cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JH, Performance issues related to switching to battery

Acinonyx
Level 7
Hello,

I have a G750JHA with the latest bios 203, which supposedly would fix the throttling issues when AC was removed.

It didn't fix it for my machine. When Playing AC4 or Black ops 2 or COD Ghosts there is serious performance degradation as soon as the AC power is removed. I was wondering if there were any fixes for this?

I searched the forums, tried uninstalling power4gear hybrid, and it says my bios is the latest available when I try to reflash 203. Also tried installing the latest NVidia drivers (1/7/2014)

I notice the performance gets worse the more effects there are on the screen, (AC 4, smoke, Blackops explosions, fire)

When I open the system monitor while switching from AC to Battery the CPU clock numbers jump all over the place.

Makes the games virtually unplayable.

I looked in the bios and don't see an option to turn off speedstep or any power saving technology.

System is stock except for it being updated to windows 8.1

Any suggestions ? Did I just get a dud system?

Thanks in advance
2 REPLIES 2

Sava_Ford
Level 7
I have the same problem. I contact Asus before few days and I get this response:

The BIOS have protection settings for battery to prevent over load.
Since this unit have High spec CPU and GPU,
If all these run full speed,
The battery will easy over load and fail.
And we suggest connect the adaptor when gaming .

hmscott
Level 12
Acinonyx wrote:
Hello,
I have a G750JHA with the latest bios 203, which supposedly would fix the throttling issues when AC was removed.
It didn't fix it for my machine. When Playing AC4 or Black ops 2 or COD Ghosts there is serious performance degradation as soon as the AC power is removed. I was wondering if there were any fixes for this?
I searched the forums, tried uninstalling power4gear hybrid, and it says my bios is the latest available when I try to reflash 203. Also tried installing the latest NVidia drivers (1/7/2014)
I notice the performance gets worse the more effects there are on the screen, (AC 4, smoke, Blackops explosions, fire)
When I open the system monitor while switching from AC to Battery the CPU clock numbers jump all over the place.
Makes the games virtually unplayable.
I looked in the bios and don't see an option to turn off speedstep or any power saving technology.
System is stock except for it being updated to windows 8.1
Any suggestions ? Did I just get a dud system?
Thanks in advance

The BIOS fixed the CPU speed issue, it was locked down to 800mhz before the BIOS update, but the GPU still can't run past reduced speed because it can't draw enough power to run at full speed. That is what you are seeing as far as reduced game performance.

The CPU will scale speed based on demand on the Balanced and Battery Power Plans. The CPU speed will jump up/down based on demand, that is why you see it changing rapidly - mine does too - on all my PC's not running 100%/100% CPU in it's Windows High Performance Power Plan.

If you have the Windows High Performance Power plan selected the CPU speed will stay high constantly, but is a waste of battery power. The Balanced Plan will save power when the CPU isn't needed by reducing power draw/speed, and bring the CPU speed up when needed. The Battery Saving plan is tuned to use less power than Balanced, but I didn't notice that much extended time from using it.

For now, I would put in tunings for games on Battery and on AC, and switch between them so you can play mobile. Pick games out of your library that perform best on battery and save game time for them on battery. 🙂