cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G73JH-A2 Laptop Having Screen Problems? Please Help!

Centuari
Level 7
Hi everyone, I've been having some problems with my laptop over the last few months when running games that are semi-demanding (The Last Remnant, DmC, Bioshock Infinite, etc.) and playing some streaming video from YouTube and Twitch.

When I'm playing games with high graphics demand they normally run properly for 5-20 minutes, and then start having problems. The screen stutters, white horizontal lines appear and disappear, and other graphical issues. The screen eventually crashes, going either to black or to a screen full of very dark vertical black and dark blue or gray lines. The music, if the game has any, continues to play and the computer stays on, but the screen is unresponsive. The music eventually turns off, and I have to manually turn off the computer and restart it.

My computer has its original factor stats, and the problems appeared semi-recently. I never have problems running simple applications like word-processing, iTunes, or simple non-video web browsing.

Any ideas if the problem is my graphics card, screen, or something else? And any suggestions on how to fix would be appreciated.

Computer Stats: Intel Core i7 CPU
Q720 @ 1.6 Ghz
8 GB
64 bit Windows 7
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5800
8 REPLIES 8

billyray520
Level 10
So you never upgraded the video BIOS? :confused:
Asus Maximus V Extreme BIOS 1903, see specs above avatar.

Asus G73 jh A1 laptop, BIOS 213, vBIOS OD2, 8 GB Ram, 240 GB Intel SSD, 180 GB Intel SSD. Win 7 Pro. Purchased new from PowerNotebooks.com in May 2010.
(both have 1920X1080 hd screens, mine above, hers below )
Asus G73 Sw XR1 laptop 8 GB Ram, 160 GB Intel SSD, 80 GB Intel SSD. Purchased used >Ebay 1/10/13, Did clean install of Windows 7

billyray520 wrote:
So you never upgraded the video BIOS? :confused:

I'm not really an electronics guy, truth be told, I basically haven't touched anything. I've performed routine updates, and that's about it.

I seem to be having the GSOD (gray screen of death) problem that I see on some forums. Any recommendations?

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
If you haven't changed anything and everything has been working fine until now, I'm a little worried about the hardware/video card as usual (hopefully I'm wrong).

Consider checking temperatures, making sure the fans are working okay, cleaning out the heatsinks, etc. if you have a safe way to do this. If the vga card is overheating, it's a good idea to solve this soon to avoid damaging it although there could be other reasons it isn't working well.

Connect an external monitor if available to be sure, but expect you will see the same problems since it doesn't sound like a notebook screen issue.

Dan_kn
Level 7
hi there i had a g73jh laptop kinder had the same thing.. i had black lines and other blakc dots that looked like dead pixiles .. so i pulled the laptop apart and looked at the screen and found the problem it was the cable that had dust and alittle bit of crap on the terminal so i got a damp cloth and wiped it.. and put it together and fixed my prblem not sure if urs is thae same.. urs sounds like a grafix issue tho.. this fixed the ATI grafix issue for me

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?519-G73Jh-GSOD-Vbios-Update&country=&status=

billyray520
Level 10
Even if you never updated your vBIOS, you shouldn't have problems with you-tube videos. The next step would be to connect another monitor to your notebook and see if you still run into the same problems. If yes, then there is a GPU issue, If no, then there is screen issue. (cl-Albert's advice)

Asus G73 jh A1 laptop, BIOS 213, vBIOS OD2, 8 GB Ram, 240 GB Intel SSD, 180 GB Intel SSD. Win 7 Pro. Purchased new from PowerNotebooks.com in May 2010.
Asus G73 Sw XR1 laptop 8 GB Ram, 160 GB Intel SSD, 80 GB Intel SSD. Purchased used >Ebay 1/10/13, Did clean install of Windows 7

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Honestly, I haven't worked much with the G73Jh and GSOD issue to know the exact symptoms, so you guys may still want to make sure that a Vbios upgrade isn't worth trying for this.

billyray520
Level 10
The truth is, anyone with a G73jh should really consider the vBIOS upgrade, as it allows one to use the latest ATI drivers, and the GPU runs much cooler, as well as throttling back when not needed. I upgraded to OD2 (the overdrive 2 vBIOS) and am glad I did. This upgrade will probably solve most if not all GSODs when gaming. However, having issues with you-tube videos is not something that should happen, even with the OEM vBIOS and driver. (I assume the OP is still using the Asus supplied video driver.)

alizacarvor
Level 7
I also facing one customer to resolve same problem. The customer have driver error and after updating the drivers and clearing the CMOS it will run smoothly.
Thank you
Fix My Computer Dude