cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bios reset every time I turn off the power supply!

Fanan
Level 7
I have a Maximus VI Hero MB, it haven't yet reached the 2 months since I bought it brand new on a official Asus dealer. So far everything is working good. I did the build of the rig myself but recently I found that if I turn off the power supply, even if is only a few minutes the bios will reset. Didn't moved any jumper or anything and already updated the bios twice. At moment I'm using bios version 1301.

What should I do? Is there any functionality that I'm not seeing?
6 REPLIES 6

Chino
Level 15

Chino wrote:
Welcome to the ROG forums, Fanan.

You can try changing the CMOS battery.

Well the MB is brand NEW! Never in any of my older PC's I had to change a CMOS battery.

Maybe it's something to do with the red led line that stay on even when the PC is off? Don't know but I thought it was any config on the BIOS that automatically would send me to the BIOS because the system thought I had installed any new component.

Of course that every component is within the warranty period. Maybe better to contact the store where I bought it?

Have you tried reflashing the BIOS? I had an old Asus board laying around which I used to upgrade my parents PC. The board had worked for me just fine forever but once installed at my parents the BIOS would reset under the same circumstance. I ruled out it was a battery issue and was able to reflash it and suddenly it would hold the saved settings. It's entirely possible the board was shipped to you with a bad battery, honestly I would try swapping that out first before going through a return/RMA process or my suggestion above. I'm assuming the red line you're talking about is the SupremeFX LED lighting, if so no that is supposed to stay on with the power off (you can disable it within the BIOS however), it shouldn't cause any BIOS setting save issues.
I5-6600k @ 4.7Ghz @1.385v | Corsair H100i cooler | Asus Hero viii | 16gb Gskill Ripjaws V 3000 CL15 | EVGA 980ti SC 6GB | 500GB Samsung 960 Evo | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO

chrsplmr
Level 18
I think @Chino nailed it ... new board does not mean that the battery is good.
That is what the battery does .. so if the board isn't doing that, logic would tell
you that .. maybe it's the battery.
Best of Luck. .c.

Dr__Zchivago
Level 12
Batteries are mass-produced in such ridiculous quantities that the manufacturer can't possibly eliminate all erroneous parts.

Most capacitors, for example, are manufactured with a faulty allowance of almost 15% (you can expect 3 caps out of 20 to be unusable even though they're brand new). Batteries are similar, although not quite that high.

I'm with Chino - replace the CMOS battery, and then see what happens. If you don't want to make the trip until you're sure, you can always check it with a multimeter.

Voltmeter should read ~1.5V across the leads. Then, put a 10 ohm resistor in series with the ammeter and look for ~0.15 amps. Assuming, of course, that you have resistors and that kind of jazz laying around the house like some people.

Dr. Z

HiVizMan
Level 40
Has this been resolved.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.