Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    4

    Quiet click or tick or something during Diablo 3

    Hello,
    Running a G750JW - purchased December 12. Ordinarily, machine is super quiet. I have noticed that while playing Diablo 3 (only game I've played thus far on machine), I notice a click or tick sound maybe every ten to twelve seconds. It is not a grating sound - very subtle - coming from the right side (my right) of the machine, like maybe under the keypad section of the board. Anyone else have this or have any thoughts about what it may be?

    Many thanks.

  2. #2
    ROG Enthusiast Array wrangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    61

    Does it stop after a while, or does it continue as long as you keep playing?

  3. #3
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    4

    Continues while I am playing...might continue for a couple of minutes after I'm finished. Thinking maybe cooling fan?

  4. #4
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array graphic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Reputation
    26
    Posts
    235

    hmm, the biggest problem I could see
    while gaming on a laptop is heat......
    I never really liked laptops to be honest
    I did buy a cheap one for my kids and I
    may occasionally use it for browsing the
    net but that's it, hopefully others that do
    game on a laptop will be able to help you further
    I would think though that aslong as it's not
    overheating should be fine ......? good luck

  5. #5
    ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array Darnassus PC Specs
    Darnassus PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G752VS -=-=- G750JX
    MotherboardASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. G752VS (U3E1) -=-=- ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. G750JX (SOCKET 0)
    Processori7 6700HQ @ 2.60GHz -=-=- i7-4700HQ CPU @ 2.40GHz - 3.40GHz
    Memory (part number)2x16gb (M471A2K43BB1-CRC) -=-=- 2x8gb (HMT41GS6AFR8A-PB)
    Graphics Card #1GTX 1070 (8GB) -=-=- GTX 770M (3GB)
    Sound CardRealtek High Definition Audio / NVIDIA High Definition Audio
    MonitorGSync IPS 75HZ -=-=- Chi Mei 60Hz (Overclocked to 85Hz)
    Storage #1Samsung SSD 960 EVO 250GB x2 -=-=- LITEONIT LCS-256M6S
    Storage #2HGST HTS721010A9E630 -=-=- ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB
    CPU CoolerStock -=-=- Stock
    CaseStock -=-=- Stock
    Power SupplyStock -=-=- Stock
    Keyboard Stock -=-=- Stock
    Mouse Razer Naga Epic 1st Generation
    Headset SPH 2500
    Mouse Pad Razer Goliathus
    OS Winblows 10 Pro -=-=- Winblows 8.1 Pro
    Network RouterCG3000v2
    Darnassus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Reputation
    61
    Posts
    1,651

    Do you have Diablo 3 installed on the mechanical drive? Or the SSD?

    Are you downloading something as you play?

  6. #6
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    40

    Quote Originally Posted by CeeHarm View Post
    Hello,
    Running a G750JW - purchased December 12. Ordinarily, machine is super quiet. I have noticed that while playing Diablo 3 (only game I've played thus far on machine), I notice a click or tick sound maybe every ten to twelve seconds. It is not a grating sound - very subtle - coming from the right side (my right) of the machine, like maybe under the keypad section of the board. Anyone else have this or have any thoughts about what it may be?

    Many thanks.
    I do believe that noise is the hard drive. I have the exact same model, heard the exact same noise and the noise coincided with the hard drive indicator. I actually have not noticed the noise for awhile now though. I was told when i asked about the noise that it is just how the hard drive sounds when running. Either way i have never had any hard drive issues, files load fast/no hiccups.

  7. #7
    ROG Guru: Platinum Belt Array hmscott PC Specs
    hmscott PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G750JH-DB71 (legacy)
    MotherboardAsus G750JH Intel HM87
    ProcessorIntel i7-4700HQ XTU Cores 36x/35x/34x/34x Cache 36x -50mV undervolt
    Memory (part number)Hyundai Electronics HMT41GS6AFR8A-PB 1.35v DDR3L-1600MHz
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia 780m Asus GPU Tweak OC 932mhz/6300mhz
    Sound CardRealtek v6.0.1.7469 driver
    MonitorAUO B173HW02 V1 Custom Refresh 85hz
    Storage #1RAID0 2x M.2 SATA Crucial MX200 512GB CT500MX200SSD6
    Storage #2Crucial 512GB 2.5" MX200 CT500MX200SSD1
    Power Supply230w AC Power Adapter 19.5v
    Keyboard Logitech k400 Wireless KB/Trackpad
    Headset Sony MDR-XB500 Wired and Sennheiser RS-220 Wireless TOSLINK
    OS Windows 8.1 + 8 Linux VM's + Windows 10 Technical Preview
    Network RouterAsus RT-AC68U DLINK DIR-655

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Reputation
    44
    Posts
    5,357

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Windschitl View Post
    I do believe that noise is the hard drive. I have the exact same model, heard the exact same noise and the noise coincided with the hard drive indicator. I actually have not noticed the noise for awhile now though. I was told when i asked about the noise that it is just how the hard drive sounds when running. Either way i have never had any hard drive issues, files load fast/no hiccups.
    You could try quietHDD, and disable APM/AAM to stop the head parking action (clicking), and disable sleep disk by setting it to 0 in the Windows Power Plan you have active => Control Panel => Power Options => Power Plan => Advanced => Hard Disk => set to 0.

    https://sites.google.com/site/quiethdd/

  8. #8
    ROG Enthusiast Array wrangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    61

    Quote Originally Posted by CeeHarm View Post
    Continues while I am playing...might continue for a couple of minutes after I'm finished. Thinking maybe cooling fan?
    I wasn't. If it's a fan, I'd expect the sound to vary with fan speed, and you could notice it get faster as the fan exhaust got stronger.

  9. #9
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    4

    Mechanical drive. No SSD on this model (g750jw). I just noticed it - we've been online for a while. It is extremely quiet...like if you didn't know to listen, you might not notice it. Sounds like it's coming from the right side of the laptop. Trying to nitice if it corresponds to the drive light, but it doesn't. Hmmm...

  10. #10
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    4

    I think I realized now what it sounds like. It's the same click that you hear when you shut down the computer. Don't know if that helps at all...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •