cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New User + Another G750JW Thread

Lil_Godwin
Level 8
Hey guys, I just bought the G750JW (hence the title) last week from BestBuy after a good solid week of constant research, and I have no complaints thus far. Though I do have a pretty generic question that seems to come up in some form or another, but I just want to make sure there are no loose ends. It seems to me that the best/only way to really spice up the computer's performance is by way of XTU and GPU Tweak (both of which I have yet to do but will be soon). I simply want to clarify that aside from what I've done already (listed below), if/when I utilize these two programs, there's not much else I can do to safely maximize this computer's performance.

In the past week, I've:

- backed up the original os/hdd to DVD
- added 8gb (2x4gb) to the already 8gb RAM
- installed a 120gb Samsung EVO 840 SSD
- installed Windows 7 Ultimate on said SSD (along with all appropriate drivers to my knowledge)
- departitioned/formatted/totally cleared and unified the original 1tb HDD to the best of my ability
- deleted Power4 Gear

... I think that's all. I know, basic stuff but from the reading and research I've done, it all was obviously necessary to help bring this caged beast to life. I have no real complaints so far (minus the fact that the amazingly large touchpad gets in the way when typing), though I haven't really put it to any real world tests, besides the 3dmark tests which yielded somewhat poor results shown HERE. I'm just looking to get the most out of it while being safe about it. I don't need desktop performance coming out of a laptop that some people seem to think they're going to get.

As a heads up, I'm currently on page 22 of the G750 forums. I've been doing some reading, and while I've found some interesting stuff, if there's anything left I can do that I haven't already (besides utilize the XTU and GPU Tweak which I will be soon), please let me know. I'm not wanting to squeeze ever bit of juice out of it, I do want to keep it safe for sure.

Other than that... Hello, ROG users :cool:

EDIT: One more thing, at least that I can think of right now. I have Bios version 207 and have yet to update to 208. Is it hard/risky? Is it necessary? Is it worth it? Thanks again.
9 REPLIES 9

getjohnalive
Level 7
Lil\' Godwin wrote:
Hey guys, I just bought the G750JW (hence the title) last week from BestBuy after a good solid week of constant research, and I have no complaints thus far. Though I do have a pretty generic question that seems to come up in some form or another, but I just want to make sure there are no loose ends. It seems to me that the best/only way to really spice up the computer's performance is by way of XTU and GPU Tweak (both of which I have yet to do but will be soon). I simply want to clarify that aside from what I've done already (listed below), if/when I utilize these two programs, there's not much else I can do to safely maximize this computer's performance.

In the past week, I've:

- backed up the original os/hdd to DVD
- added 8gb (2x4gb) to the already 8gb RAM
- installed a 120gb Samsung EVO 840 SSD
- installed Windows 7 Ultimate on said SSD (along with all appropriate drivers to my knowledge)
- departitioned/formatted/totally cleared and unified the original 1tb HDD to the best of my ability
- deleted Power4 Gear

... I think that's all. I know, basic stuff but from the reading and research I've done, it all was obviously necessary to help bring this caged beast to life. I have no real complaints so far (minus the fact that the amazingly large touchpad gets in the way when typing), though I haven't really put it to any real world tests, besides the 3dmark tests which yielded somewhat poor results shown HERE. I'm just looking to get the most out of it while being safe about it. I don't need desktop performance coming out of a laptop that some people seem to think they're going to get.

As a heads up, I'm currently on page 22 of the G750 forums. I've been doing some reading, and while I've found some interesting stuff, if there's anything left I can do that I haven't already (besides utilize the XTU and GPU Tweak which I will be soon), please let me know. I'm not wanting to squeeze ever bit of juice out of it, I do want to keep it safe for sure.

Other than that... Hello, ROG users :cool:

EDIT: One more thing, at least that I can think of right now. I have Bios version 207 and have yet to update to 208. Is it hard/risky? Is it necessary? Is it worth it? Thanks again.

if you want to make your laptop safe, then you should be more careful by using overclocking software as they can brick your laptop.
to update your BIOS, you should save your latest BIOS in a USB storage. then restart you PC and go to Bios and flash the bios to the latest. it is risk to use ASUS winflash app in windows to update your BIOS, it can brick your laptop. I see that your laptop came with windows 8, why did downgrade to windows 7? my G750JX with windows 8.1 is running very well, no issue so far.

Thanks for the reply, it somewhat answered my Bios update questions. And if you mean 'overclocking software' such as XTU and GPU Tweak as I mentioned, then yes that's what I plan on using. I wouldn't know how else to do it anyway.

I downgraded simply due to preference. Newer is definitely not always better. I actually would have downgraded to XP if it was compatible nowadays, but windows 7 is nice too.

brandontaz2k2
Level 7
Since you did read over 20 pages of this forum, would you be kind and write up a nice guide for us JW buyers as well? You'll get a lot of thankful people 😄

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Call me a safer but, you have a 765m GTX in there, you don't really need to clock it up do you?

I know it sounds weird, but I was never a believer in Over Clocking, sure it'll get the better performance, but I just don't see the point in punishing the devices beyond their designed work load, risking breaking them.

Maybe that's just a personal thing and you have much more experience, but doesn't this machine have enough power already? :c

Just don't forget that if you over-clock it, you MAY void your warranty as far as I'm aware.

Darnassus wrote:
Call me a safer but, you have a 765m GTX in there, you don't really need to clock it up do you?

I know it sounds weird, but I was never a believer in Over Clocking, sure it'll get the better performance, but I just don't see the point in punishing the devices beyond their designed work load, risking breaking them.

Maybe that's just a personal thing and you have much more experience, but doesn't this machine have enough power already? :c

Just don't forget that if you over-clock it, you MAY void your warranty as far as I'm aware.

How is ASUS going to find out if you overclocked? Just set everything back to default if you ever have to send it back in, bam no warranty voided. Overclocking is for the people that always want the maximum power out of the machine. Yes it degrades the life of the hardware, but if you keep the temperature down you can keep it running overclocked for a long time.

Darnassus wrote:

If you don't touch the voltages - which are normally locked on laptops anyway, then the risk of damage to the hardware is minimal - maybe a few Windows crashes, but nothing major, and depending on the system, you can get a nice performance bump (not huge, but nice under the right situations). Oh, and for some, the OC'ing is about doing it, not the results.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Zygomorphic wrote:
If you don't touch the voltages - which are normally locked on laptops anyway, then the risk of damage to the hardware is minimal - maybe a few Windows crashes, but nothing major, and depending on the system, you can get a nice performance bump (not huge, but nice under the right situations). Oh, and for some, the OC'ing is about doing it, not the results.

.. just about doing it? Like.. the feel of succession? Something you yourself put into the system? How interesting.. ':x

.. maybe I should try something small to begin with, try it for myself.

brandontaz2k2 wrote:
Since you did read over 20 pages of this forum, would you be kind and write up a nice guide for us JW buyers as well? You'll get a lot of thankful people 😄

Well I believe I can certainly answer some questions, lol. Though, while I read at least 7 threads per page on average, many were irrelevant to me because I didn't experience many of the issues that other G750JW owners got from their laptops. I do get the "I can't alter the screen brightness after laptop inactivity" though. Until I restart the computer, I can't change the brightness after I've closed the lid. Strange, but I suppose it has something to do with the ATK driver. I've downloaded a few of them and still get the same issue. It's obviously not a big deal, but a small annoyance.

Darnassus wrote:
.. just about doing it? Like.. the feel of succession? Something you yourself put into the system? How interesting.. ':x

.. maybe I should try something small to begin with, try it for myself.

It's worth it. I tried it a few times, and then went back to the stock clocks. It was an interesting mental and computer exercise, but nothing really important to me.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23