cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Crosshair V Formula Z Video problems

chad2625
Level 7
I Just Got the board installed, the board fails to display video with a GTX 570 nor a GTX 470, GTX 470 was pulled from another working computer. I put a GT 630 in the computer, and the compter displays video just fine and boots just fine. The Bios shows the GT630 (Nvidia Video card) and the GTX 570, but the computer will not display any video on the GTX 570. Windows reconzied the GTX 570 but display no video on it.

My build
AMD 8350
Corssair PSU 750 Watts
OCZ ram
On the code screen im getting AA in windows.

Thanks
10 REPLIES 10

chad2625
Level 7
I have tried a few other things, reinstalling windows (again) I have tried a socket am3 phenom processor. I installed the drivers for the 630GT and it failed to post video as well. I flashed the most recent bios before this all started.

chad2625 wrote:
............I flashed the most recent bios before this all started.

Don't know a lot about these things but maybe try another bios?

Dr__Zchivago
Level 12
Assuming your PSU is good/reliable, and you connected all of the necessary power lines to both the motherboard and the graphics card, have you tried booting with only one stick of RAM, CPU, and the graphics card (connected and powered)?

If you're trying to set up Crossfire, then if I'm not mistaken (please, someone correct me if this is not accurate), the multiple cards must be identical, all.

If not X-Fire, then I'd try the aforementioned "bare-bones" boot set up, and reset BIOS to factory and clear CMOS.

Also, how high is the possibility that the PCIe slot is no good? Maybe try the other slots as well as a part of the "bare-bones" set up.

Additionally, I would appreciate correction if I'm feeding any inaccurate information.

Dr. Z

TheNerdBench
Level 10
Sorry but I need to ask a few questions:

1) did all three cards (GTX 630, 570 & 470) function individually in another system?
2) did all three cards function individually on your CFZ (Cross Hair Formula Z)?

Just to clarify:
Because these cards have different GPUs you will not be able to "bond them" (is this case SLI) if that is what you "may" be trying to do.

[/HR]
For trouble-shooting tips see my blog at:

[/HR]
http://thenerdbench.blogspot.com/p/bench-testing.html

[/HR]
MB: Crosshair V Formula-Z • CPU: FX-8350 • GPU: Asus Matrix R9 280x • RAM: 8GB of Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer (1866)• PSU: Thermaltake DPS Thoughpower 750 Watt • CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio Advanced • Keyboard: TT Sports Challanger Ultimate • Mouse: TT Sports Black Element • Case: Thermaltake GT Level 10

[/HR]

chad2625
Level 7
OK So lets just say here that I have been building computers for 10 years, since I was 17 or so. I took the A+ hardware Class, in college, wich really was just a class that tought me the steps of trouble shooting, i knew most everything hardware they taught. So we can assume that is not a basic, cable, or seating issue (unless there is an odd fit somewhere).

Ok so to answer questions starting in top down. Good Corsair PSU, brand new, although I had the same problems with the older PSU (I thought it could be the cause So I replaced it). I have tried a multiple configurations of PCIE slots. The Crosshair is a upgrade the 570 was a pull from the old build (working build), the 470's were working from another computer. ATI uses crossfire, and Nvidia uses Sli you can't link cards that are different moddles and the 630 cant sli at all because it dosent support it. I am not trying to SLI the different cards just use them to trouble shoot the problem.

The problem seems to be this. tthe 470 and 570 do not display video. infact if you don't connect power to the cards, normally they scream at you letting you know you forgot, but if I dont on this board they do nothing. But the Bios registers the cards being installed. Now when i put the 630 and 470 in the both cards get reconzied by the bios. and show in the device manager. No video is outputted on the 470, just the 630. I got tired of trouble shooting in 680*480 so I install nvida drivers, nothing unusall reboot, windows loading screen and then the video dies, again on both cards. Windows is running because when the power button is pressed the computer shut downs and dosnt just turn off. Booted into safe mode device manager shows both cards by name and has nvidia drivers. going to reinstall windows again and go step by step again and make notes for you.

chad2625
Level 7
Ok I had 3 maybe 4 problems. The first A bad Pcie Slot, a bad DVI cable, video drivers before Chip set, and I changed Video card selection was set to PEG/PCI to PCI/PEG These things fixed my problem. When I changed PCIE ports I went from a bad port and a bad DVI cable, this is odvi cable. I don't know if the PEG/PCI setting did anything but I did change it. Thanks for the suggestions. Feel free to PM me for questions, its not my board but it's my partners.

TheNerdBench
Level 10
Sorry for the confusion as I didn't totally understand the first post; just remember that we are here to help 🙂

Yep as you pointed out...always a good idea to install chipset drivers first.

The PCI/PEG would boot initialize the a PCI card first followed by a PCI Express Card; I would assume the cards are all PCI Express.

Regardless it seems you have the system "up" and thanks for getting back to us...always nice to find out what the real problem was/is.

[/HR]
For trouble-shooting tips see my blog at:

[/HR]
http://thenerdbench.blogspot.com/p/bench-testing.html

[/HR]
MB: Crosshair V Formula-Z • CPU: FX-8350 • GPU: Asus Matrix R9 280x • RAM: 8GB of Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer (1866)• PSU: Thermaltake DPS Thoughpower 750 Watt • CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio Advanced • Keyboard: TT Sports Challanger Ultimate • Mouse: TT Sports Black Element • Case: Thermaltake GT Level 10

[/HR]

chad2625 wrote:
Ok I had 3 maybe 4 problems. The first A bad Pcie Slot, a bad DVI cable, video drivers before Chip set, and I changed Video card selection was set to PEG/PCI to PCI/PEG These things fixed my problem. When I changed PCIE ports I went from a bad port and a bad DVI cable, this is odvi cable. I don't know if the PEG/PCI setting did anything but I did change it. Thanks for the suggestions. Feel free to PM me for questions, its not my board but it's my partners.

It is interesting that you had 2 solid problems; bad slot, and bad cable, and then 2 maybe issues: bad drivers, and to follow a UEFI selection. Whoa!

TheNerdBench wrote:
Sorry for the confusion as I didn't totally understand the first post; just remember that we are here to help 🙂

Yep as you pointed out...always a good idea to install chipset drivers first.

The PCI/PEG would boot initialize the a PCI card first followed by a PCI Express Card; I would assume the cards are all PCI Express.

Regardless it seems you have the system "up" and thanks for getting back to us...always nice to find out what the real problem was/is.

Are you sure about this comment? I only ask as there is no PCI slot on the Formula-Z. Is there some other way to use a PCI video card in a PCIe only motherboard?
Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | AMD FX 8350 | G.Skill TridentX 2400 16G | Asus Matrix GTX 580 Platinum | Sandisk Extreme SSD 480GB | SB X-Fi Titanium HD | Asus VG248QE | Corsair AX860i PSU | Lian-Li PC-V1200 | Win 7 Pro x64 | Zalman CNPS 9900 Maxx

HiVizMan
Level 40
If there are any question keep them in the open forum so that other users who have similar problems can be helped.

If the board is new or within warranty I would RMA it, all your PCIe slots should work. Thank you for the detailed problem solving.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.