cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74Sx additionnal issues

Retired
Not applicable
Hi,

Would it be possible to have a clear and complete sticky post detailing all the fixes that need to be done for the laptop to be fully functionnal ?

I just spent 2hours on the forum and couldn't figure out what was still necessary (if necessary at all). Also some issues are not referenced together under one simple to use fix thread.

I updated the BIOS to .202 version, updated ATK to the latest ver. after uninstalling the .8 one.

Two things:
-Do I need to take care of some CPU throttling problem?

-My keyboard backlighting flashes on start-up but won't come back on once windows is launched. The fn+f2, fn+f3, fn+f4... combinations don't work anymore. The OSD that usually pops up when using those hotkeys is gone. The only working combinations are fn+f5 and fn+f6 (screen brightness control) but still without On Screen Dislay of the little fake-3D "wheel" with blue in it. The "ROG logo" key next to the power button is also out of order (no cycling throug modes/3D mode toggling).

Could someone please sum-up what fixes need to be applied and point me to a solution regarding how to fix the broken hotkeys and gone OSD.

Your help would be greatly appreciated as I couldn't find any sastisfying answer so far!

Thanks in advance for answering/helping me.

Regards,
Vincent.
54 REPLIES 54

Retired
Not applicable
Hello again,

I fixed the "hotkeys not functionning" problem by uninstalling and reinstalling the ATK Package drivers.
I still can't figure out why it failed in the first place but since it's fixed I guess it doesn't matter anymore. As long as it doesn't fail again for no reason, I'll be satisfied 🙂

I would still be interested in knowing if I need to take care of the throttling issue with Sandy bridge CPUs, or if the BIOS revision might have taken care of the problem somehow. If anyone could help me out I would be thankful.

Vincent.

Chastity
Level 10
Hi Vincent! Thank you for purchasing your ROG. 🙂

As for your issues, you already redid the ATK, which is what I was going to suggest. After updating the ATK, sometimes it needs 2 reboots to properly setup.

As for the throttle issue, it's a situation that is still being investigated. here's a link explaining the issue and how to setup Throttlestop properly. It only needs to run once, and can be turned off afterwards. The Throttlestop homepage has more info and a full guide on setting it up, including how to get it to shut down automatically after starting.

http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?3322-Sandybridge-Throttle-Issue-and-Workaround
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]

grungeboy2
Level 10
sounds like the g74sx is a garbage laptop, to be avoided at all costs.

Retired
Not applicable
Thank you Chastity for the link and the info. 🙂

@grungeboy: It's true that there's a couple of issues that require fixing on first use but the fixes are easy and available. This forum is an excellent resource by the way.
Despite the flaws, which can be very frustrating, I'm still very happy with it and have been able to use it whithout any limitation.

@Grungeboy

Every laptop no matter which company you look at will have some sort of issues in a specific model. I'm running a Asus G74Sx-A1 right now and haven't had 1 single issue with it since day 1, and I've had it for over a month. In my opinion it's the best laptop I have owned, and was a major upgrade from my previous Dell Alienware; mainly because of the superior cooling. My GPU on full load never gets above 54c, which is seriously impressive; and to mention I'm not even using a cooling pad at the moment. The processor is ridiculously fast, the 3gb DDR5 560m can run any game, and I play Rift maxed out.

The G74 series is no where near garbage. Some laptops off the line just weren't built perfectly, like every company. If you'd rather buy something else why don't you go get an HP. Have a fun time dealing with their bullshit support and horrible laptops.
| Asus G74Sx-A1 | GeForce GTX 560m 3gb GDDR5 |
| 16Gb 1333Mhz DDR3 Ram | 2630QM I7-Quad Core |
| BluRay + Bluetooth | 2x 750gb Sata HDD Drives |

LOL. i bought my wife a HP. i was a early adopter of the Asus G-Series. i actually used to work for a company in LaVergne, TN called Quanta Computers. they handled warranty level repairs of Compaq, HP, and Gateway, they also manufactured motherboards for the Macbooks and Macbook Pros. so if you sent your laptop in because you dropped it in a pool or your 15 year old son put a password on it and can't remember, i was the guy who fixed it (obviously i mean i was one of the guys). cracked screen, dead wifi card, mostly stuff that had been broken by the user at some point, and usually we'd do everything we could to score the parts to fix it so that there wouldn't be any cost. sometimes if one was out of warranty, we'd set it aside until we got a similar model that was in warranty and then order the parts for that one to fix the out of warranty one at no cost.

i've seen it all man, saw a iphone 4 earlier today that had been backed over by a car, save for the fact that the front and back screens were completely shattered, it still worked.

the G74's have a extremely high failure rate, i hope that's the reason why they've held off on a G54, i want to see Asus fix the problem, but that doesn't mean they didn't strike out on this one. it's not like they didn't pack it with sweet hardware or a awesome feature set all for a reasonable price, but somewhere along the way something went wrong and it seems like there are major issues.

if anyone asks, my advice would be to get a G73 or whatever, but i couldn't in good conscience advise anyone to get a G74.

grungeboy wrote:
the G74's have a extremely high failure rate

Not to be argumentative, but this is based on what? It's very easy to start feeling negatively about a product line or the brand in general if you read everything on this board. But we have to keep reminding ourselves that the posts on this board are not indicative of anything larger. Based on the number of units that ASUS will sell for any of its products, the posts we get here are statistically insignificant. This is further skewed by the fact that happy customers don't take the time to find the ASUS website, create an account, and post their experience. It happens but it's very rare.

All of that is not to say that there aren't problems which seem to be affecting multiple customers and may affect many more who have not posted here, but there's no mathematically sound way to even estimate how many. We don't even know how many units have been shipped or purchased, let alone returned or RMA'd.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
I didn't start this thread expecting that kind of outcome but I agree with what you said grungeboy.
It truly is wrong that the G74 requires the buyer to fix it before it can operate smoothly.

Having said that, I chose Asustek over another brand because of the good feedback I got from a number of people and there is definitely some truth in what xeromist says above. There aren't that many threads about serious failures on the part of the G74, and (at least in my case) the only truly recurrent issues are the ones about the keyboard drivers and the BIOS needing updating.
I trust Asus for providing us with a definitive update of the BIOS as soon as possible, that'll turn the calc. key into a Numlock one and eventually take care of the throttling problem if necessary (which, from what I understand, originates from a design flaw on Intel's part).

Now, at the risk of repeating myself, my G74 pleases me very much. I'll admit that I was very annoyed by the Numpad issue when I first used it but hopefully these computers will soon be packed with an updated BIOS making them good to go from purchase. Until then, the soundest thing to do might be to tell people who consider buying a G74 that either they'll have to apply those fixes or that they should consider waiting or settling for another model.

I hope everyone's issues will find their solutions.

regards, Vincent.

Mylar188 wrote:
I chose Asustek over another brand

i concour.