Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

Anyone Have a Look? (Vbios, Overclock) 765, 770 and 780m

Hi guys, just dropping by to show you guys a link I stumbled upon earlier today.

**Link Removed for Safety Please Request If Interested**

In the following link, there are Vbioses for 765, 770 and 780m cards. There is actually on specifically for the GTX770M on the G750JX. I havent had a chance to try it out yet, since I am rather reluctant with Bios flashing due to inexperience, especially in the vBios area. Thus I'm throwing this out there in case anyone with expertise could give it a try and give us some feedbacks. Hopefully, this could solve our problems with the +135 imposed clock lock. Furthermore, with an adjustable power target, we would be able to achieve much higher overclocks than what is available in the default "locked" bios.
    Last edited by abeepak1; 11-30-2013 at 09:06 AM.

ROG Guru: Platinum Belt Array hmscott PC Specs
    hmscott PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G750JH-DB71 (legacy)
    MotherboardAsus G750JH Intel HM87
    ProcessorIntel i7-4700HQ XTU Cores 36x/35x/34x/34x Cache 36x -50mV undervolt
    Memory (part number)Hyundai Electronics HMT41GS6AFR8A-PB 1.35v DDR3L-1600MHz
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia 780m Asus GPU Tweak OC 932mhz/6300mhz
    Sound CardRealtek v6.0.1.7469 driver
    MonitorAUO B173HW02 V1 Custom Refresh 85hz
    Storage #1RAID0 2x M.2 SATA Crucial MX200 512GB CT500MX200SSD6
    Storage #2Crucial 512GB 2.5" MX200 CT500MX200SSD1
    Power Supply230w AC Power Adapter 19.5v
    Keyboard Logitech k400 Wireless KB/Trackpad
    Headset Sony MDR-XB500 Wired and Sennheiser RS-220 Wireless TOSLINK
    OS Windows 8.1 + 8 Linux VM's + Windows 10 Technical Preview
    Network RouterAsus RT-AC68U DLINK DIR-655

Quote Originally Posted by abeepak1 View Post
    Hi guys, just dropping by to show you guys a link I stumbled upon earlier today.
    (link removed at abeepak1's requst)
    In the following link, there are Vbioses for 765, 770 and 780m cards. There is actually on specifically for the GTX770M on the G750JX. I havent had a chance to try it out yet, since I am rather reluctant with Bios flashing due to inexperience, especially in the vBios area. Thus I'm throwing this out there in case anyone with expertise could give it a try and give us some feedbacks. Hopefully, this could solve our problems with the +135 imposed clock lock. Furthermore, with an adjustable power target, we would be able to achieve much higher overclocks than what is available in the default "locked" bios.
    ""Hey Guys, so I like found these nuclear weapons with launch codes lying about on the internet, and I thought I would share the link with you all, just in case someone else, certainly not me, wants to light one off inside his or her laptop...""

None of those vbios listed are specific to the G750 series, likely as not flashing one will "melt down" or "brick" your GTX card.

Perhaps if someone finds a stack of spare GTX7XXm cards sitting around we can all light fuses until we find one that works?
    Last edited by hmscott; 11-30-2013 at 09:19 AM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Note: To download, you need to have 5 posts, thus anyone with a Tech Inferno member status please let us know.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by hmscott View Post
    abeepak1, I found these nuclear weapons with launch codes lying about on the internet, and thought I would share the link with you all, just in case someone else, certainly not me, wants to light one off inside his or her laptop... just saying...
    LOL scott, to be honest, the only thing stopping me from downloading them and trying it is finding the time to read how to flash a vBios (couldnt be that different from normal Bios Flashing) and getting those five posts.

I would probably get to it eventually; the adjustable power target, voltage range and uncapped clock I find very alluring.

But of course, to each their own. and if you do not know how this works, nor feel comfortable flashing a vBios, by all means DO NOT attempt it.
    Last edited by abeepak1; 11-30-2013 at 03:15 AM.

hmscott PC Specs

Note: To download, you need to have 5 posts, thus anyone with a Tech Inferno member status please let us know.
    abeepak1, we will wait while you make 5 posts and are eligable to download them yourself, then we will wait for your report, and instructions on how to upgrade our vBios's successfully, safely too if you can arrange that

Don't forget to get photo's of the lovely mushroom cloud that forms above your laptop(s) during the first few failures... under the right lighting I hear it is quite beautiful.

Perhaps a photo of the look on your face when you realize you bricked your laptop too, and just for reference take one now with that innocent look of excitement at the potential improvement in performance promised by the effort.

You might want to practice that innocent look so you can recreate it for Asus when you try to get your video card repaired.
    Last edited by hmscott; 11-30-2013 at 03:36 AM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

There is actually one vBios listed for the G750JX if you look closely in the attachments scott.

"Asus 770m (G750JX) - 80.06.54.00.13 'OC edition' rev02.zip (124.8 KB, 0 views) "

hmscott PC Specs

LOL scott, to be honest, the only thing stopping me from downloading them and trying it is finding the time to read how to flash a vBios (couldnt be that different from normal Bios Flashing) and getting those five posts.

I would probably get to it eventually; the adjustable power target, voltage range and uncapped clock I find very alluring.

But of course, to each their own. and if you do not know how this works, nor feel comfortable flashing a vBios, by all means DO NOT attempt it.
    abeepak1, I do know how it works, and that is why I am making light of the disaster I know will befall anyone not willing to invest the time to learn how to do it correctly.

Backing up the original vbios, making sure that the replacement vBios fits in Flash, making sure the format matches, making sure the patching checks out, and then - not being the first one to do it on a $3000 laptop

Please, noone do this until someone that knows what they are doing, and can recover from a loss easily, does it first and makes a how to guide and a cache of tested / known good vbioses for our Asus G750's that actually do something useful - just because it removes the limits doesn't mean there is enough headroom to be useful.

How about I post a picture of the last user to try this, and fail...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clown-mushroom-cloud.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	30374

hmscott PC Specs

There is actually one vBios listed for the G750JX if you look closely in the attachments scott.

"Asus 770m (G750JX) - 80.06.54.00.13 'OC edition' rev02.zip (124.8 KB, 0 views) "
    When does "0 views" indicate a well tested vbios?

Where are the instructions, the recovery procedure, reports on how it helped performance... anything? There are hundreds of postings in that thread about dozens of laptops from many different brands. Which are the ones that apply to the Asus G750 series?

It is irresponsible to suggest others try something that you are unwilling to do yourself, hoping they will take the hit of failure instead of you.

At least do enough research first and find something to share that is useful, and avoid sharing something so raw and unsafe, and potentially dangerous and costly to an unsuspecting enthusiast.

I know you simply didn't think it through, and you didn't intend that anything bad would happen to someone else, but it could easily happen to anyone simply downloading the tools for flashing and then trying their luck on a couple of vbios that have the right name/numbers associated with it.

Thanks for the heads up on the link
    Last edited by hmscott; 11-30-2013 at 03:45 AM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

abeepak1, we will wait while you make 5 posts and are eligable to download them yourself, then we will wait for you report, and instructions on how to upgrade our vBios's successfully, safely too if you can arrange that

Don't forget to get photo's of the lovely mushroom cloud that forms above your laptop(s) during the first few failures... under the right lighting I hear it is quite beautiful.

Perhaps a photo of the look on your face when you realize you bricked your laptop too, and just for reference take one now with that innocent look of excitement at the potential improvement in performance promised by the effort.

You might want to practice that innocent look so you can recreate it for Asus when you try to get your video card repaired.

Not sure if it is just me, but I find your post rather rude. Earlier when I just purchased my G750JX and was overclocking, me and a few others were looking for such options of a modded vBios. Which of course wasnt available, or known by me to be available at the time. And thus, stumbling over this today, and remembering that there are a few others out there interested; I decided to bring the bone home to share with the others. Whether they feel comfortable to do it or not is completely up to them, and quite frankly put it out there that I have yet to gain full understanding of vBios flashing, and yet have gotten the five posts.

I was willing to overlook the first coarse reply, but this is pushing it. You might be having a bad day, or you may just be plain bored, but all Im doing here is sharing my findings. Overclocking is of course not covered by warranty, and any who would like to proceed know the risks full well. Many with understanding and patience are willing to go through with it, and this vBios flashing is indifferent; only requiring a greater depth in understanding of such areas. Yet, I have seen no one making replies such as "You might want to practice that innocent look so you can recreate it for Asus when you try to get your video card repaired. " or "Don't forget to get photo's of the lovely mushroom cloud that forms above your laptop(s) during the first few failures... under the right lighting I hear it is quite beautiful. " Since most going into it knows the risk and are willing to attempt it.

If you are unable to make a meaningful reply, other than to take a sarcastic jab at the post for your own pleasure, then please by all means have a go at 4chan. I am merely sharing my findings, take it or leave it.

ROG Enthusiast Array

abeepak1, I do know how it works, and that is why I am making light of the disaster I know will befall anyone not willing to invest the time to learn how to do it correctly.

Backing up the original vbios, making sure that the replacement vBios fits in Flash, making sure the format matches, making sure the patching checks out, and then - not being the first one to do it on a $3000 laptop

Please, noone do this until someone that knows what they are doing, and can recover from a loss easily, does it first and makes a how to guide and a cache of tested / known good vbioses for our Asus G750's that actually do something useful - just because it removes the limits doesn't mean there is enough headroom to be useful.

How about I post a picture of the last user to try this, and fail...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clown-mushroom-cloud.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	30374
    I may have been unclear in my choice of words for that post you quoted, thus I apologize in that regard. I was not pointing out that you "hmscott" does not know how to do it, but was pointing out to the general audience if you will, that "if you do not know how this works or have the expertise, DO NOT attempt it". So I do share your sentiments in that regard.

Though whether or not enough head room is provided or whether or not this will be remotely useful to the community is ultimately up for the user to decide.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast