cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hyper-V BSOD with Maximus VI Gene due to Intel NIC?

bdh7g
Level 7
Using Windows 8.1 64-bit, when I create a Virtual Switch in Hyper-V, I get a BSOD. The only way to get out of it is to either physically disconnect my NIC and reboot, or restore from a restore point prior to enabling Hyper-V. If I do the former, I cannot reconnect the network cable without getting a BSOD.

I can create a Virtual Machine with Hyper-V without a Virtual Switch, no problem. But the moment I create a Virtual Switch I get a BSOD. So, I cannot create a virtual machines with a network connection.

It sounds like pretty much the issue that they describe here:
https://communities.intel.com/message/217183

I have the Maximus VI Gene, with NIC: Intel I217-v.
I do not have another NIC or Wireless card to check against.

I've installed the latest BIOS and Drivers:
Bios 1203 2014.01.03 update (Intel Virtualization ON)
LAN Intel LAN Driver V18.5.54.0 for Windows Win8.1 32bit & Win8.1 64bit---(WHQL). 2013.09.30 update

Any ideas on how to fix this?
1 REPLY 1

bdh7g
Level 7
On further review of the memory dump, it identified cFosSpeed.sys as a cause. Disabling the cFosSpeed System Service, enabled me to successfully create a virtual switch, and connect to the network from the VM. However, the host machine was no longer able to connect to the internet, giving me a "Ethernet Limited" notice in the network bar. Probably because it has cFosSpeed checked in Ethernet Properties.

Looks like cFOSSpeed was causing or involved in the BSOD.