cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750 + SSD boot times?

Lil_Godwin
Level 8
I remember reading last week about people getting 10s start times. By no means am I complaining, but mine are coming in at 20 seconds on the dot from hitting the button to the password screen. This is with the installation of Windows 7 Ultimate on an SSD (original 1tb hdd formatted for storage use), 16gb ram, i7 4700hq, g750jw, bios v.207. I haven't implemented the XTU or GPU Tweak. Will installing those help with boot time or does the 10 second reduction come from somewhere else? I can't imagine GPU Tweak helping in this area, but it's on the to-do list so I listed it anyway.

Thanks!
10 REPLIES 10

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Lol 10 seconds? More like 2 seconds. ;d

My record DOS boot was 1.8 seconds. (Not including password input

SSD is the greatest, love it to bits. :3

Lil_Godwin
Level 8
Wow, so what all have you had to do to it from stock to have it boot so much quicker?

my 750jw with 2 samsung 840 pros in raid 0 starts in less than 2 seconds. 1.4 is fastest its started. usually 1.8s and im running windows 8.1 with the intel xtu program overclocking all cores and the cpu a bit. other than that and constant cleaning and general comp maintenence its stock. so u might need to check your boot options and change something AFTER reading a bunch about it so that u know atleast what not to do to **** up your system. cheers.

cronik916
Level 7
just read your original post saying u r using windows 7, i have no idea why u would delete 8 for 7. 7 is your problem so u need to reinstall windows 8 and then upgrade to 8.1 asap. its the best os microsoft has put out since xp with service pack 3. like i just really honestly do not understand peoples aversion to windows 8. its ****ing retarded but whatever too each his own i guess. cheers

brandontaz2k2
Level 7
They don't like the layout is the most common reason they go back to Windows 7. Windows 8.1 is a lot better for general performance, and there's already a bunch of programs that change Windows 8 functionality back to Windows 7, so there's really no reason to go back to Windows 7..

cronik916
Level 7
ya but the "it looks wierd and i dont like it" response is just rediculous imho, i mean the first thing i thought when i saw it was "stupid tablets" but then i kinda just reasoned after seeing what the ui i was was just a fullscreen start bar with all your programs with large buttons and clean feel. like how many of u guys have moused over the start bar before in windows and then moused over to the programs then down the list to the program u want and then accidently moused a little too far and gone is the start menu and u have to mouse back to the bottom and do it again. i know i have more times than i can count since windows 98 to now lol. now u just hit windows and bam fullscreen programs menu. that u can rearange and organize to your hearts content something u couldnt do in windows start menu since its always been alphabetical. not to mention no shortcuts on your desktop, which makes everything lookk nice and clean. ive seen people with there entire desktop covered in shortcuts basically making it into a makeshift windows 8 ui lol except it doesnt go away lol

Aram_yossarian
Level 8
Cronik couldn't agree more, I really like my "fullscreen" start menu with its clean look and context rich buttons. As for boot times On my JH with the 2x 128GB SSDs windows 8 boot time is as Darnassus says about 2 seconds, coming from vista on a 5,400rpm HDD its amazing!

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Yes, Win 7 is your problem. Windows 8 doesn't actually have a 'loading sequence' at boot up where as Windows 7 does. It loads the splash screen and stuff.

gazzacbr
Level 10
you need to be careful here when comparing "startup" times betweend windows 7 and 8.
they are not doing the same thing.
windows 7 performs a full proper shutdown. or you can put it to sleep.
windows 8 by default performs a sleep/partial hibernate. which is almost the same as sleep.
problem with windows 8 is dual/multi booting, which i do (see sig). the files are not all closed properly and the disc is left in a semi-open state.
i have the fast shutdown disabled on windows 8/8.1.

2s or 10s or even 20s. does it really matter?
anyone here remember 2mins+ for vista?
or even 1s for DOS? haha
Asus G750JX-CV050H||GTX770M||24GB ram||120hz 3D screen||
1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD||500GB Crucial M4 SSD||500GB Crucial M4 SSD in DVD Bay
free bag and mouse :cool:
win 8.1||win 7||win xp||server 2008||os x mavericks||linux mint 16