cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus vi hero usb issues - please help

Tomasz_Dudziak
Level 7
Hi,
Got my motherboard just before Christmas and I've noticed that few problems are going with this mobo.

First is that (i'm running win8.1/64) after I try to shut down, instead of shutting down, it reboots itself.
Second is that when everything is on - usb 2.0 and 3.0 ports disconnects my accessories (mouse, keyboard, webcam... etc.). Then I have to unplug and plug again to keep it working.
Third is that after shut down it still powers up my mouse or keyboard, etc.

Please help as I don't know if mobo is faulty or there is a issue with any of the software. I just want to know before I contact any support or retailer.

Thanks a lot.
13 REPLIES 13

srashedian
Level 7
Hi;

As USB ports disconnecting, it can be an issue of the USB3.0 driver... But USB power staying on even after you shutdown is one of the motherboards features, not a fault, this means you can charge your USB devices (phone, kindle, tablet and etc) even if you turn of the computer itself, but if you're uncomfortable with it you can enable ErP in the BIOS to cut off the power to USB ports after shutdown.

There are more knowledgeable people than me here to assist you on your shutdown problem, but I believe it's because of a feature in windows 8 called fast boot, it basically hibernates the windows instead of actually shutting it down, and since the USB devices stay on after shutting down the system, one of your USB accessories goes crazy and sends a wake-up call to the computer turning it back on again.

Chino
Level 15
Welcome to the ROG forums, Tomasz Dudziak.

To solve the restart problem when shutting down, remove the Intel RST software. Restart afterwards. Then try shutting down again and you should be fixed.

For the USB problem, try disabling xHCI in the BIOS. Report back your results.

Chino wrote:

For the USB problem, try disabling xHCI in the BIOS. Report back your results.

Hi,

I'm new here and being curious how could I solve my problem with an external USB3 HDD which sporadically keeps disconnecting. Originally installed Asus V2.5.0.19 then Intel V2.5.1.28 USB3 driver (Win7 x64, BIOS 1102), have disabled USB selective suspend in power plan settings (it helped with older Gigabyte P55 mobo but not with VI Hero).
Is there a way to get the xHCI working without this issue and/or interfering with USB2 devices connected to USB2 ports? - I couldn't even install Saitek X52 driver on my PC before I switched to EHCI mode. Would the new 1301 BIOS upgrade make any sense? - "Improve system stability" in the description says really nothing to me.

o/

Tomasz_Dudziak
Level 7
Hi,
Thank you a lot for fast replay. Will do everything and post results within few days as I told you guys, it is not happening all the time, just few times a week.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Andrei please start your own thread so as not to make this one all confused for folks.

Thank you
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

I'm having a similar problem which my USB keyboard keep disconnecting every now and then and I had to do the unplug and plug again to keep that working again. However, my mouse which is connected directly onto the keyboard USB port is still functioning correctly along with some of the function keys on the keyboard (Mute button, volume Up / Down) and the back light of the keyboard are still on, its just the rest of the keyboard will not respond at all as if it had been disconnected.
I've updated the BIOS to the latest version (1301), updated the Intel USB3.0 Controller Driver to V2.5.0.19, updated my keyboard driver to the latest (Logitech G110), and i've also tried disabling xHCI in BIOS and still the problem occur every now and then.
Can someone please advise if this is simply a compatibility issue with the motherboard which will be rectify by ASUS with their future BIOS updates or do i have a faulty motherboard in which i will need to send back to the retailer for further testing?

Thank you.

Praz
Level 13
shermanlung, post #6 would also be applicable to you. Thanks.

Tomasz_Dudziak
Level 7
Hi guys! srashedian and Chino! Thanks a lot guys!!! I own you 😄 After over 3 weeks I have to say IT'S WORKING properly! Regarding to this issue... is it common issue with this motherboard? Thanks again folks.

Thanks a lot!! Removing Intel RST and disabling xHCI in USB power option in BIOS solved the USB power problem!:cool: