cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BSODs in BF4 (Maximus Hero + 4770k)

Skywoof
Level 7
I have renamed this thread to get support for my constant BSODs while playing Battlefield 4. The thread was originally created to get some overclocking help, but this issue is much more important. Please skip ahead to the bottom of page 2.

OLD ORIGINAL POST:

Hey guys, I'm trying to OC my new rig and getting nowhere fast.

My specs:
i7 4770k
VI Maximus Hero
32GB Corsair Vengeance
Corsair H80i Cooler
SLI GTX 780s
Corsair 1050w PSU

I tried a guide on this site for the 4770k + Hero, BSODs
I tried AI Suite's Performance mode BSODs
The 4-way optimization BSODs

XMP is enabled (profile 1) all other settings are at optimized defaults and system is stable.

Don't know what else to do. All hardware appears to be functioning correctly.

Thanks for any help
32 REPLIES 32

Chino
Level 15
Welcome to the ROG forums, Skywoof.

Try setting your multiplier to 45 and using 1.35V. See if you can boot into your OS with those settings.

Skywoof
Level 7
Thanks for the welcome and reply!

I'm going to attempt that, but let me add a little more info.

After the 4-way optimization (and BSOD during the 2nd stage), I rebooted into Windows 8.1 and verified that the CPU was OC'd to 4.2 (it fluctuated between 800 and 4200). So I was able to boot into Windows, but when I went to stress the system (I used Unigine's Heaven GPU Benchmark), it BSOD'd, so I uninstalled AI suite and put everything back to defaults (except the XMP profile which I left active).

Skywoof
Level 7
Ok, I all 4 cores were set to 45 and CPU voltage was at 1.35 and it BSOD'd after the Win 8 loading screen

Nate152
Hi Skywoof, Lower the cpu core ratio to 44, see if you can make it into windows.

Skywoof
Level 7
Ok, new info. I had all settings at Optimized defaults and XMP on and PC rebooted in the middle of a BF4 game. I turned XMP back off.

Skywoof
Level 7
Well the kit I recently bought is cmz16gx3m2a1600c10
The other one I don't have the packaging for, but I got it from the same place (Best Buy) and I assume it's the same.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Mixing two sets of ram is not a good idea.

Please use only one and then try again shall we.

44x is a more likely outcome for the CPU as that is about the sweet spot for most average CPUs.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Mixing two sets of ram is not a good idea.

Please use only one and then try again shall we.

44x is a more likely outcome for the CPU as that is about the sweet spot for most average CPUs.

Might I ask how is it that many people have overclocked rigs with 32gb of ram? I doubt every one of them bought all 4 sticks in the same package. According to CPU-Z, all 4 8GB sticks are the exact same model number, just purchased at different times. What's more beneficial, OC'ing my CPU with 16GB or leaving it at 3.9 with 32?