cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG SWIFT PG278Q + Nvidia 3D Vision

feldoh
Level 7
Hi guys. I am wanting to upgrade to a GSync monitor and was thinking of the ROG SWIFT PG278Q or the Asus 24" VG248QE. The ROG swift is a clear winner in terms of quality. But I do love NVidia 3D Vision. So my question is; will the ROG Swift monitor allow me to use Nvidia 3D vision 2?

I understand it does not have a built in emitter but what about the external emitters? It seems that this monitor has all the necessary specs to allow 3D vision 2 with an external emitter and the GSync strobing with fixed frame rate should provide effective lightboost... So will it work because I don't want to buy an $799 screen that does not let me use my 3D.
14 REPLIES 14

feldoh
Level 7
Thanks. I am still not entirely sure though. The negative answer was citing variable frame rates as the issue but GSync has 2 modes. One with dynamic frame rate for fixing stutter and one with a static frame rate to fix blur. Surely this would fix the stated problem. Essentially I read that as, you can't do both at the same time... Admittedly not ideal but I could still go 3D and accept stutter, or for 3D Blu-rays which do not suffer from stutter due to constant frame rate and gain the ability to use GSync whenever I am not playing in 3D.

Kronvict
Level 9
feldoh wrote:
Hi guys. I am wanting to upgrade to a GSync monitor and was thinking of the ROG SWIFT PG278Q or the Asus 24" VG248QE. The ROG swift is a clear winner in terms of quality. But I do love NVidia 3D Vision. So my question is; will the ROG Swift monitor allow me to use Nvidia 3D vision 2?

I understand it does not have a built in emitter but what about the external emitters? It seems that this monitor has all the necessary specs to allow 3D vision 2 with an external emitter and the GSync strobing with fixed frame rate should provide effective lightboost... So will it work because I don't want to buy an $799 screen that does not let me use my 3D.

JJ from asus Confirmed on the asus PCDIY channel that 3D vision is not supported.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMMtsnEfWeY

kkn wrote:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?42313-Gaming-27-quot-monitor&p=359060&viewfull=1#post359060

That specific post has no information on 3D vision at all.

feldoh
Level 7
Well that's a shame. I was really looking forward to this screen. Ah well, hopefully they will bring one out in the future. For now I will stick to the VG248QE.

X-ROG
Level 15
It does not come with the 3D emitter built in, but if you have the equipment it will support it if the Nvidia drivers support it. No different from the VG248Q.

3D Ready = inc. emitter
3D capable = not inc. emitter.

claydough
Level 7
then why not advertise 3dvision ready and work with nvidia? Looks like I am getting the g-sync kit instead 😞

claydough wrote:
then why not advertise 3dvision ready and work with nvidia? Looks like I am getting the g-sync kit instead 😞

Because in their nomenclature 3D ready would mean that you needed no additional hardware i.e. the emitter was built in. There is no emitter built in so they are not advertising it as such. IT just means you need to buy one of these: http://www.nvidia.com/object/product-geforce-3d-vision2-wireless-glasses-kit-us.html

Also such a comparatively small number of people have 3D vision that their advertising department never considered advertising it. Actually very few screens that are compatible do directly advertise it. Remember that they need to convince as many people as possible as quickly as possible and the number of people for which it it a dealbreaker is tiny I had to get right down to the techies before anyone could even tell me so the chances of the marketing guys even knowing is essentially 0.

abvolt
Level 11
the release date is still sometime in Q2 hopefully..
Current: MSI Xpower Gaming Titanium | 7700K | G Skill Ripjaws V 3000 16Gb | 960 EVO 500Gb | Intel 730 480Gb | Seasonic 1000 Platinum |
NZXT X62 | Acer XB270HU | EVGA 1080 ti FTW3

Secondary: R4BE | 4930K | G.SKILL 2400 16GB | Corsair AX 1500i
Intel 730 240GB + 480GB | EVGA GTX780 ti sli kpe | Custom H20

Antronman
Level 10
How many people actually use 3D Vision?
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me