cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New ASUS G53SW Power supply - fake or genuine?

jamesgillre
Level 7
I posted a while back regarding my recent nightmare scenario of being 2 weeks out of warranty and have a DC jack fault - therefore meaning I had to pay for the repairs.

Shortly after this and getting my laptop back I had a dead power brick. No LED, no power, nothing. So I set out to look for a new power supply.

I found this one on amazon market place claiming to be genuine so I thought I would give it a go:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00FXHAFC8/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have received it and it is working perfect as far as I can tell. It is charging properly and there are no ill-effects from what I can tell. However, after thinking this is great, I started thinking could this be a copy since it was so cheap and the guy is operating out of china apparently.

The sticker on the back seems legit, albeit, there is an empty area in the top right area which wasn't like that on my old one. There serial number on my brick is the same, identical to the their stock photograph. So that is what got me worried.

Just wondering if anyone had any advice on how to tell if it is a fake or not, because ASUS tech won't tell me because I didn't buy it from ASUS estore.

The exact part number is ADP-150NB D.

Any advice appreciated -Please find some photographs I uploaded of the charger:

There is some writing on the cable and the LED is circular instead of eliptical on my original one.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Battlelog
Youtube channel

G53SW-A1 User
3 REPLIES 3

jamesgillre
Level 7
Okay no takers with this one,

So an alternative question : would a 3rd party charger that works and seems stable cause any harm to my system?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Battlelog
Youtube channel

G53SW-A1 User

I'm using a 3rd party (cheap) battery in my G73jh. They can go out of sync easy. What I have been doing is after I shut down, I unplug power pack from the notebook and from the wall outlet. It's been functioning fine for about a month or so now. Always charges good, and has about 2 hrs. of charge on battery alone (which is normal for my notebook.) But ordinarily if I'm going to be using the notebook for a while, I connect the charger.

If I leave the charger plugged in and charging while the notebook is off, the power pack will charge the battery to some indeterminate condition. When I power on the notebook the battery indicator will blink red/green and not show proper charge or discharge. That's what I mean by being out of sync. If that happens you have to turn off the notebook, disconnect the battery from the notebook, then reconnect, and reconnect charger, then turn on notebook. The battery should be synced again. 😮
Asus Maximus V Extreme BIOS 1903, see specs above avatar.

Asus G73 jh A1 laptop, BIOS 213, vBIOS OD2, 8 GB Ram, 240 GB Intel SSD, 180 GB Intel SSD. Win 7 Pro. Purchased new from PowerNotebooks.com in May 2010.
(both have 1920X1080 hd screens, mine above, hers below )
Asus G73 Sw XR1 laptop 8 GB Ram, 160 GB Intel SSD, 80 GB Intel SSD. Purchased used >Ebay 1/10/13, Did clean install of Windows 7

Pitcher1
Level 9
i think same spec it is able to use even 3th party.