cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

chain 2 swiftech 8-way pwm splitters possible?

Nephelim
Level 7
On theese splitters only channel 1 reports the signal to the motherboard. Would it be possible to connect them together in a chain. ?

My thought is that if you connect splitter-1's PWM cable to the CPU_fan header on the mother board and then splitter-2's PWM cable to channel 1 on splitter-1. In order to complete the cirkuit I need to have a fan hooked up to channel 1 on splitter-2. The power would be taken from the psu for both splitters so the strain on the CPU_fan header is hopefully minimal.

This would allow for easeier cable routing in my case aswell as beeing able to control a higher amount of fans on the same header.

Is there someone that has tested this and could verify if it works or not, that would be great.
10 REPLIES 10

kkn
Level 14
personaly i would go for a bay fan controller.
that way i can controll them the way i want.
mabye a lcd one whit temp sensors witch you will not be able to use whit a splitter setup you are after.
and whit no option to monitor temp to boost up the fans exept go in to bios or ai suite.

Nephelim
Level 7
They fans are both cooling 2 radiators in the cpu loop with a big gap between them. Thats why I wanted them to be controlled by the same CPU_fan header.

Its not a problem by running one from CPU_fan and the other rad from CPU_opt. But if this works it would make cable management easeier aswell, hence I wanted to see if its possible 🙂

kkn
Level 14
im using the aquacomputer fan controller whit software on it.
it cost a bit and you can set it up to control fans by temp.
inline temp probe. just a 1cm extender only.
what pump your using??

Antronman
Level 10
You could just wait for February and buy the dual-bay gaming panel. I believe it also works as a fan controller.
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

Nephelim
Level 7
I assume you mean the Asus ROG front base, I do think it acts like a fan controller yes, but If I recall correctly it only allows controll for the pwm headers on the motherboard. So I still need to hook them up to a header on the motherboard. I could have missread this tho when i browsed it quickly.

Might get the panel, might not. I dont really want to remove any of the front bay covers due to aesthetics. If I do decide to get one i'll probably have it face inwards and just put the settings I want and leave it, and then fronting $70 for that seems uncecessary when there are cheaper versions.

Question remains, is it possible to use my theoretical connection to controll (up to) 15 fans on one pwm header with the PSU powering the fans?
I will be able to try it myself in aboout 2 weeks, just wanted to be sure i dont fry anything.

kkn
Level 14
dont know to be honnest.
as long as you dont pull more then 1A from the headers you should be good i hope.

kkn wrote:
dont know to be honnest.
as long as you dont pull more then 1A from the headers you should be good i hope.

You're likely going to pull more than 1A from the headers but that doesn't use the headers but instead gets it from a Molex. I am looking into that little splitter. Looks slick.

You may have to talk to them. If it doesn't works in series like you want you can always get a Y-Cable and split it off the motherboard in parallel. You're going to have to ask swiftech what their input voltage needs to be to their little box.

Don't forget, Amperes = Watts/Volts
Mobo: Rampage IV BE | CPU: i7-4930@4.5ghz Hexacore | RAM: 32GB Corsair V-Pro | GPU: 4xR9 290X Quadfire | PSU: eVGA P2 SuperNOVA 1000W\G2 850W | Chassis: NZXT Phantom 820 | Cooling: XSPC Raystorm CPU Block\4xEK 290X Block\2x Laing D5\XSPC Dual Bay Res\Phobya G-Changer 1080 External Rad\Alphacool 140UT60\XSPC AX360 | Fan Con: Lamptron CW611 | Tube: Primochill Adv. LRT Bloodshed Red | 3xCrossover 27" 2560x1440 Monitors | Build Log of Insanity

PowerOver9K wrote:
You're likely going to pull more than 1A from the headers but that doesn't use the headers but instead gets it from a Molex. I am looking into that little splitter. Looks slick.

You may have to talk to them. If it doesn't works in series like you want you can always get a Y-Cable and split it off the motherboard in parallel. You're going to have to ask swiftech what their input voltage needs to be to their little box.

Don't forget, Amperes = Watts/Volts

Yeah this one uses its power from the molex and as my update states i do think i have them sorted in a chain now, where the second splitter is connected to any of the 7 ports on the first splitter (can not be channel 1 or else its full speed). So for anyone thinking of something similar, thats the solution 🙂

Nephelim
Level 7
Update: So I've recieved the splitters and done some testing and I belive i've gotten it to work.

However my initial plan of putting splitter 2's PWM cable on splitter 1's channel 1 did not work, then it just goes full speed.

But when I put splitter 2's PWM cable on any of the other 7 channels on splitter 1 It apperas to be working as long as there is a regular fan on channel 1-splitter 2.