cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed and crunching

kutter
Level 7
HI All,

First off, thank you for the coolest forum on builds I've found. Great job.

I trying to build a box for Solidworks... need speed...
I can append a SiSoft report if that would help, wouldn't think so as this is basically a whole new box.
I should mention I don't care about the visuals. Butt ugly is fine. Just fast.
Some truly beautiful works of art out there there guys. Very cool.

Budget: $800.00 to $1200

Main uses of intended build: Solidworks 2014, Camworks ONLY.

Parts required: ASUS ROG Motherboard (pci 3.0), CPU, RAM, PSU?, CASE?

Previous build information (list details of parts): These are the parts I have on Hand and are in the current system I’m using.
Gigabyte GA-970A-UDS
AMD FX-8150
Rip Jaws 8gb x 2, F3-12800cl DDR 1600 CL 10-10-10-30,
PSU: AZZA APLHA 700W PSAZ-700C12, extra ROSEWILL RE502-BLK
AMD FIREPRO W7000
AMD FIREPRO 4900
2X SAMSUNG 840 PRO
7 TB. INTERNAL, EXTERNAL STORAGE.
Spacepilot Pro
Logitech G620 mouse
Logitech G510s keyboard
I can’t find much on the case (got it from IBUYPOWER). It has 4 fans across the top with a radiator, and 2 pull out screens on the bottom. I’ll dig around and see if I can find some more info.

Monitor resolution:
VIZIO E390i-AI1 39” 240HZ MAIN SCREEN ON FIREPRO W7000 AT 1920X1080
AOC 29-inch IPS Q2963PM AT 2560X1080 on Firepro 4900

Storage requirements: I have 1 Samsung as the primary (windows 8 pro 64) and the second as my drawing cache, frequently accessed storage. The rest is used model and vector storage.

Will you be overclocking: Yes… I think…

Any motherboard requirements: 6 to 8 USB 3.0 ports, at least 1 PCI 3.0.

I will be using this box solely for Solidworks. Current performance is adequate. But Solidworks has always seemed to have an issue with AMD cpu’s. My first one was in 2000, and would hang more times than I care to count. I finally narrowed it down to the AMD Cpu. Sure enough an Intel fixed it.
So Intel is one requirement, the second is the motherboards you guys are using. I bought a G75vw last year and it by far the best laptop I’ve ever had. Runs SW faster than the current box above. And aside the Mac’s I use, it is my favorite computer.

I have done very little over-clocking as it seemed to be a gaming thing. Through the SW forums I’ve concluded that SW needs a lot of Cpu muscle. Most people throw a high end GPU at it and are disappointed. So with this in mind
I would like to give it (overclocking) a try. And ASUS seems to have made it a lot simpler than it was 15 years ago.

My first box was a Commodore 64, when it first came out, and at least one or 2 new computers a year since. So I’m not new to the party. But the last 5 years have left me in dust, no time to amass the required info to make an informed decision.

So bang for the buck… what I don’t need, care about, ect..
Never connected to the net. Just a cat 5 to my CNC. No audio. And nothing that requires a very high frame rate. Just number crunching. MASSIVE crunching. I’ve got the GPU’s covered. The MB and CPU are what is puzzling me. So many variables’… and so many geared for specific use.
I’ve tried to think this thru and be a comprehensive as possible but please pardon me if I’ve missed something.

I don’t know if I need to upgrade the ram, I just bought the Rip jaws hoping that give it would give it a boost. Didn’t do much. Gotta start with the CPU me thinks…

Thanks Abunch,
Kutter
customknives.net
Z87-WS
Intel 4770K 3.5
Rip Jaws 8gb x 4, F3-12800cl DDR 1600 CL 10-10-10-30, 32GB Total.
Sea-sonic 750 PLATINUM PSU
AMD FIREPRO W7000
AMD FIREPRO W7000
2X SAMSUNG 840 PRO
Spacepilot Pro
Logitech G620 mouse
Logitech G510s keyboard
10 REPLIES 10

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
If you want awesome performance out of SolidWorks your best bet is to go the Intel path mate and get better rendering times, oh and sell off your Firepro cards, SW performs better off CUDA anyway.

A great option would be an ASUS WS board, either an X79 or Z87 one coupled with a Xeon CPU.

If you don't wanna go down the workstation build route, grab the Maximus VI Hero board and a 4770K and say 32GB of 1866-2133MHZ RAM. Grab a freebie RAMDisk program and use that to run SW in...you'll see even better render times :cool:

Oh and where are my manners, welcome to the ROG Forums 🙂

kkn
Level 14
when it comes to cad and things like that its intel.
what you need is a ok desktop whit 32gig of memory ( loads of memory = good )
a 250 or larger SSD for OS and the programs, and a HDD to save your files on.
just dont fill up the SSD, it will slow down performance ( speed ) on opening programs.
is it laser or mill or waterjet your using?

kutter
Level 7
I thank you for the welcome sir. I've been lurking here since I got the G75.
Figured if i didn't have anything smart to say...

I don't do a lot of rendering, I have however used rendering as my personal benchmark. A better one is just rebuilding a large assembly. There's a little hack to alter the registry to make Sw think your card is SW "cerifRyd", is used that before on Nvidia and Amd cards. Needs to be certified to use "Realview" which I kinda like. But RV doesn't work to well with non Cert card even with the hack.

Man, just bought the Firepro's and ram....

I've read about the WS boards, and will continue on that path. Can you put 4770 on a WS? And visa versa.

Is the ASUS ATX DDR3 2600 LGA 1150 Motherboards MAXIMUS VI FORMULA overkill. The cooling system seems like it would be good for overclocking. Or is it gimmicky?

So the 4770k 3.5ghz quad, damn thers alot of intel CPU's out there.

Virtues of X79 relative to Z87?
Hoping not to have to build another one of these for at least a few years. So looking to be as future proof as is possible for someone whose on a perpetual upgrade path...

KKN, I use a Haas vertical mill for my knives.
I have my one 256 Samsung SSD just for the OS and SW and I always keep it at less than 100gb.
I throw the ancillary files on the second ssd.
So can i double the Ripjaws that I have (1600) over 1866-2133MHZ RAM?

Thanks again,
Kutter
customknives.net
Z87-WS
Intel 4770K 3.5
AMD FIREPRO W7000
AMD FIREPRO W7000
2X SAMSUNG 840 PRO
Spacepilot Pro
Logitech G620 mouse
Logitech G510s keyboard

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Future proof is an irrelevant term nowadays in the IT Sector. Intel has the successor to X79 slated for the end of the year, the X99 aka 2011-3 which supports DDR4 for the enthusiast market and then there's the successor to Z87 - not sure of the chipset naming, but it's called Broadwell and coming this year.

As to your question as to compatibility between using a 4770K on a WS board and Z87, yes, but how supported the CPU would be on a WS as opposed to on the Z87 boards, well I do not know that. You can also use a 1150 Xeon class on a regular Z87 board, but, a lot of the features would be crippled unless it is used on a WS/Server grade board.

Your question about the RAM: Yes and No. Yes if you're mostly gaming - you won't notice a difference if you're moving from 1600 to 2600 MHZ. No if you're going to be doing a fair bit of Render work...plus, use a RAMDisk...it will flyyyyyyyyyyy :cool:
The cooling system on the Formula is anything but gimmicky mate, no other board maker has yet to even do the same, though, some people are a bit worried about the fact the channel is anodized aluminium, rather than just copper.

Virtues? heh if you go the X79 WS route with a Xeon CPU, you can get up to 12Cores/24 Threads 😉 just be prepared to pay through the nose for the CPU that supports it :cool:

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Everyone knows that SSD's are blazingly fast, well...here's a comparison I did on my Corsair Neutron 128GB SSD Vs a 4GB RAMDisk, running at 1600 Mhz, timings of 9-9-9-24

So to answer your question, if you use a RAMDisk, No, 2600 Mhz RAM is not overkill....if you know how to utilize it right 😉

kutter
Level 7
Thanks A lot guys. :cool:

Here's what I have tentatively on my list.

ASUS Z87-WS Intel® LGA1150 $281.99
Intel Core i7-4770K Quad-Core Desktop Processor 3.5 GHZ 8 MB Cache BX80646I74770K $337.98
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 1600 (PC3 12800) F3-12800CL10D-​16GBXL $164.35
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound 3.5 Grams $7.39

[/HR]
Wondering if the PSU I have is suitable: AZZA APLHA 700W PSAZ-700C12, if not... recommendations?
Should I have a water block for the CPU... Cooling Recommendations?
BEST ramdisk, free or not. Recommendations?

Thanks you,
Kutter
customknives.net
Z87-WS
Intel 4770K 3.5
AMD FIREPRO W7000
AMD FIREPRO W7000
2X SAMSUNG 840 PRO
Spacepilot Pro
Logitech G620 mouse
Logitech G510s keyboard

kkn
Level 14
PSU: how old is the current one?
how about a H100i ( or some other brand ) closed loop cooler??
i know corsair will come out whit a H105i soon but when i dont know, its a thicker rad then the one on the H100i.
ramdisk = you use your memory to do so

kutter
Level 7
Thanks Iron Man.

The PSU is about a year old. I looked and cant find anything about it. Azza's site has an Alpha 500w. Looks to be at the bottom of thier offerings. So I reckon a new one it is. Thoughts on Size/brand for the above mentioned config?
this ones to have some good reviews Corsair Professional Series HX 850 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Gold.

I believe I was just looking at the corsair H100i, and 3 other cosairs on the same amazon page. I like the Quiet edition but its small.
So I'll probably go with the H1001 for $99.99.

"ramdisk = you use your memory to do so" Haha... well if memory serves the last ram disk I set up was on an Amiga 2000...:)

I'll try the ROG version.

Sound like it will work?
Thanks again,
Kutter
Z87-WS
Intel 4770K 3.5
AMD FIREPRO W7000
AMD FIREPRO W7000
2X SAMSUNG 840 PRO
Spacepilot Pro
Logitech G620 mouse
Logitech G510s keyboard

kkn
Level 14
well my baad, i guess you need a program to set it up.
but i guess you can use some free ones or if there is one coming whit the motherboard mabye.
ive never tried it my self tho, so a bit unshure how it works exept it makes a "harddrive" sort of.