cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Downgrade Windows 8 to Windows 7

Yuppy4Life
Level 7
Hey guys, Im expecting a new laptop to be delivered. The OS is to be Windows 8 but want to change it to windows 7 as soon as i get it. Please Help this newbie out 😄
9 REPLIES 9

Nate152
Hi Yuppy4life, Welcome to the ROG community, what you will need to do is get the windows 7 installation cd., put it in the cd/dvd drive and restart your pc. Go into the BIOS then boot tab, Boot Option 1, set it to the cd/dvd drive, hit F10 and enter. PC reboots. Windows loads the files then click install windows, then click custom install, delete and format the hard drive, this will wipe your hard drive clean. Click next and windows installs. After installation go into the BIOS, boot tab, Boot option 1 and set it to the hard drive. F10 and enter, you are done with windows installation. Next you will need to download the drivers for your laptop then all the windows updates. I hope I didn't make this sound too confusing.

P.S. when it is expanding the files it will go from 0% to 100% but will hang on the 0% for a little while.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi Yuppy4life, Welcome to the ROG community, what you will need to do is get the windows 7 installation cd., put it in the cd/dvd drive and restart your pc. Go into the BIOS then boot tab, Boot Option 1, set it to the cd/dvd drive, hit F10 and enter. PC reboots. Windows loads the files then click install windows, then click custom install, delete and format the hard drive, this will wipe your hard drive clean. Click next and windows installs. After installation go into the BIOS, boot tab, Boot option 1 and set it to the hard drive. F10 and enter, you are done with windows installation. Next you will need to download the drivers for your laptop then all the windows updates. I hope I didn't make this sound too confusing.

P.S. when it is expanding the files it will go from 0% to 100% but will hang on the 0% for a little while.

I don't think he meant buying windows and re-installing OS. I heard there's a way to downgrade if you don't like 8, but I'm pretty sure you have to of had 7 on it previously. So your absolutely correct in what you said, I just think he heard of the free downgrade. I just want to reassure him that you would have to have some copy of 7, pre-installed. Otherwise you must get it on disk/USB, hacked or legit.

Hey, thanks for helping me out 😄 The laptop im getting will be a ASUS X750JB which is 64 bit. But my iso file of windows 7 is 32 bit (I dont have the actual disk). Would this affect my laptop in anyway? And also can you give me link to where i would need to download drivers? Thanks again for help.

Chino
Level 15
Before you go and downgrade, I'd recommend you drop by the Asus support site for your specific model and verify that there are Windows 7 drivers for your laptop.

Chino wrote:
Before you go and downgrade, I'd recommend you drop by the Asus support site for your specific model and verify that there are Windows 7 drivers for your laptop.

There is no windows 7 listed, only Windows 8, 8.1 and Other. Does this mean a downgrade is not possible? or downgrading could possibly wreck my laptop

Nate152
If there are no winows 7 drivers listed for your laptop then yes, stay with windows 8. You can install classic shell to give you the look and feel of windows 7. There are some other programs you can use too but I'm not sure what they are off hand.

dam...I play LOL and its been known to stuff up when OS in windows 8. But when i get the laptop ill try to install it and see if it will work out. Again thanks for the help guys appreciate it (At least i have an idea on downgrading).

Nate152
Thank goodness Chino posted. There would be nothing worse than installing windows 7 on your laptop only to find out there are no drivers to download.

CharFlo88
Level 7
in the bios, you might have to disable safe boot and enable legacy boot before you can boot a windows 7 installation disk. i had to do this to an HP the other day.