cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How big should a mini-ITX chassis be?

X-ROG
Level 15
How big should a mini-ITX chassis be? Lots of people argue over several main points:

> There is a very vocal "small as possible" group who want it noticeably smaller than mATX.
> However, going by sales statistics the Bit Fenix Prodigy is generally the best selling chassis out there
> Or, is it down to price (not covered in this vote) - Will the CM 110 at 35 quid be the next
big(small) thing?
>Does it have to be box-like, or low profile? The Valve-prototype style SteamBox chassis is VCR-like, yet most 3rd party Steam boxes are actual box-shaped.
> Or is it down to design: simply what looks good?

This is not a survey because ASUS is making cases(again), it's just curiosity.

Chassis sizes for reference:

<10 litres: super-tiny, picoPSU, low profile, practically no GPU space
10-20 litres CM Elite 110 is 15L, EVGA Hadron: 15.9L, SS FT02 mini is 17.6L, Fractal Node 304 17.9L, CM Elite 130 is 19.6L,
20-25 litres InWin 901 is 24.2L
25-30 litres Fractal Node 605 25.5L, BF Prodigy is 26.35L
>30 litres Basically will fit all mATX kit + many hardware
6 REPLIES 6

Antronman
Level 10
I would say a mix. It really depends on what I want out of the build. There are three factors to consider when making an mITX build:

The space you want it to take up.

How powerful you want the build to be.

What you want the case to look like.

As far as looks go, I think it nice when cases are more slim, like the steambox or an existing console. I don't like the fat look of the majority of current mITX cases, and almost all of the slim ones come with low-watt PSUs and poor expansion. So a 25-30 liter slim ITX case would be really cool. I wish you guys were making cases. 😞
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

danskieness
Level 10
i voted for 26.35L, however please do adjust for cable management, and i think a very rigid good handle will do for portability as for shape i prefer old box one's but that is really user preference
Mobo : Asus Maximus VI Impact || CPU : i5-4670k || Cooling : H100
GPU : MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G || PSU : Corsair RM 650 || Rams : G Skill Trident X 4GBx2 2400 CL10
Monitor : 2x Asus VX239h + 1x HP w2207h || Chassis : Bitfenix Prodigy Red || OS : WIN8.1 x64
Periphirals : Corsair K95, Logitech g402, Edifier 3350

abvolt
Level 11
I really like the mini's you can have so much power is such a small package. The corsair 250d is a awesome looking case its a little on the large side.
Current: MSI Xpower Gaming Titanium | 7700K | G Skill Ripjaws V 3000 16Gb | 960 EVO 500Gb | Intel 730 480Gb | Seasonic 1000 Platinum |
NZXT X62 | Acer XB270HU | EVGA 1080 ti FTW3

Secondary: R4BE | 4930K | G.SKILL 2400 16GB | Corsair AX 1500i
Intel 730 240GB + 480GB | EVGA GTX780 ti sli kpe | Custom H20

kkn
Level 14
take a look at the pavrum cases. they look like smal cases and well made and can ship flat packaged.
price im not shure on tho.
plexi/acrylic is not cheep.
but for a itx or so case i would guess they look real good in my eyes.

kkn wrote:
take a look at the pavrum cases. they look like smal cases and well made and can ship flat packaged.
price im not shure on tho.
plexi/acrylic is not cheep.
but for a itx or so case i would guess they look real good in my eyes.

Parvum are working on mini-ITX and ATX versions of their case AFAIK. The plans are loosely based on the co-work we did for the Computex press event one we had made for Impact last summer. Their acrylic is not your typical 'case window' it's very high quality.

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Parvum's S1.0 is only £199.99...that's their mATX case.