cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot POST.

Retired
Not applicable
Well not totally true. The system was posting albeit with a cpu fan error every time on boot and was doing so quite successfully for probably two weeks. Figured it wasn't a huge deal as the fan would just not begin spinning until after it was almost to the bootloader screen. Yesterday the computer went down in the middle of a linux session and gave me an ec or ec flash might be corrupted error when I tried to reboot and immediately shutdown. I tried to reset the cmos by moving the pin connector as described in the user guide. Following that the system will not post at all. I am getting a red led cpu light on power on though no dram light error. If I power on by memOK it will give me the red cpu light as well as the flashing dram led both red. The cpu fan also has ceases to spin if plugged into the 4 pin slot for the cpu. Will spin fine if it is any other fan slot though.

I have tried moving the memory slots around and going down to one stick of memory with no luck so far on that. Not sure if it is a memory problem, cpu problem or mobo problem though any suggestions would be helpful rather than having to go through the trouble of unassembling a completely new build and RMAing the whole project.

Current setup:

Crosshair V
AMD 1100T BE
2x4Gb Patriot Viper Extreme PXD38G1866ELK
Coolermaster CPU fan
Silverstone ST1000P 1000 watt PSU
EVGA GeForce GTX560ti

Thanks for any help any more information needed feel free to ask.

Tom
9 REPLIES 9

Mummy
Level 8
sry my english isnt good but as you have only CPU light/led on.
1. i reinstall all power cables to motherboard.
2. i remove all unneed device. so only mb, cpu, psu and 1 mem. stick remains. and try again.
3. i reinstal my cpu and middel of it look how is it looks to eye...
Edit; and try other PSU, wont have to start to OS only to BIOS
CPU: AMD FX-8150 MB: ASUS Crosshair V Formula DDR3: 2x4GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3-1866
GPU: ASUS 7970 SSD: 4x Corsair F3 120GB @ Raid0 PSU: SF Golden Silent 500W OS: W7 Ultimate 64bit

Retired
Not applicable
Just don't have another PSU / CPU / Mobo / Memory around so trying to avoid ordering something unless it seems one of them can be seen as the main contributor. Don't mind having to return two products don't really want to return four. The PSU seems to power all other fans and the video card just fine. I will try moving the cables around on the PSU just to check that box off but I do not think that is problem. Only my second build though so I could very well be wrong

EDIT: Returned back to minimal components at the moment. Can I plug some headphones in and listen for some beep codes or do I have to find a speaker to plug directly into the mobo? No signs of damage to the CPU, and moved some plugs around on the PSU. Same diagnostics memOK brings up flashing DRAM, normal boot just lights up the PSU led. Just frustrated as it was running smoothly yesterday and doesn't want to anymore or so it seems.

Mummy
Level 8
sry beep codes only come out from mb pins or in build speacker if it had on(but this on dont).
Same diagnostics memOK brings up flashing DRAM
so if you have minimum setup, press that mem ok ~10 times(press only when it dont flash any more, so just stays on) and move your mem stick to other slot, after those 4 slots, move to that other stick if you have one and tey all it again.
CPU: AMD FX-8150 MB: ASUS Crosshair V Formula DDR3: 2x4GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3-1866
GPU: ASUS 7970 SSD: 4x Corsair F3 120GB @ Raid0 PSU: SF Golden Silent 500W OS: W7 Ultimate 64bit

Retired
Not applicable
So I should try memOK on every stick approximately 10 times going up and down the board with all compatible DDR3 looking for a position where the memOK function returns a solid led on DRAM?

Just making sure I am diagnosing this correctly. Not sure if I am looking for a flashing DRAM led from memOK or if I am looking for a solid light on memOK. Wish there was an easier way to do board diagnostics.

EDIT: CPU is definitely generating heat, just mave have been turning it on and off before it was really getting too warm. Let it run a little longer on last time and it definitely warms up quite a bit. At least makes me know that CPU isn't dead if that was a possibility. Is it possible that the connector for the cpu fan is faulty or at least very tempermental as it seems to not start for half a second then quits. Even when it was POSTing, it took a while for the fan to get going. Other thought is that the memory had some issue and died. Both sticks did register on BIOS when it was working, seems odd that it would die like that? Haven't had memory problems before this.

Mummy
Level 8
Sry im not full my self, but you did understand me wrong.
if you dont count those x-max leds only the ones that on default shows your post progres. in end you shouldnt see any led.
BUT after Dram to VGA led at least i se no light. so when you have a boot problem you have to look that board gos to all of hose 4 leds..

btw. read again my firsth post, i didnt mean that you have to return any thing. Just "Reinstalling" basic components sometimes do the world around us.

EVIL_CONSERVATI
Level 7
I personally would double check that no solder lands are shorting to metal of the case on the bottom of the MB .. It sounds stupid but have seen it before, Some builds will work fine for a while but due to heat / temp changes, movement / relocation of the entire case the main board could be making contact. At .001 of an inch even ambient temp change and or humididty can cause a static short to ground. Saddly to say in allot of these situations result in death of one or more major componenents. I would try losening every main board screw about 3/4 turn and try to fire it up.

Also the slow fan start up leads me to another possible conclusion. UNPLUG the fan completely see if it will boot if so shut it off immediately so you dont cook it !. If you have a failing fan it may be causing an amperage alert on initial startup as it is drawing too much load before the fan controller takes over at full 5V which pushes past the bad fan start up threshold. The Board will boot with NO fan, Im liquid cooled and nothing plugged into CPU power/sensor port.

Try Both possible solutions but I'd try unplugging the fan first.
1100 BE Liquid Cooled, CHV, 16Gig Corsair Vengeance 1866 @ 2032, two ASUS ATI 3870's liquid cooled O.C.ed to 890Mhz, 3 Velociraptor 500G in raid 0, ocz SSD boot drive, 1200W Thermaltake P.S.

Retired
Not applicable
Yeah when it stopped giving me monitor response on reboot, post resetting the CMOS the mobo has been on top of its box with a plastic bag between it and the box. No stray screws or what not around as far as I can tell that would generate a short on the boot, though I have seen that as well. I tried pulling the fan and running the RAM through all four slots, no monitor connection, no signs of entering BIOS. The memory I have is technically not compatible but it has worked before, came as a NewEgg package but it isn't officially listed in the manual. Not sure if I should try getting new memory or to start looking to replace PSU, CPU or mobo at this point. Thanks for the responses. Hoping to have some sort of direction chosen out by the end of the weekend so I can get back to work on it next weekend.

tjduhamel wrote:
Yeah when it stopped giving me monitor response on reboot, post resetting the CMOS the mobo has been on top of its box with a plastic bag between it and the box. No stray screws or what not around as far as I can tell that would generate a short on the boot, though I have seen that as well. I tried pulling the fan and running the RAM through all four slots, no monitor connection, no signs of entering BIOS. The memory I have is technically not compatible but it has worked before, came as a NewEgg package but it isn't officially listed in the manual. Not sure if I should try getting new memory or to start looking to replace PSU, CPU or mobo at this point. Thanks for the responses. Hoping to have some sort of direction chosen out by the end of the weekend so I can get back to work on it next weekend.

Umm when you say plastic bag youre scaring me... Plastic Equals STATIC especially with High Frequency voltage / EMF flying across it ! ... you most likely fried the board if not more !.. For Future Reference goto the local hardware store and get a piece of clear un tempered glass a little larger than a MB. GLASS is a total electrical insulator will not transfer static or in your case ultra Hi frequency static. Even the anti static component bags I wouldnt trust as a benched MB insulator. Geesh Im picturing a Wal Mart Smiley face plastic bag under your board .. NIGHTMARES ALL NIGHT now ...Thanks
1100 BE Liquid Cooled, CHV, 16Gig Corsair Vengeance 1866 @ 2032, two ASUS ATI 3870's liquid cooled O.C.ed to 890Mhz, 3 Velociraptor 500G in raid 0, ocz SSD boot drive, 1200W Thermaltake P.S.

Retired
Not applicable
no the anti static component bag, definitely not convenience store plastic bag. I figured that would work as a benched insulator on top of the box on a tiled floor. Hopefully that stops some nightmares. Thanks for having some confidence in my computer building skills. I will take you up on the untempered glass for the future. Hopefully the board is not completely fried though.