cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G53SW boot problem with SSD Samsung 840 evo

titoman40
Level 7
Hello I installed a Samsung 840 Evo 250GB and install Win8.1 in AHCI mode.

The windows boot when it likes and work fine but it show me random error "A disk read error occurred " when restart, and sometimes the ssd doesn't shown on bios and boot list. This can be solved restarting several times the laptop untill it boot fine, but take like 5-10mins to make it boot.

I use the laptop to work and i cant take this boot problem all times, i go back to my old HDD because the boot problem with the SSD was taking sometimes hours of restarting to make the windows boot up.

If someone know a way to make the Samsung 840 Evo work fine, bios update or anything please let me know.

My bios ver. is the last from the web 203.

P.S.: Excuse my bad english.
8 REPLIES 8

Pitcher1
Level 9
if you install win 7 is it ok or still fail, because i saw the support site, it only support to win7.

I tried yesterday with win 7, install all clean and reinstall all fine and did 5-7 restart and booted fine but after turn off the laptop for 5min+ and turn on again the same error apear "A disk read error occurred ", and tried several restart and nothing.

Hi guys,

titoman40, i have exactly the same problem as you described.

My exact model is the G53SW-A1, which came with an 750GB SATA-3 drive.
Recently i decided to "boost" my performance by adding an SSD for the OS.
I looked around online (reviews, etc) and got positive feedback on the Samsung SSD's,
mostly the Evo & Pro series.

Therefore i bought a 250GB Evo 840 (price was good) and put it in the 2nd disk slot in the G53SW.

Decided to make a "clean" Win 7 install, started up the laptop (Win7 usb efi boot), started installation
normally (SSD detected straight away) but right after the 1st reboot of Win 7 installation, i get the exact
same message "A disk read error occured. Press CTRL + ATL + DEL to restart", even if previously it extracted
and installed the Win7 files.

After searching online about this issue (today actually), the closest to our mutual problem is what you described.
I too, tried restarting several times and noticed that sometimes the SSD is missing in the BIOS, therefore it will
obviously not boot (for any OS you may have).

So it is not an OS issue, it is clearly a H/W issue between the laptop/bios and/or our Samsung SSD drive.

A friend of mine has the exact same model/type laptop as myself and had installed an OCZ 120GB SSD (a while ago)
and never had such issues, therefore i can assume it's like i suspect.
It must be some kind of H/W between Evo (maybe) and our G53SW series.

Like yourself, I too have G53SW bios ver. 203 (Asus latest) and also the Evo 840 SSD has the latest firmware
(checked from the site - EXT0BB6Q).

Our only chance is by bringing the 2 together (Asus & Samsung) in order to figure this out, otherwise we wont
have much chance in solving this ourselves.

I'll still look around for any other reports for this. If i stumble upon any solution/workaround, i'll let you know
by posting it here.

In the meantime, if you too, find anything, kindly let me know.

Best Regards,
Eros

(proud owner of a G53SW - for the moment!)

G53SW-A1_16G
Level 7
Hello again,

I'm pleased to report that it 'seems' that the problem might have been solved.

I was really annoyed with the issue, so i thought i do some trial and error myself.

Note: I used to work for Toshiba in the past as a H/W technician with a little training for laptop repairs,
so i'm pretty much confident (and learned the hard way to be very thorough) when it comes to
taking care of PC H/W, especially laptops.

Note: You will need a little bit of basic H/W knowledge to do this. If you can't or don't want to, for any reason,
you can always contact a certified engineer to do this for you. Nobody who is not authorised or does not
have the expertise should NEVER mess around with H/W. Especially laptops, since the H/W is much more
delicate and much easier to damage if you are not careful and don't know what you're doing. Even by misplacing
a screw into a different hole (than it was) you might risk damaging the board! Or simply by bending a very
thin and tiny cable the wrong way.

So, initially, i tried to fix the issue by removing the SATA disk entirely and leaving only the SSD, did a clean
Win7 install but right at the next reboot, got the same message. Disk was gone!
Tried several restarts, power off's and on's but with no change.

SSD would be 'invisible" most of the time (confirmed in BIOS) and therefore laptop had no disk, so it simply did not work!
Strangely though, when i booted the Win 7 installation, i could always see the SSD in the setup.

Anyways, I tried to swap the ports, just to see if it would make any difference (normally shouldn't).
In other words, i took out the SSD from its existing Port and placed it in the other one.

To my suprise, it seems that when the SSD is attached to the Port 0 1st port (as seen in BIOS) it will work (be detected always).
See attached pictures from BIOS screen shots.366593666036661

At first, i simply attached the SSD to the other Port and left the extra drive bay empty.
Did a Win 7 installation, and it seemed to have completed successfully without any issues
(after a few reboots i was at the logon screen).

Then, just to make sure, I shut down the laptop, re-installed the SATA disk to the remaining Port (Port 1 as seen in BIOS) and tried
to re-run a Win 7 clean installation on the SSD. Again, it worked just fine, and then again after some reboots i was at the logon screen.

Now, i have been restarting, powering off and on the laptop for some time now (approx. 30 minutes) and i haven't got not even once
the 'not detected' issue as before. It could of course be just a matter of luck, or just happens to work now.

I will continue to test and confirm back in 1-2 days if all is good.

But it seems as though, the G53SW-A1 (exact model i own), will always try to boot the 1st SATA port. (Port 0 in BIOS).

Also, if you have 2 drives like myself, 1 SSD and 1 SATA, you will also need to go to the Boot Order Section in BIOS (see additional pics)
and set your SSD as 1st Boot Option, then the 2nd Boot option will auto-set to the internal DVD drive.

Finally, you should go to the 'Hard Drive BBS Properties" on the same page were you set the SSD as 1st, and Set as well the
Boot Option #1 to the SSD (will be seen as P0: Samsung SSD etc or your own SSD), and then set Boot Option #2 to your other SATA
drive, seen as P1: STXXXXXXXX (in my case). Obviously, the P0 and P1 stands for PORT 0 and PORT 1, where the laptop always tried to boot from the P0 drive.

Now just in case you are wondering which PORT is which (physically), the PORT 0 bay (as seen if you open and flip your laptop) the PORT 0 is the one which is in the middle (more or less). The one on the side is PORT 1. In other words, the slot directly below the touchpad is PORT 0.

I hope i did not bore you much. I just wanted to be thorough as possible.

Hope all you G53SW owners enjoy!

P.S. In case all of this is just temporary and i might have issues again, i will reply again to this post, with updates,
so you may want to wait a while before doing anything.

Still proud owner of the G53SW!

kimiraikkonen
Level 7
Hello,
My ancient G53JW needs an SSD upgrade and my first choice would be reputable Samsung Evo series. Like 850 or 860. But after reading this thread (i think i read the same on another forum, too) now i'm disappointed and concerned that whether Intel HM55 chipset or G53 line is unable to handle those SSD properly? My Bios is 209.

Does that "disk read error occured" happen during boot time, oer after logging into Windows and also in Event Log?

Does G53JW have issues with handling modern SSDs? Controller issues?

Thanks a lot!
ASUS G53JW-XA1

kimiraikkonen wrote:
Hello,
My ancient G53JW needs an SSD upgrade and my first choice would be reputable Samsung Evo series. Like 850 or 860. But after reading this thread (i think i read the same on another forum, too) now i'm disappointed and concerned that whether Intel HM55 chipset or G53 line is unable to handle those SSD properly? My Bios is 209.

Does that "disk read error occured" happen during boot time, oer after logging into Windows and also in Event Log?

Thanks a lot!

previous posts are from 2014... 4 years ago ! don't expect original posters to to answer....
IMHO, these ppl didn't understood the difference between UEFI and BIOS ( and MBR Vs GPT formatted drive ) thus they got issues with the bootloader.
if your laptop's HW supports the storage you're planning to put into it, it should work 90%... the rest of the 10% are faulty storage drive ( AT the HW level ) that needs to get RMA.... i.e if you got SATA III /II socket and planning to inset a SATA III SSD, it should HWly speaking work.... as long as you format it in according to the OS requirements.
what Do I mean about that ? please follow my STICKY thread/guide about windows installation using the UEFI method, to understand the differences and req.
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

Gps3dx wrote:
previous posts are from 2014... 4 years ago ! don't expect original posters to to answer....
IMHO, these ppl didn't understood the difference between UEFI and BIOS ( and MBR Vs GPT formatted drive ) thus they got issues with the bootloader.
if your laptop's HW supports the storage you're planning to put into it, it should work 90%... the rest of the 10% are faulty storage drive ( AT the HW level ) that needs to get RMA.... i.e if you got SATA III /II socket and planning to inset a SATA III SSD, it should HWly speaking work.... as long as you format it in according to the OS requirements.
what Do I mean about that ? please follow my STICKY thread/guide about windows installation using the UEFI method, to understand the differences and req.

Thanks friend for your reply! I will use MBR so legacy BIOS, not UEFI which is my choice for solid reasons. I saw threads like this new SSD drives are having issues with these RoG notebooks if it is true. I am planning to use Windows 7 MSAHCI rather than Intel RST which natively supports TRIM but the root problem mentioned in that thread blocked me to proceed to the further stage. Does Samsung EVO SSD work flawless with old Intel HM55 / 1st generation I7 systems? Thread mentions Port 0 is OK, and if it is the solution it is even not a problem as SSD should always be attached to Port 0. I also want to use current mechanic Seagate drive simultaneously on second SATA port (Port 1).

Hope someone helps.
ASUS G53JW-XA1

kimiraikkonen
Level 7
Hello,

Thanks a lot!
ASUS G53JW-XA1