cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help choosing a model please

mulox
Level 7
I bought a G73 when it first came out (pre-order actually) so I am long overdue for an upgrade. I am not a gamer, but I do run very intensive apps sometimes (like VMs). Most of the time I just want to watch movies on a big screen and surf/email while traveling.

So based on my requirements, I thought the G750JW would work best for me, since I don't need tons of memory or great video processing. I plan to add my own SSD drive as a boot drive, and upgrade the optical to blu-ray. I found 2 JW models out there, and it seems the only difference is the hard drive:

G750JW-NH71 has a 750GB
G750JW-DB71 has a 1TB

QUESTIONS:
1. Can anyone confirm this is the only difference between these models?

2. I have read some people complaining about matte screens vs. glossy, but don't think it really matters much for my purposes, right?

Lastly, I have read about only 5% performance difference between G75 and G750 series, but I don't think it's relevant for me because I am upgrading from a G73, and the 75/750 can be had for about the same price (and I don't care about being able to upgrade the cpu).
3 REPLIES 3

Darnassus
Status Under Review
I might be a little wrong and talk my own language here but..

Apps or Programs?

Are you doing stuff like photoshop? I notice you said VM's is that Virtual Machines?

That model looks to be around 1,200-1,400 USD. If all you're doing is watching movies and virtual machines, I don't think this is the place for you. If I was in your position, I'd try look for something with an intergrated graphics, nothing dedicated if you're not gaming or doing anything really graphics intensive.

The Matte Screen would be good for you, I highly recommend it if you're TRAVELING. Buzzword there. You'll get a lot of sun on your screen at times and Matte will make you fall in love for convenience.

Your G73JH doesn't seem much of an upgrade if this is all you're going to be doing. Remember these are gaming series for stuff like Crysis and Starcraft.

By all means if you do want this machine, I'd encourage you to purchase as it's simply stellar and amazing. I myself have a G750JX and I absolutely love it.. but for your purpose I cannot see a reason to fork out the extra $500.

I will remind you that the G750 Series is extremely bulky and difficult to find a suitable carry bag. There's only a very select few, around 4 bags I can find that're properly compatible and have sufficient padding.. in general. I still have yet to find the perfect bag.

Darnassus
Status Under Review
I might be a little wrong and talk my own language here but..

Apps or Programs?

Are you doing stuff like photoshop? I notice you said VM's is that Virtual Machines?

That model looks to be around 1,200-1,400 USD. If all you're doing is watching movies and virtual machines, I don't think this is the place for you. If I was in your position, I'd try look for something with an intergrated graphics, nothing dedicated if you're not gaming or doing anything really graphics intensive.

The Matte Screen would be good for you, I highly recommend it if you're TRAVELING. Buzzword there. You'll get a lot of sun on your screen at times and Matte will make you fall in love for convenience.

Your G73JH doesn't seem much of an upgrade if this is all you're going to be doing. Remember these are gaming series for stuff like Crysis and Starcraft.

By all means if you do want this machine, I'd encourage you to purchase as it's simply stellar and amazing. I myself have a G750JX and I absolutely love it.. but for your purpose I cannot see a reason to fork out the extra $500 for the JW when you can find something half that price that'll meet your requirement.

I will remind you that the G750 Series is extremely bulky and difficult to find a suitable carry bag. There's only a very select few, around 4 bags I can find that're properly compatible and have sufficient padding.. in general. I still have yet to find the perfect bag.

Hope this helps, post back if there's something I've largely missed.

Personally I'd buy myself a portable DVD player that can read AVI's on a USB and take the G75 with you simply since it's a computer to use for your computing if you need it. Emails could be done on your phone, though I don't know what phone you have and if you use Outlook.

adamsyes
Level 8
Like Darn said, depending on what you will be using it mostly either model would be fine imo.

And the G750 actually performs more than just 5% from G75.
I believe the DB71 comes with AC wifi, which you don't technically need anyway (unless you are a wifi speed freak :p)