cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need some help w my G750JX extra SSD

Kantm
Level 7
Hi,

So i've got an original 750HDD w my G750JX, i purchased an SSD and install Win 8 OEM on it from an USB stick. In order for the G750 to recognize the ssd n usb, i have to remove the hdd and then disable secure boot from BIOS.

Now there's 2 things bugging me.

1. I have to disable Secure Boot option in bios for good, otherwise it will boot directly to the HDD w the Windows Boot Manager. I didn't want to format the HDD just yet.

2. The Asus ROG boot screen is gone, now the appearance order on screen when i turn on my gear is: Asus ROG for 0.5s, blank for 2s, then window 8 logo ....

Any help?

Also, myglossy screen got problem so i changed back to the matte one and found this. whenever i use chrome and unplugged, the color is fine on top of the page, if i scroll down for like, 3~5 lines, the color start to change to yellow-ish, if i scroll back up, it reverse. if i plug in, color wont change...

Any thoughts?

Thank you so much in advance.
12 REPLIES 12

Pitcher1
Level 9
what is your BIOS version, please update to new one, if you new SSD to one hdd bay or selection SSD to first boot device, is it happen?

getjohnalive
Level 7
Kantm wrote:
Hi,

So i've got an original 750HDD w my G750JX, i purchased an SSD and install Win 8 OEM on it from an USB stick. In order for the G750 to recognize the ssd n usb, i have to remove the hdd and then disable secure boot from BIOS.

Now there's 2 things bugging me.

1. I have to disable Secure Boot option in bios for good, otherwise it will boot directly to the HDD w the Windows Boot Manager. I didn't want to format the HDD just yet.

2. The Asus ROG boot screen is gone, now the appearance order on screen when i turn on my gear is: Asus ROG for 0.5s, blank for 2s, then window 8 logo ....

Any help?

Also, myglossy screen got problem so i changed back to the matte one and found this. whenever i use chrome and unplugged, the color is fine on top of the page, if i scroll down for like, 3~5 lines, the color start to change to yellow-ish, if i scroll back up, it reverse. if i plug in, color wont change...

Any thoughts?

Thank you so much in advance.

man, your SSD should be recognized in you G750JX BIOS without disabling Secure boot. I installed my Intel SSD in my G750JX without disabling secure boot. and it is working well. is your SSD an external USB?

all you need is to install your SSD in your G750JX without another HDD in your laptop and then install windows or restore your Windows on it.. after installation then you can install the second HDD in your G750JX and turn on laptop and go to BIOS and reset BIOS and restart your laptop. then your laptop should recognize both your SSD and HDD in windows.

Yes, Windows logo will appear during boot after you disable secure boot. but it is only recommended to disable secure boot if you want to install windows 7 or older Windows OS.

Prostar_Compute
Level 9
You can leave Secure Boot on. You just need to rearrange the Hard Drive BBS priorities. If the original hard drive still has an existing installation of Windows on it, you'll probably see two Windows Boot Manager options in the boot menu. That's fine, just move the SSD to the top of the BBS priorities menu and it should boot from that from then on.

As for your screen, I don't know what's going on, but that does not sound normal. If you could record it and upload it, then link us to it, users might be able to offer some insight as to what is happening and make recommendations.

We customize Asus, MSI, and Clevo laptops!

Thanks for your input, let me clarify something here

I did remove the original hdd to install new windows, and have to disable secure boot in bios. Otherwise it wont recognize the usb stick with windows img in it.

And after everything is set up. If I enable secure boot, the HDD would just kick in every time. When secure boot is enabled, I dont even see the plextor ssd anywhere to choose. Will update w picture tmr when im back.

Also there's a new issue w windows 8.1, it only happened around last month. Compete shutdown take like 5mins. The screen, keylit fade out fast as normal, but the lights which indicating the laptop is still working stay put for like 5mins. Easiest way to see this problem is restart roughly 6minutes...

I googled this and found others got similar problems, they solved it by installing wibdows update KB288.... something, I checked, and there were 2 files in the download, one of them is 9mb qmd my laptop claim windows had that installed already.the other one about 250kb, and my laptop wont install it, saying its not compatible.

Last thing I ever tweak my laptop during last month is when utorrent and some service prevent my laptop from sleeping.i followed an instruction online and disabled it.

Kantm
Level 7
hi, here's the updated info with pictures:

How my BIOS w Secure Boot looks like:

Boot Options

Nothing to select except the HDD in Boot Options Priorities

CSM prompt that it needs Boot Secure to be enabled to work

Nothing show up for Boot Override also

Here CSM is enabled, then I need to enable PXE OpROM to select boot priorities

Here's how it looks, after restart for everything to take effects.

And yes. enabling Secure Boot does brings back the ROG logo ....

Kantm
Level 7
And the problem with the long Shutdown / Restart, i tried the old OS from the HDD, the problem doesn't occur. So it's the OS itself, idk what i should do now

getjohnalive
Level 7
man, I don't know why you're having problem with this laptop..I have tried two SSDs in my G750JX without any issue.. I never disabled secure boot when installing new SSDs or HDDs in G750JX. even have USB HDD and it is working very well. currently have installed Windows 8.1 and it is running very well....and I think your plextor ssd might have problem or is not compatible with windows 8/8.1. but it should work...

Kantm
Level 7
well, i can live without the asus rog logo on start up then, now the only thing bugging me is the shutdown time...

Kantm wrote:
well, i can live without the asus rog logo on start up then, now the only thing bugging me is the shutdown time...

Try disabling/turning off Bluetooth before shutting down / restarting, that works for me.