cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics help? Two R9 280x's on an ASUS HERO VI board crossfired.

philipr1426
Level 7
[Below is a copy of a post i made yesterday on tomshardware, but i have not gotten an answer and this is urgent, so please excuse the repost on another website.]

Here's my build:
http://i44.tinypic.com/2nvusqq.jpg

The case is not in this picture, and it is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

There are two of those r9 280x cards in the system, and I have them crossfired.

So, I bought and built this new PC (my first build from the ground up, by the way), and all was and still is running alright, but I began getting minor artifact issues is a few games, particularly Warframe, BF3, and Planetside 2 thus far (with vsync on in planetside 2 if that matters). I am wondering what is causing the artifacting. For the record this artifacting (and any other glitching) has NOT occured in the following games: Mabinogi, Crysis 2, Dead Space 1 and 3, Left 4 Dead 1 and 2, Garry's Mod, and Path of Exile.

Things I have done:
*Un-crossfired and run each card seperately in BOTH pci-e 3.0 x16 slots, and both cards checked out as alright.
*Lowered the core clock on both cards to 850 MHz (down from 1070 stock overclocked). This did prove to make the cards a bit more stable seeming and less screen tearing occurred because of this, but the minor artifacting did still occasionally occur.
*Ran a 15-minute FurMark Benchmark on each card, of which both passed topping at ~82 C temp wise and no noted artifacting. (in case it is important, i will include that some odd and consistent screen tearing occured in FurMark with the clocks at 1070 Mhz, but not at 850 Mhz. This is true for both cards.)

Any thoughts? Is it just a driver issue because these are relatively new cards? Should I send something back for a replacement? Did I set something up wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1/14/14 (9:58 PM EST)

Could the crossfire bridges cause artifacting? They're both new bridges that came with the GPUs but hey, that'd be an easy fix if it were the issue.
12 REPLIES 12

Antronman
Level 10
Turn Vsync on in all the programs.
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

Chino
Level 15
Welcome to the ROG forums, philipr1426.

When you ran each GPu individually, were you still experiencing the artifacts?

philipr1426
Level 7
Antronman - Planetside 2 experienced artifacts particularly when Vsync was enabled. While it did help in BF3, it did not help Warframe. Also, Vsync creates a noticeable input lag for me. The card did stay significantly cooler with vsync on, though (which i'm assuming is due to the fps cap).

Chino - No. The artifacts were non-existent for both cards in both PCI-e slots when run individually or with crossfire turned off.

And thank you for the quick responses!

Antronman
Level 10
What resolutions and settings are the programs on?

philipr1426
Level 7
1080p with maxed out settings most of the time. The games run smoothly as well, scoring 150-300 fps in Warframe, 90-200 fps in BF3, 70-300 fps in Planetside 2.

I do not use multiple monitors.

Antronman
Level 10
Ahh. Then you may be getting micro-stutters. Micro-stutters can happen because of alternate-frame-rendering. That is when you have multiple GPUs rendering frames on the same monitor. The GPUs alternate between frames, and thus you can get stutters sometimes. There is a technology called RadeonPro that greatly improves CrossFireX performance. Link.

Here is a crappy recreation i made using a Google image and Paint.NET. http://i39.tinypic.com/28qz40y.jpg

That is honestly what it looked like--- with he boxes flashing rapidly, and only in a small section like that as well.

philipr1426
Level 7
I actually looked into micro-stuttering before purchasing the cards because I had never used two GPUs in one system before, and micro-stuttering was a majorly documented issue. I actually cannot get the 'glitching' I saw a few times before to happen again (i've had no problems since putting the cards back into the case last night for whatever reason), but when it did happen it was more like pink boxes overlaying the videogame (Warframe), or pieces of map flashing black (BF3). The pink boxes were also in one small section of the screen and were flashing violently. Micro-stuttering refers to frame lag, not boxes on screen, correct? I've noticed no micro-stuttering issue on these cards, though I also have them underclocked a bit (which i have been told reduces micro-stuttering because of throttling issues not occurring when cards are slightly underclocked).

I'll still look into that software though, as some of the features look useful.

Antronman
Level 10
That might just be a problem with the monitor. But I am glad to hear things have started working :). If the problem persists, try testing the setup with one GPU and see if you get the same weird display issue.