cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Black Screen " issue with Asus R 290

HSeldon
Level 7
I am having this "black screen " issue with my Asus R 290 graphics card(reference cooler) .

Mostly while playing some games . Monitor goes to a "black screen" or turns itself off . Heaven benchmark almost always ends up with black screen.

I did a burnintest. kombustor + prime95 worked half an hour without a problem. Also memtest+ completes without errors.
This maybe a hardware issue or a drivers issue.

A google search shows that there are quite a lot of people having the same problem.

is this a known problem with this particular graphics card? Before sending it back , i want to be sure that its a hardware issue.
18 REPLIES 18

cplifj
Level 7
i have that problem with 290X and only on BF4. benchmarks or other stuff all run flawless for days if needed.

Maybe RMA will be the best thing.

HiVizMan
Level 40
OP it sounds like your card is not working correctly please RMA it
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

I sent it back to RMA , and asked for a replacement. The thing is , i can't show the problem , because it happens very randomly and very hard to replicate . It may happen 2-3 times in 10 mins or run without a problem for a full day. If msi afterburner, hwmonitor or a similar applicaion isn't running in the background , it happens less frequently.

My guess is that , the servicce will run a few 3d benchmarks , and send it back to me cause they didn't see a problem.

Does Asus inform the Authorized services about this problem? Without this kind of information from Asus or AMD , i can't show them and i end up with a $550 worth paper weight.

HSeldon
Level 7
20 days ago, I sent my Asus R290 to RMA .
And today , it is sent back to me, cause they didn't find any problem with it.

Thank you Asus , for manufacturing a malfunctioning card, and not taking responsibility for it.

And what am i supposed to do with this? I paid around $550 last month for it. Shall i just throw it in the garbage?

Retired
Not applicable
Have you been using the IGPU any time before installing the card?

the IGPU intel hd drivers still there = Black screen
Radeon instability = Black screen

do you loose the gpu I(O after a black screen, do you need to do a full power off, and then start again, in order to get a DVI output signal?

if that is the case, the GPU is to blame.. and something is not fully stable with the gpu..

also> the above can occur if the Radeon is VERY overclocked (and crash due to instability)...... not saying yours is..

HSeldon wrote:
Heaven benchmark almost always ends up with black screen.

HSeldon wrote:
The thing is , i can't show the problem , because it happens very randomly and very hard to replicate .

Did you provide the necessary info in a concise manner for the problem to be reproduced? As posted in this thread it is sort of confusing. You state it is pretty much a sure thing to happen if running the Heaven benchmark and then state the issue is not predictable and is difficult to replicate. This is contradictory at best. The more detailed one can be with the description of the issue and the means to reproduce it the more likely it is a satisfactory RMA outcome will be experienced.

HSeldon
Level 7
If overdrive is checked in the Catalyst (maybe afterburner running in the background). Then heaven benchmark mostly causes a black screen . But when overdrive is disabled . and no other temp reading application(hwmonitor, Asus AI, msi afterburner ,coretemp etc ) is running in the background , then the problem becomes infrequent. BSOD still happens but very randomly and infrequently. Once the black screen occurs, only option is the reset the computer.

I never overclocked the card, i just use MSI Afterburner to read the gpu temperature .

So changing settings the software just changes the frequency of the problem. It doesn't go away, but becomes very hard to provoke at will. And i can't show them a problem that can happen any time , maybe once a day.

Forums are full of people complaining about the same issue, so i 'm not the only one who has this tricky problem. For example.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaccFP5ZzG0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAQoiblBJwE

If this is a known issue, Asus must know the details and inform the Auth Services, it is not up to the user to prove , explain, provide solution to a problem that the manufacturer is responsible.

HSeldon
Level 7
I checked the service report . Final says "bios updated ". I was sure this would be the solution they will provide, cause whenever a service doesn't know what they are doing. They either update drivers, or update bios . For me this means, they don't have a clue what they are doing.

Here is the screen shot of GPU-Z before i sent the card 33282

And after the service, updated the Bios which is supposed to solve the problem . Can u see any difference ? Cause i can't .

cplifj
Level 7
try to boot it in BIOS mode (legacy oprom) and not UEFI.

this just fixed it for me.