cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RIVBE Memory Channels D and C not detecting RAM

hardcoreprawn
Level 7
Hello,

I've got an RIVBE with an Intel i7-4920K and a single 4x8 kit of Kingston Hyper-X Beast 2400 CL11 DDR3 (on the QVL, KHX24C11T3K4/32X). I've got the system on Bench now with a Corsair H100. I've had some trouble getting this far into the build, but I'll put that down to being rusty; its my first build in about 5 years. I've got an OCZ 600SXS2 PSU (600W).

Everything is hooked up and seems to test and work fine. I've gone through each DIMM in Slot D1 and they all test ok individually. I've then gone to add a DIMM into B1 and only 8GB is detected. If I add a stick to C1, it detects fine. I can fully populate D1/2 and C1/2 and all 32GB shows up and gets through a full memtest pass fine. If I put anything in A or B, they don't detect.

Now these two pairs of channels are powered separately; I can see this in ROG Connect/TweakIT. Could the issue be PSU related? I'm on my second RIVBE for different reasons, but the first had the same symptoms also, I just didn't get as far testing it. I've re-seated the CPU, installed slowly, levelled the screws carefully on the H100 in the recommend pattern (cross shape, 1/2 turn each screw, only finger tight) I've been over the socket; I can't see any bent pins and couldn't previously on the first board either.

All of the above is done at BIOS defaults. After reading a lot of these forums, I'm probably being paranoid building this system. What I would really like to know, is anyone's opinion on the possible next step. I think I have two options:

1. PSU is under spec. Its close to calculator limits and is a few years old; Its running ok, the voltage seems fine in ROG Connect and I'm not overclocking or loading it; Its running with an AMD 5850 as a pure bench/testing card for now.

2. CPU problem. I would personally expect a CPU issue to be a bit more general; unsure why, but I guess it could be a duff controller?

Thoughts? Advice? Its about 8 weeks into me first receiving some of these bits, several replacements and lots of working away have gone on so its dragging on; I'd really like to get using instead of trying to build this thing...

#Edit. Despite checking, I still managed to misreport. Channels A and B are not detecting. C and D work fine.
17 REPLIES 17

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hi prawn!:)

the key thing to me is that you have had the same problem on two boards...that really does make me stary suspecting the CPU...lik eoyu yourself have guessed it does sound like the IMC is duff on that 4820K.

The PSU...I think that should be OK to fire up the system but could you tell me...does it have the 24pin 8 pin and 4 pin ATX power connectors for the board? I would be more comfortable in calling this if you did try another PSU that had more grunt and all the required connectors...if it is the case that this one is short.

hardcoreprawn
Level 7
The PSU only has 2, 4 pin connectors. I have got the EZ_PLUG in there as well.

I have a Seasonic 1K Platinum plus on back order at the moment, but still not heard when Its due 😞

I have actually tried three boards; I initially got a second hand P9X79Pro from an Amazon vendor, and that didn't work at all; in any configuration, so it went back and I decided I should get a _real_ motherboard...

I've been building PCs for maybe 18 years and did build servers professionally for a brief period, so I'm normally pretty careful, but 4 years since my last serious full build, so I just figured this LGA2011 was really tricky!

I'll try get an update on the PSU and maybe RMA the CPU before it that looks like the issue. I just know there's nothing to mechanically go wrong and the odds of a bad CPU are (apparently) so very low...

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Yes that is true and I would wonder about the power issue....you have the 8pin ATX fully populated?...4+4 as it were...if you've only got 4 pin power in the 8pin ATX I would hold off judging the CPU...

They don't physically fit in that way. I guess I will wait on the new PSU!

hardcoreprawn
Level 7
Ooo.. I put them in as 4 in the 8 and 4 in the second. I will try that now...

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Yes, I would wait...that Seasonic is a beaut and should eliminate power as the cause of this...and might well solve the issue...

Let us know...:)

So, just watching RC TweakIt while running memtest over the full 4 sticks, all in C/D channels and the CPU Voltage (should be 1.145v) is dipping, 1.087, 1.118, 1.066, etc. adding credence to the concern that there just isn't enough power heading in

I am going to hunt about to try get hold of a 'proper' rated PSU for this thing ASAP; 600w with 4 years on the clock probably means its running around 450w now I Guess and just can't keep up!

hardcoreprawn
Level 7
Well.. my only issue now is they're not expecting availability for another 10 days!

Any suggestions to replace it? I doubt I'll both with heavy SLI/XFire and I will probably be only using a 24/7 grade overclock; I was thinking probably about 1K is enough, but the AXi's from Corsair look good...

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I'd probably say the X1050 from Seasonic is pretty much an equal replacement or the X1250.... or sure an AX1200i platinum from corsair...