cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do i need to overclock my gpu??

Alton_Brown
Level 7
Hi all!.. I'm back again! I hope this isn't a dumb question. I'm not asking it to be sarcastic at all what so ever! I just purchased the awesome Asus Gtx 780 DC2-OC 3G card.. Every video, every forum that I view or read insists on overclocking the card. Someone please tell me, if the card is running MINT in my system, all games are crisp, perfect and filled with smooth running eye candy at stock speeds.....Then why do I feel pressured to overclock the card? Will the card run better with a slight overclock? Does anyone have a good reason that will justify why I would consider overclocking the card?
9 REPLIES 9

Chino
Level 15

So if I feel that I do not need to gain extra performance and I could care less about bragging rights...Ill take your input (appreciated) as I shouldn't mess with overclocking at all. I don't see a need!..
thanks Chino

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Alton! it's an OC card it's OC'd already LOL:D

lol I KNOW!....ha ha!..

Chino
Level 15

Chino wrote:
No problem, mate. Overclock when you see the need. No point in doing so just because of peer pressure. LOL

Agreed!!!!!

Antronman
Level 10
You shouldn't OC any air-cooled card by much anyways, blower or not.
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

HiVizMan
Level 40
People want more performance, what they have is never enough. When folks make buying choices they tend to buy based on the reviews they read. And one of the key points in a review these days is can the card overclock?

Simple as that.

Should you - if you want. I do not bother for my 24/7 system. Not my GPU ever. No need.

Benching well that is another story....
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

danskieness
Level 10
i believe its mostly for bragging rights and benching, atleast thats why i think they are for, lastly no one hates extra "free" performance.
Mobo : Asus Maximus VI Impact || CPU : i5-4670k || Cooling : H100
GPU : MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G || PSU : Corsair RM 650 || Rams : G Skill Trident X 4GBx2 2400 CL10
Monitor : 2x Asus VX239h + 1x HP w2207h || Chassis : Bitfenix Prodigy Red || OS : WIN8.1 x64
Periphirals : Corsair K95, Logitech g402, Edifier 3350