cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help understanding Pcie expansion slots on MVF

Mountainlifter
Level 10
Hi guys,

Until recently, this is how I was using my expansion slots (in order of physical location on the MoBo)

x4 - blocked by cooler, unused
x16 - Asus GTX titan
x1 - unused
x1 - unused
x16 - unused
x1 - unused
x16 - soundcard Asus Xonar Essence STX (fits into an x1 slot)

I got a second GTX titan for cheap and installed it in this way

x4 - blocked by cooler
x16 - Asus GTX titan
x1 - unused
x1 - soundcard Asus Xonar Essence STX
x16 - Asus GTX titan
x1 - unused
x16 - unused

My questions are as follows:

(1) In the first setup, would my GPU have had full x16 bandwidth? I am asking because the soundcard is occupying the third x16 slot. Would this have moved to the x8/x4/x4 config as suggested by the asus mobo spec here http://www.asus.com/ROG_ROG/MAXIMUS_V_FORMULA/#specifications

(2) Moving to the second setup, GPU-Z confirms that my two titans have x8 x8 bandwidth. I moved the soundcard up to the x1 slot for aesthetic purposes. Now, it seems that while using the same video player, same content, same headphones etc., I am just not getting enough volume from the sound card. I mean that a volume of 30 used to suffice but now 100 is required. I am wondering if this is because the x1 slot has lower power than the x16 slot and if that is why I'm experiencing this change in volume. (All driver settings are the same and the card also uses molex power)

(I am a novice builder who started PC building only in Feb of 2013. So, kindly refrain from getting annoyed if any of my questions have obvious answers.)
3 REPLIES 3

kkn
Level 14
well if im not mistaken and you now move it to the bottom 16x it may drop down to 8 4 4x on the lanes.
i my self have it in the top pcie 1x slot.
go in to windows on the sound setup and turn up the volume there.
see if that gives you enny more boost on the volume.
and i guess you have the 6pin power connected to the card??

kkn wrote:
well if im not mistaken and you now move it to the bottom 16x it may drop down to 8 4 4x on the lanes.
i my self have it in the top pcie 1x slot.
go in to windows on the sound setup and turn up the volume there.
see if that gives you enny more boost on the volume.
and i guess you have the 6pin power connected to the card??

Hey, thanks for replying.
I tested it out with the two Titans in the first two x16 red slots and the sound card in the last x16 slot. GPU-Z still shows x8-x8 for the two GPUs.

And I am getting more volume when the sound card is back down on the third x16. Also, the windows sound and the card's driver/software volume control are linked. So, if I max out one, the other is maxed out too.

I haven't connected the power to the ezplug connector at the lower end of the mobo. And I haven't connected the additional 4-pin power next to the standard 8pin power to the CPU. (In case this information is useful)

Does the ezplug give more juice to the Pcie lanes? I read on some forums that the ezplug needs to be connected when using more than one GPU but I haven't and everything still works okay.

ANy help is appreciated.

Mountainlifter wrote:

Does the ezplug give more juice to the Pcie lanes? I read on some forums that the ezplug needs to be connected when using more than one GPU but I haven't and everything still works okay.

ANy help is appreciated.

The EZ plug provides an additonal power source to the PCIe power plane. Without that connected, all the current is drawn via the ATX 12V connector which will overheat if the current being drawn is beyond what the pins can safely carry. The EZ plug is recommended for use when using 3 GPUs or more. However, it does not hurt to plug it in even if using fewer GPUs.

Hope this helps.

~Raja