cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

765m to 780m?

cronik916
Level 7
is it possible to upgrade my 765m off my g750jw to a 780m off the jh or jx model, cnat remeber which one has it. anyway i know it the same exact case and i dont care about my warranty if it is indeed possible. i was nervous about dropping 2k on a laptop in the beginning since it would be my first laptop i had ever purchased, i always just build my own desktop rigs but wanted something portable. so i just got the basic model to see how it worked compared and im still amazed at how bad ass this thing is now i just wish i had the most powerfull gpu, i already have ssds in it and 32gb of ram but just the 765m. i still run everything on ultra but i just want the best one. so internally would it work or am i sol? thanks in advance for your guys help. cheers.
10 REPLIES 10

balundab
Level 7
this is me btw, cronik916. i forgot my password or something one night and just created another account. anyway cheers lol.

balundab
Level 7
damn it all to hell. just read the sticky on specs of them and he eludes to the fact that there would be minor chassis design diffrences to deal with the higher wattage 780m. so now my question is can i go from the 765m to the 770m and do they have diffrent psu's or does the diffrent chassis designs of the 780m stem from the fact that the power connectors on the actuall gpu are in a diffrent spot do to more cudas and ram modules on it making the power connector in a diffrent place. iono just brainstorming. thanks in advance

getjohnalive
Level 7
I have the G750JX model with GTX770 and I run Battlefield 4 on Ultra setting with this laptop. but I also wanted to upgrade to a best one, the GTX780. but I am afraid it is not possible to upgrade GPU on the G750 series. because I think the GPU and CPU are soldered to the Motherboard.

balundab
Level 7
damn, well good to know anyway.

Aram_yossarian
Level 8
Hi cronik/balundab

The variant with the 780m is the G750JH, it is actually a slightly different case with larger heatsinks and cooling vents to cope with the heat the 780m generates. There were rumours that there are a few 780m's in JW style cases but I've never seen an image confirming this. I'd worry that you would find if you could manage to upgrade the heat would be too much.

Just to clairfy the CPU in the 750s is soldered in place, the GPU is on a daughter board that connects through what looks like an MXM standard socket. Now the card is not actually MXM, its bigger and previous gaming laptops from asus have not used standard wiring in the MXM connector. However if you could get an Asus 780m you MIGHT be able to physically switch. However you'd then need to get the firmware in your lappy to play nicely with the hardware and this is often not as easy as in desktop land.

Bottom line is unless you are willing to invest a fair bit of time, effort and money sourcing the right parts finding/modifying the firmware I'd think twice about this.

sasuke256
Level 7
i think only the 770M is on the kind of MXM module, the GTX 765M is soldered..
Laptop : ASUS G750JW : i7 4700HQ - 16Gb - 2Tb HDD - GTX 765M OC (+135/500) - Full HD Matte - Win 8.1
Retiered : Toshiba L670 i5 560M/8Gb Corsair/1TB/HD5650 1Gb @ 625/800 /WD 1Tb USB3/Win7

Aram_yossarian
Level 8
I've seen images for the 770 and 765 showing as a daughter board, come to think of it and my current question to pierre I've not actually seen one of the 780m, damn maybe THAT is soldered

Aram_yossarian
Level 8

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
They're all MXM based and an expensive upgrade path, you'd need to cut the casing to also fit in a bigger cooling unit to cope with the heat output from a 780m