cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coolant dyes.

Antronman
Level 10
Does anybody know where I can find opaque red and sand colored dyes for coolant?
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me
8 REPLIES 8

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Mayhems, they have a crazy amount of different colors and they can even help you to mix your own required colors.

abvolt
Level 11
Thanks also for the info..
Current: MSI Xpower Gaming Titanium | 7700K | G Skill Ripjaws V 3000 16Gb | 960 EVO 500Gb | Intel 730 480Gb | Seasonic 1000 Platinum |
NZXT X62 | Acer XB270HU | EVGA 1080 ti FTW3

Secondary: R4BE | 4930K | G.SKILL 2400 16GB | Corsair AX 1500i
Intel 730 240GB + 480GB | EVGA GTX780 ti sli kpe | Custom H20

Retired
Not applicable
Roar, roar like a dungeon dragon.....

Cant rep you Myk, need to rep others first..

chrisnyc75
Level 12
There's no such thing as an opaque dye, but as Myk pointed out, Mayhems Pastel line of coolant is an opaque premix (which you can also add dyes to in order to create specific hues). "Dye" by definition is always translucent, it's the coolant that has to be opaque (i.e. you can't make distilled water opaque using just dye)
Asus RIVBE • i7 4930K @ 4.7ghz • 8gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 CL8
2xSLI EVGA GTX 770 SC • Creative X-Fi Titanium • 2x 840 SSD + 1TB Seagate Hybrid
EVGA Supernova 1300W• Asus VG278H & nVidia 3d Vision
Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/ custom watercooling:
XSPC Raystorm (cpu & gpu), XSPC Photon 170, Swiftech D5 vario
Alphacool Monsta 360mm +6x NB e-loop, XT45 360mm +6x Corsair SP120

Dr__Zchivago
Level 12
I've read that the marbled/opaque dyes are for short-term or periodic use only, and are not for continuous use.
I've become a staunch advocate for colored hose and distilled water.

Dr. Z

Dr. Zchivago wrote:
I've read that the marbled/opaque dyes are for short-term or periodic use only, and are not for continuous use.
I've become a staunch advocate for colored hose and distilled water.

Agreed. I used mayhems dark red dye + distilled in my first itteration of my current build, but a few weeks later the dye was mysteriously gone and the water was clear again. I found I didn't miss it at all. lol So, I drained & flushed the loop and refilled it with 100% pure distilled water for less worry & hassle. 🙂

I never did figure out where the dye went, perhaps I used too little and it just adhered to the walls of my tubing? Tubing is red, so I wouldn't notice if it did.
2xSLI EVGA GTX 770 SC • Creative X-Fi Titanium • 2x 840 SSD + 1TB Seagate Hybrid

chrisnyc75 wrote:
I never did figure out where the dye went, perhaps I used too little and it just adhered to the walls of my tubing? Tubing is red, so I wouldn't notice if it did.

I'd be willing to bet that the dye particles are lining the interior walls of your radiator and waterblocks, and hurting efficiency. I would take apart the waterblock to see if I were you.

I know that dye can be stripped from water molecules fairly quickly under the right conditions.

Dr. Zchivago wrote:
I'd be willing to bet that the dye particles are lining the interior walls of your radiator and waterblocks, and hurting efficiency. I would take apart the waterblock to see if I were you.

I know that dye can be stripped from water molecules fairly quickly under the right conditions.

I've already had to break down and rebuild the loop once in the past month, not happening again voluntarily anytime soon. I'll keep this advice in mind when scheduled maintenance time rolls around later this year, though.

And yeah, I wasn't so much shocked that the dye dissipated as how FAST it disappeared. It was literally, iirc, 2 weeks later that the water was crystal clear again. I drained & flushed it once already, though, and it is performing just as well now as it ever has, so for now if there's any dye particles clogging up my blocks they're not doing any substantial harm.