cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quiet click or tick or something during Diablo 3

CeeHarm
Level 7
Hello,
Running a G750JW - purchased December 12. Ordinarily, machine is super quiet. I have noticed that while playing Diablo 3 (only game I've played thus far on machine), I notice a click or tick sound maybe every ten to twelve seconds. It is not a grating sound - very subtle - coming from the right side (my right) of the machine, like maybe under the keypad section of the board. Anyone else have this or have any thoughts about what it may be?

Many thanks.
9 REPLIES 9

wrangler
Level 7
Does it stop after a while, or does it continue as long as you keep playing?

Continues while I am playing...might continue for a couple of minutes after I'm finished. Thinking maybe cooling fan?

CeeHarm wrote:
Continues while I am playing...might continue for a couple of minutes after I'm finished. Thinking maybe cooling fan?

I wasn't. If it's a fan, I'd expect the sound to vary with fan speed, and you could notice it get faster as the fan exhaust got stronger.

graphic
Level 11
hmm, the biggest problem I could see
while gaming on a laptop is heat......
I never really liked laptops to be honest
I did buy a cheap one for my kids and I
may occasionally use it for browsing the
net but that's it, hopefully others that do
game on a laptop will be able to help you further
I would think though that aslong as it's not
overheating should be fine ......? good luck

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Do you have Diablo 3 installed on the mechanical drive? Or the SSD?

Are you downloading something as you play?

Tom_Windschitl
Level 7
CeeHarm wrote:
Hello,
Running a G750JW - purchased December 12. Ordinarily, machine is super quiet. I have noticed that while playing Diablo 3 (only game I've played thus far on machine), I notice a click or tick sound maybe every ten to twelve seconds. It is not a grating sound - very subtle - coming from the right side (my right) of the machine, like maybe under the keypad section of the board. Anyone else have this or have any thoughts about what it may be?

Many thanks.

I do believe that noise is the hard drive. I have the exact same model, heard the exact same noise and the noise coincided with the hard drive indicator. I actually have not noticed the noise for awhile now though. I was told when i asked about the noise that it is just how the hard drive sounds when running. Either way i have never had any hard drive issues, files load fast/no hiccups.

Tom Windschitl wrote:
I do believe that noise is the hard drive. I have the exact same model, heard the exact same noise and the noise coincided with the hard drive indicator. I actually have not noticed the noise for awhile now though. I was told when i asked about the noise that it is just how the hard drive sounds when running. Either way i have never had any hard drive issues, files load fast/no hiccups.

You could try quietHDD, and disable APM/AAM to stop the head parking action (clicking), and disable sleep disk by setting it to 0 in the Windows Power Plan you have active => Control Panel => Power Options => Power Plan => Advanced => Hard Disk => set to 0.

https://sites.google.com/site/quiethdd/

CeeHarm
Level 7
Mechanical drive. No SSD on this model (g750jw). I just noticed it - we've been online for a while. It is extremely quiet...like if you didn't know to listen, you might not notice it. Sounds like it's coming from the right side of the laptop. Trying to nitice if it corresponds to the drive light, but it doesn't. Hmmm...

CeeHarm
Level 7
I think I realized now what it sounds like. It's the same click that you hear when you shut down the computer. Don't know if that helps at all...