cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G46 Intel Graphics?

shepherd404
Level 7
I have a g46 and I've noticed I have two sets of display drivers, NVidia and Intel. I was trying to understand why I have two? Which one is the working display device? I am concerned my machine is using the Intel graphics, when I disable the Intel drivers I get horrible performance.
3 REPLIES 3

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Unlike the G750, G75, and G55 series notebooks, the G46VW supports nVIdia 'Optimus' and comes with 2 graphic chips enabled as mentioned at the ASUS website
http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/G46VW/#overview

"Dedicated NVIDIA® GPU plus Optimus™: more graphics power, longer battery life

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660M GPUs with 2GB GDDR5 video memory allow the latest games to run in smooth high detail for uncompromising experiences. For better efficiency, NVIDIA® Optimus™ technology intelligently switches between integrated and discrete graphics based on application to save power and prolong battery life, so you can go further between recharges."

You may want to check your device manager and tell us which driver versions you have installed for each.
Check the nVIdia graphics settings as well, but hopefully we can get more ideas from other G46VW owners if there are still problems.

City_Builder
Level 7
Don't disable the Intel GPU, it is used on this laptop for things like your Internet browser and the desktop etc.

Instead right click on the shortcut to your video games and or programs and choose to run them with the Nvidia GPU. Or go into the Nvidia GPU control panel and make the universal default to using the Nvidia chip for all games and programs that it can.

For some reason Nvidia control panel refuses to let me choose to make it the default for things like web browsers, desktop and some programs which is a shame as I'd like to just disable the Intel GPU all together but that would leave this laptop crippled and quite likely unusable.

shepherd404
Level 7
apparently everything is running smoothly as far as I can tell, I noticed frame rate drops in World of Warcraft that I haven't experienced until recently. I appreciate all of the the information. I went to apply for blizzard betas and found that the detected video device was the intel graphics processor which started the concern. that makes sense now considering the card used at the time would be the intel one.