cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75VW boot problem, need advice

srentiln
Level 7
The issue:

Got a ssd and tried to clean install win 7 on it (original hdd removed) but the computer wouldn't boot from the disk.
Removed ssd and replaced hdd to try to find a solution, but the bios wouldn't list the hdd in the boot options.
SATA configuration shows that the bios recognizes the hdd.
Attempted to update the bios to see if that would fix the issue, but it said the data was too old in the bios flash utility.

All similar issues I found on the forum did not resolve the issue.

Doubt it changes much, but my G75VW is the TigerDirect build (got it on sale after my last laptop had complete hardware failure)
2 REPLIES 2

Clintlgm
Level 14
With your SSD in only, on boot up spam the ESC, key should bring up a boot menu select your SSD

Well this thread has the information you need to clean install win 7. You should know that you'll need 64 bit Version with SP1 to have UEFI GPT support. Its best to set up a USB thumb drive for the install media. Your system from the factory is set up UEFI GPT not BIOS MBR. Sevenforum has some pretty good guide on clean installing.
You could try running a repair install on your SSD Installation
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
srentiln wrote:
The issue:

Got a ssd and tried to clean install win 7 on it (original hdd removed) but the computer wouldn't boot from the disk.
Removed ssd and replaced hdd to try to find a solution, but the bios wouldn't list the hdd in the boot options.
SATA configuration shows that the bios recognizes the hdd.
Attempted to update the bios to see if that would fix the issue, but it said the data was too old in the bios flash utility.

Doubt it changes much, but my G75VW is the TigerDirect build (got it on sale after my last laptop had complete hardware failure)

Welcome to the forums!
Hmm..if necessary, you might want to confirm you are really running into 2 issues right now (and which you are more worried about?).

1. Problem to boot from disk to install Win7 on an SSD.

2. Can't boot to your 'normal' (Win8?) hard drive after removing the SSD and reinstalling it?

I'd expect you could do at least one of those things above if you didn't change any bios settings, but you may want to confirm that your G75VW came with Win8 (earlier G75VW units came with Win7 for anybody that's interested) and you see options in your bios under the 'Boot' menu for 'Launch CSM' and 'Secure Boot Control' under the 'Security' menu.

Anyway, if you see these bios settings and are still interested, we can confirm the correct settings you should use for issues #1 and #2 listed above.