cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freezing then CPU LED?

Vultima
Level 7
Hi, I have a bit of an odd problem that has only start to come about recently - Crosshair Formula V

Problem: Computer Freezing at random time intervals, sometimes 2 mins into OS being loaded(earliest yet) - to a few hours of being on and in use.

If I restart my computer immediately after freeze by doing a complete power on/off cycle(power off button then power on), the computer will post, load OS and everything seems relatively fine(until the next freeze of course).

However if I restart the PC without turning the power off(reset button) just after a crash, the computer will fail to even post and the DRAM LED was on, so I did memtest ect..results were fine, however it did crash once during an extended test.
Another time the CPULED was on, and another time after that the VGA light was on, however most of the time it is the CPU LED.

Basically I am a bit confused by this behaviour not entirely sure what is going on, is this a faulty motherboard or something else?

Other information.
It is not overclocked or has even been
RAM in the BIOS has the correct timings/voltage
BIOS is updated to latest update
15 REPLIES 15

HiVizMan
Level 40
Please post your full hardware list.

Ensure your PSU connectors to the 12v EPS connectors both the 8 pin and the 4 pin are fitted.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Hi thanks for replying,

The PSU 8 pin(4+4) connectors are inserted, the other 4 pin slot has always remained vacant, apparently it is only for overclocking?

Motherboard: Crosshair Formula V
CPU: AMD FX 8350
GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 570 SC 2.5GB
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 (CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9) http://www.corsair.com/vengeance-8gb-dual-channel-ddr3-memory-kit-cmz8gx3m2a1866c9.html
SSD: Corsair Force GS
HDD: 3TB Western Digital
PSU: Can't actually remember, some obscure brand, but its 650Wats, quad rail 20A. 80 Gold ect...

I actually just bought a new PSU today since this garbage one was just bugging me.

HiVizMan
Level 40
With the processor you are using I strongly suggest you fit the 4 pin. You can get an adaptor that will work, the CPU does need the extra connector.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Sgthawker
Level 7
Your symptoms seem to match a PSU issue I have seen in the past. Let us know if the replacement one you have purchased stops the issue.
Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | AMD FX 8350 | G.Skill TridentX 2400 16G | Asus Matrix GTX 580 Platinum | Sandisk Extreme SSD 480GB | SB X-Fi Titanium HD | Asus VG248QE | Corsair AX860i PSU | Lian-Li PC-V1200 | Win 7 Pro x64 | Zalman CNPS 9900 Maxx

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
If the new PSU doesn't work. Click on the Memtest86+ Guide in HiVizMan's signature and follow it. It sounds a bit like a RAM problem.

Hi guys I appear to have found the culprit but need help in deciding my next steps.

The problem is the PSU, in fact the CPU 12V 4+4 that HiVizMan pointed out, are completely fried, the plastic bits on the connectors have actually melted, hence the CPU LED and therefore the insufficient power and freezing, and it appears that the plastic from the connectors is now wrapped around the connectors inside the motherboard.

I have attached links to the pictures, sorry for the quality I had to zoom in quite a bit just so it was visible on the camera.

Image 1(4+4pin connectors burnt)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sgwdtnpdzpya4gz/MoboConnectorsBurnt.png
Image 2(Motherboard connectors wrapped in plastic)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7z9lnjfwjwrh0s2/MOBO%20Burnt.png

Im not entirely should what I should do at this point, I have a new PSU coming anyway so that is that problem solved, but what about the damage to the motherboard, is it irreparable?

TheNerdBench
Level 10
Ouch!

It is hard to see (as you pointed out) but is there anything left of the "pins"? What does the bottom of the board look like?

If the pins are still "there" but coated in melted plastic then try the following:

Get some dentist type "picks" (Harbor Freight) or maybe some de-soldering tools (2nd choice as they are larger) from Radio Shack to try and pry away the melted plastic...a sharp Xacto knife my help too but be careful not to cut any tracks on the board.

I'm not sure if this board will fire up again but you won't know until you get the plastic off the pins (if that is the case).

If the pins are gone then find someone who is handy with electronics who owns a soldering station; you may be able to un-solder the connector (don't do this with a $20 soldering iron) and find a trashed board and un-solder and transfer the connector to your board; only do this as a last ditch effort as this is a multi-layer board that may have some damage done in between the layers.

Keep us posted.

[/HR]
For trouble-shooting tips see my blog at:

[/HR]
http://thenerdbench.blogspot.com/p/bench-testing.html

[/HR]
MB: Crosshair V Formula-Z • CPU: FX-8350 • GPU: Asus Matrix R9 280x • RAM: 8GB of Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer (1866)• PSU: Thermaltake DPS Thoughpower 750 Watt • CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio Advanced • Keyboard: TT Sports Challanger Ultimate • Mouse: TT Sports Black Element • Case: Thermaltake GT Level 10

[/HR]

Vultima
Level 7
Hi thanks for your suggestion,

The one at the top appears to be completely intact, and has very little plastic around it, the one at the bottom however I cannot see a thing, it appears to be completely coated in plastic 😕