swap the drive.... i dont want to RMA my Laptop for 6 Weeks or longer ...

Before you go through that, in my opinion you need to re-read what hmscott whote, he is a very knowledgeable member of this forum and has help with many odd issues like yours.

A quick summary is this: Before you RMA the drive go buy a different brand of blank media. It sounds silly, but because of the way be media is physically made there are differences and simply buying a different brand may solve your problems. Go to Walmart, buy a different brand for a few dollars and see if it makes any difference, if not then you know for sure it is the drive.

I personally never had this issue with disc media, but I did recently have my 750JX not like an older SanDisk USB drive when trying to clone the HDD. Bought a new usb stick and it worked like a charm.

Phoeny wrote:

I have same Blu-ray optical drive model as yours, and I haven't tested it with DVD-DL, but I have used it to write and read DVD-RW/DVD-R and DVD Movie and even Blu-ray movie are working very well. but it can't write to Blu-ray disc.

Phoeny
Level 8
i got it working .... i cant burn with 4x or slower .... if i set 6x it works....

i will replace the drive anyway .... thx 4 help