cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G46vw problems with games that use OpenGL

City_Builder
Level 7
Hi,
I'm hoping somebody can tell me how to fix this problem.

I have the latest Nvidia and Intel GPU drivers on this laptop.

When trying to run video games that use OpenGL (instead of DirectX) in window mode the screen of the game is simply all white or all black.

The game is actually running as I can hear the music and moving the mouse around I can often hear a click type noise if I happen to mouse over a clickable button on the main menu screen but the screen itself is all white. If I can put the game into fullscreen then there is no problem and I can see the game screen just fine and play the game.

I have all the Microsoft Windows updates, guess I'm at 8.1 now and both Nvidia and Intel GPU drivers are updated with the most recent drivers that I can find.

Any clues about this?
3 REPLIES 3

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Sorry, don't play as many games as I should (so feel free to ignore me if necessary), but just wondering if there are any newer games that still use OpenGL, or if these are all older games (I'm heading towards running the games in compatibility mode if you haven't tried it yet, but not much idea if it can help).

Also, curious if CAD software still uses it and these customers are seeing any problems with it.

Well, if these are really bad suggestions, hope it encourages people to post better ones at least.

City_Builder
Level 7
There all new games like Project Zomboid, Starbound (although Starbound also has a directx client) and a couple others. There not big name games or from big name developers or publishers, mostly "indie" games.

There are also a couple programs like a 3D modeling software that I have been trying to use which I can't remember the name but it's made as the construction program for another game that allows me to create 3D objects for the game but it too also fails to run on this laptop due to it's using OpenGL.

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Hmm... have you already tried the latest vga driver posted on the ASUS G46VW download site and comfortable with trying drivers from nVidia's website which may not work well in your system (back-up first if necessary?) ?

The Win8 64-bit driver on the nVidia download site listed for the GeForce GTX 660M shows OpenGL support under the 'Release Highlights' tab, but not sure if you've tried it already or are interested since it's not officially approved on the ASUS end for the G46VW.

Unfortunately, I don't have a G46VW unit around to try right now, so don't have more information.