cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G73SW A-1/3DE or G74SX A-1/3DE? What do you think?

panzerkiller13
Level 7
Well first off I would like to say that I just signed up for these forums because I was reading multiple threads and it was awesome to see how helpful and interested of a community this is! I just had a few questions though! I have been looking at the G-series laptops for about 2 years now just waiting for a model to be released that had better battery life and reliability. Well I think the G73SW and G74SX are they, but I'm not sure which one I should push for. I DEFINITELY want the full HD screen so Best Buy is out of the question, and I've also seen that BB versions are nerfed in other areas too so I don't want to touch them with a 10 foot pole. I'm just wondering, which model would best suit me? I want the one with the most battery life, a FHD gloss screen, and the coolest setup (tempwise).
I can't seem to find any head to head comparisons between the two with battery life or much of anything else at that, so I don't know for sure which one would last longer in the real world under the same circumstances. I have also seen reviews where one model was cooler than the other, but other reviews that show the opposite, but never in the same review pitted against each other so that's still inaccurate. Apparently there are also different screens too... this is why I was kinda turning away from the 3DE versions because I saw that they had matte screens and I prefer glossy ones. I also heard that the speakers on the G74 were not as robust as those on the G73, but I haven't found much information on that. Is there anyone out there that could make some sense of this for me? Basically, I want the one with the most battery life, a glossy full HD screen, a quiet fan (although if that's not possible with the other options I can make do), and good speakers.

Sorry my grammar and sentence structure probably isn't the best right now, it's about 11:30 and I'm about to pass out! 😄
5 REPLIES 5

jorlanm
Level 7
Ok here is the thing...

The only main difference is...

G73sw
- GTX460m, Sub-Woofer

G74sx
-GTX560m (Average 10% faster than the GTX460m), No Sub-Woofer

The optional difference is...

G73sw (A1 and 3DE)
- 8GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM (32 GB Max)
- 2x500GB 7200rpm Seagate Hybrid HDD

G74sx (A1 and 3DE)
- 12GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM (32 GB Max)
- 2x750GB 7200rpm HDD

Chipsets for both are exactly the same...the A1's are Glossy HD 60hz screen...The 3DE are 120Hz Matte Screen with 3D emiiter...For the Most part the 10% increase in the GPU will not be that noticable in most cases, The G73 can run anything the G74 can...But the G74 has a more efficient Video Card, The RAM for the most part 8GB is already overkill, most programs will be limited to run on 4GB RAM since a lot of them still run on 32-Bit environment...so the difference between 8GB and 12GB is negligeble...But thats still extra if you want to consider it.

Basically you cant go wrong with eaither one...If you want the latest go with the G74sx...if lower price is your target then get the G73sw
-ASUS ROG G73SW-3DE-
-Intel Core i7-2630QM Mobile Quad Processor
-Intel HM65 Express Chipset +ICH10
-17.3" 1920x1080 120Hz Anti-Glare Matte Screen
-nVidia GeForce GTX 460m 1.5GB GDDR5 VRAM
-nVidia 3D Vision Active Shutter Glasses
-Creative EAX Advanced HD 5.0
-THX TruStudio
-8GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM (Max 32GB)
-2x500 Seagate Momentous XT Hybrid HDD
-Blu-Ray 4x Burner
-Logitech Performance MX Darkfield Laser Mice
-Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

-XBOX360, PS3, Wii

jorlanm wrote:
Ok here is the thing...

The only main difference is...

G73sw
- GTX460m, Sub-Woofer

G74sx
-GTX560m (Average 10% faster than the GTX460m), No Sub-Woofer

The optional difference is...

G73sw (A1 and 3DE)
- 8GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM (32 GB Max)
- 2x500GB 7200rpm Seagate Hybrid HDD

G74sx (A1 and 3DE)
- 12GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM (32 GB Max)
- 2x750GB 7200rpm HDD

Chipsets for both are exactly the same...the A1's are Glossy HD 60hz screen...The 3DE are 120Hz Matte Screen with 3D emiiter...For the Most part the 10% increase in the GPU will not be that noticable in most cases, The G73 can run anything the G74 can...But the G74 has a more efficient Video Card, The RAM for the most part 8GB is already overkill, most programs will be limited to run on 4GB RAM since a lot of them still run on 32-Bit environment...so the difference between 8GB and 12GB is negligeble...But thats still extra if you want to consider it.

Basically you cant go wrong with eaither one...If you want the latest go with the G74sx...if lower price is your target then get the G73sw

Hi!, so it seems that you have an ASUS G73SW 1-A, me too. I just want to confirm with you that it supports in RAM 32 GB, is it correct? and what operative system is needed??

Thank you so much!!!

Chastity
Level 10
The G74SX-A1 vs G73SW-A1:

Battery Life: Equal, about 3 hrs surfing and using a battery conscious power setting, less if gaming

HDDs: G74SX: dual 750GB 7200 RPM drives G73SW: dual 500GB Momentus XT (faster boot times)

both units have glossy 1080p panels. FYI: the 3DE matte panel is brighter and has excellent color compared to the glossy 60Hz units

Fans: SX is quieter than the SW, but honestly they both are quiet performers.

Speakers: I think the SX has a fuller response sound, but they're both laptop solutions. I still prefer headphones and my Son iDock XF100iP
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]

Which one did you end up choosing? I am in the same boat and can't really decide which one to choose from. I am wondering why the g73sw has a 2 year warranty, but the g74sx only has a 1 year warranty. the price difference between the two is about 400 dollars for me, but i just cant decide if the g74 really is much of an improvement from the g73. the audio was quite on the display version i tried out in the store for the g74. Can anyone from trying the both really give me any advice why i should choose one over the other? Thanks for the help

Icemanforlife wrote:
Which one did you end up choosing? I am in the same boat and can't really decide which one to choose from. I am wondering why the g73sw has a 2 year warranty, but the g74sx only has a 1 year warranty. the price difference between the two is about 400 dollars for me, but i just cant decide if the g74 really is much of an improvement from the g73. the audio was quite on the display version i tried out in the store for the g74. Can anyone from trying the both really give me any advice why i should choose one over the other? Thanks for the help

There isnt realy a big difference between the two...mostly design changes...performance wise even though the G74sx averages about 10% performance increase...actual usage isnt that noticeable...if you want to see big improvement i suggest an MSI GT780DX...has a better GTX 570m Graphics forthe same price...
-ASUS ROG G73SW-3DE-
-Intel Core i7-2630QM Mobile Quad Processor
-Intel HM65 Express Chipset +ICH10
-17.3" 1920x1080 120Hz Anti-Glare Matte Screen
-nVidia GeForce GTX 460m 1.5GB GDDR5 VRAM
-nVidia 3D Vision Active Shutter Glasses
-Creative EAX Advanced HD 5.0
-THX TruStudio
-8GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM (Max 32GB)
-2x500 Seagate Momentous XT Hybrid HDD
-Blu-Ray 4x Burner
-Logitech Performance MX Darkfield Laser Mice