cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z87- PRO wont boot

juandavidcas89
Level 7
Hello everyone,

So I was playing a game the other day and my computer just died. Tried to turn it on and nothing happened. I thought my motherboard was fried so I took it apart. I was thinking about trying to turn it on again so i did without the graphics card and the pci cards I had. The weird part was that the motherboard started but only if I had the motherboard power cable plugged. But when i plugged the CPU power cable to the motherboard, then the motherboard would start but only for 1 sec. It just flashes for 1 second with the code 00. Before this I was noticing some weird behavior. When i was playing games my screen would like flash for like 1 second and turn black.
My system specs
Corsair AX860
Intel 4770k
Asus z87-pro

I dont know if any other specs are really relevant for this situation.

Thank you in advance for your help
14 REPLIES 14

juandavidcas89
Level 7
I'll try to post a video later with the CPU power cable on and without

Raja
Level 13
Code 00 means the CPU isn't detected - could be a number of reasons:

1) Dead CPU.
2) VRM for CPU is dead.
3) Massive instability due to overclocking.
4) PSU fault, either PSU alone, or PSU fault has caused VRM failure or worse VRM and CPU failure.

~Raja

juandavidcas89
Level 7
Ok thanks for the fast reply. What would you recommend in this case?
I bought everything last year august so I'm pretty sure It's under warranty.

Raja
Level 13
If you dont have spare parts to debug, then your options are to find someone that can do the test for you or to RMA all associated parts. If for example the PSU has a fault that allows it to continue working, you won't know but it could kill another board.

Clear CMOS on the board and see if that makes any difference. Was the system overclocked previously?

I think I will begin the process to return the PSU , motherboard and CPU so they check everything. It's really frustrating tho!

juandavidcas89
Level 7
Nope, everything was a stock setup. I never intended to do an overclock 😞

Raja
Level 13
Or find a nearby shop that can help..

juandavidcas89
Level 7
So I decided to try it one last time and reseated the CPU and turned it on. At first it was starting on 2 times. But then I got to the bios so i took advantage to update the bios to the newest. Now it starts up just fine but only without my graphics card. I have no clue what to do now.

juandavidcas89
Level 7
I must add that the computer was working just fine with the GPU for almost 2 months. Only recently i was noticing that my screen went black for 1 sec as if I had disconnected the HDMI.