cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer reset to factory conditions suddenly.

APersonAmI
Level 7
Last night, while playing Killing Floor with my friends, my computer unexpectedly shut down. When I restarted it, it started performing the first-time startup: it was as I had never used it before, and none of my stuff was left.

However, 24,4 GB of my OS( C: ) has been reasigned as another folder: Recovery( E: ), containing 12.2 GB of data.

Can my computer be reset to how it was before it crashed last night? Can I do this myself, or should I send in the computer for service?

I am not a very tech-savvy person. If there is anything you need to know about my computer to help me in this matter, please tell me.

I am quite distraught at all my work dissapearing overnight. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.
7 REPLIES 7

HiVizMan
Level 40
Please list all your hardware or what PC you are using.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

APersonAmI
Level 7
I ran a program to get the info. Does this help?

Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i7 3610QM @ 2.30GHz
Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
RAM
4,00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. K55VM (SOCKET 0)
Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768@60Hz)
Intel HD Graphics 4000 (ASUStek Computer Inc)
2048MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M (ASUStek Computer Inc)
Storage
465GB Hitachi HTS545050A7E380 (SATA)
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GT51N
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

Probably best to list the make and model of this... i think perhaps an Asus Laptop? I would query the single channel ram though coupled with an i7
Rampage iv Extreme.....3930 i7.....32gb Corsair Vengeance....Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme....Matrix HD 7970 x 2 in crossfire....Creative Fatality Champion Soundcard - With front drive bay....Themaltake Toughpower XT Gold 1475 watt power supply.....Samsung SSD 830 512gb...Samsung 1TB HD x 2....Samsung Blu Ray drive....Samsung DVD drive...Windows 7 Ultimate....Thermaltake Overseer RX-1 case

APersonAmI
Level 7
The computer is an Asus K55V laptop. How do I query the single channel ram coupled with an i7?

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
APersonAmI wrote:
The computer is an Asus K55V laptop. How do I query the single channel ram coupled with an i7?

You can always search on the internet using a search engine, but since you provided your K55V model already, it's not necessary since that's what we wanted to find out.

Anyway, it's not too obvious to me what went wrong and what the situation is, so if you agree, you may just want to contact your local ASUS support through this link http://support.asus.com/Hotlines.aspx?SLanguage=en to discuss more and check what they suggest.

It sounds like something pretty serious occurred though if you lost all your information, so you may just want to send it in for diagnostics at least just to make sure we don't find any problems with the hard drive or other hardware, but they probably cannot save any of the data if it matters.
Hopefully they can help you find a way to prevent that from happening again.

Good luck!

HiVizMan
Level 40
Sorry I can not help you I have however moved your thread to the notebook section where you may find more able assistance than that I can offer.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

D_5
Level 7
I can't see the image very well but it is in the first the third(black one) and the last as the graphics cards take up more than 2 lanes.