cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JX not solid?

Darnassus
Status Under Review
I was playing on my G750JX and as I was waiting for something to download, I jutted my legs and then heard something inside the laptop rattle around, it isn't a rattle rattle, but something sounds like it's loose and it moves inside the case.

Anyone can test for me and figure out what it is?

Location of noise = Back Left corner, just where the fan is.
17 REPLIES 17

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Did you ever remove the bottom cover to get to the hard drive or memory?
I broke off one of the plastic clips from the bottom cover when removing it from my G750JW that was rattling around a while until it finally fell out.

Darnassus
Status Under Review
No no no it's not a rattle like.. where you have something unattached to anything. It's like a tapping noise, like it's not properly screwed down into place?

wrangler
Level 7
Does the noise stop when the fan stops, and get faster when the fan goes faster?

Darnassus
Status Under Review
It doesn't make a noise from the fan, it makes a noise if I lightly jump the laptop up and down in my lap.. like, raising my heels up and down while keeping my toes on the floor.

I worry that it's just not a solid construct. What if a knock will make what ever is moving around fall out?

Also, it seems to make the sound on both sides, but the left is louder.

hmscott
Level 12
Darnassus wrote:
I was playing on my G750JX and as I was waiting for something to download, I jutted my legs and then heard something inside the laptop rattle around, it isn't a rattle rattle, but something sounds like it's loose and it moves inside the case.

Anyone can test for me and figure out what it is?

Location of noise = Back Left corner, just where the fan is.

Back Left corner is the CPU fan, and if you rapidly moved the laptop while the fan was running, it might have become temporarily unbalanced - and at speed that could deform the path of the fan blades and they might have clipped the surrounding cage/frame. Hopefully you didn't chip the blades - which would keep them out of balance due to loss of material / weight.

I wouldn't try to recreate the situation to try to figure out what caused it, and I wouldn't shake the laptop while running - fans, disk, DVD are all subject to damage due to physical motion while running.

As a wise man once said, "If it hurts when you do something, don't do it."

Darnassus
Status Under Review
IT's not like that.. it isn't the fan at all. It just feels like something is clunking up and down.. when the laptop is off, it still does it.

Darnassus wrote:
IT's not like that.. it isn't the fan at all. It just feels like something is clunking up and down.. when the laptop is off, it still does it.

A clunk is a loud solid sound, like something isn't attached that should be, right? A screw, or a piece of plastic, or the retaining clip would make little skittery noises.

The only things that could be loose are the drives. The HD drive, and optical drive. You should be able to hold the laptop in both hands, lift it over your head, and as you flip it over, feel the vibration of the loose drives against the plastic... do you?

I haven't heard any such noises from my G750's...

I have heard someone found their drive without screws, just sitting in the tray... you might want to pop the back cover - carefully - and look at the drive trays to see if they are attached. When you have the cover off and invert the laptop, perhaps you can isolate the sound(s).

yeah, i was wondering wha that noise was when my machine takes a slight bump. I don't believe it is something that is loose or defective. I would hazard a guess at it being related to the left hand side fan.

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Hasson82 wrote:
yeah, i was wondering wha that noise was when my machine takes a slight bump. I don't believe it is something that is loose or defective. I would hazard a guess at it being related to the left hand side fan.

Good to know I'm not the only one. Maybe it's something inside the machine that's MEANT to have a little flex / give to it? It just sounds weird..