cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where is my power supply!!! [solved]

Benja1337
Level 7
:mad: I have been having an issue with my G750jw laptop not charging since the 13!!! I called Asus tech support and they told me that i would have to mail the power supply to them (at my cost) then it would take 8 to 10 Biz days from them to process and then 3 biz days FedEx to get the replacement part (or refurbished part) back to me. Where if i had the $99 I could go onto the Asus estore and buy it and get it in 3 Biz days. I just cant believe that it take so long to get a part that is covered under my warranty. The best part is it could still be another issue since I don't have another power brick to test. So i took my laptop to Best Buy where i bought it and they sent for a replacement part right away (even though they have the part sitting on the shelf waiting to be sold) but did not tell me it was a "special order" and that it would tack 9-12 biz days. WOW just WOW i just cant believe that you guys would make them special order the part from you and it will still tack 9-12 biz days (when you have 49 in your Estore when i check on 1/21/14 @ 8:32pm). This is the worst service i have ever received from a company (well am waiting to receive). Asus prides themselves on great customer services and on great quality products. I just cant believe this is the quality product i received (broken after less than 6 months) and no replacement part for over 1 week. (that is over 7 biz days) and that was NOT through Asus it was through Best Buy!!! I would have had to wait longer had I done a RMA through Asus.) What kind of customer services do you have when someone else can get me a replacement part faster than you can!!!??? I also saw the Warranty Replacement Options & Instructions (in EUROPE) Was not able to find the USA ones. But the EU replacement parts and policy looks to be so much quicker.
4) "Send the complete ARS Request Form to ASUS ARS team via Fax or e-mail. ASUS ARS team will issue an RMA number after acknowledging the receipt of ARS Request Form from Customer."
5)"ASUS will ship the replacement the same working day if the request is made before 12 PM (noon) (GMT+1:00) for delivery next working day."
Maybe i have the wrong thing or maybe I am referencing the wrong thing but looks like thing are done much quicker in the EU then in the USA. Maybe someone can explain to me what the USA policy is and why when I call Asus for tech support they tell me it will be at least 14 biz days. (Providing that i can get the part to them using FedEx 3 day at my expense.) Never the less it will be over 15 days (calender days not Biz days) before this will get fixed if it will get fixed.

I really hope this is not the services i can expect to receive from Asus. I bought a premium product from Asus and was told it would have be of premium quality. I had to get a replacement power cord from HP a wile back for a different laptop and i received the replacement part from them in 3 biz days and did not need me to return the faulty part to them!!! Granted I could hardly understand the person from HP that I spoke to and the name was misspelled on my package when it came but IT CAME IN 3 BIZ DAYS!!!

I really hope this will get the attention of Asus and have a change in policy if not I hope this serves a warning to those who may consider buying Asus products in the future I know it sure will affect my decision to build an Asus centered desktop in the future!!! I would hate it if I had a MB failure and have to wait over 15 days to get replacement.

Sorry for such a negative post but I don't know what else to do! To not be able to use my Asus G750JW laptop for a half a month and to have to use my 6 year old "HP Pavilion DV9815NR notebook PC" to do everything i need to do really sucks!!! But I never had an issue with this PC in 6 years (knock on wood)!
11 REPLIES 11

VW_StrWrs
Level 7
Im already looking for a back up charger/power supply. Thabks for posting this. And good luck to you.

VW_StrWrs wrote:
Im already looking for a back up charger/power supply. Thabks for posting this. And good luck to you.

It takes this kind of outage to remind us all that a backup power adapter is a worthwhile investment. Running out of that last battery charge leads to unhappiness.

Fortunately Asus is now selling both the JW/JX 180 watt power supply and the JH 230 watt power supply on their online eshop. Here is a search result link for G750 that lists the power adapters and other fun replacement parts.

http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=search_list&s[search]=g750&s[title]=Y&s[short_desc]=Y&s[full_desc]=Y&s[sku]=Y&s[match]=all&s[cid]=0

I bought my backup JH power adapter last month, and have it at work. It is tough enough lugging the JH around, but now at least I don't have to carry around the power brick every day too 🙂

Having a 2nd battery isn't a bad idea either...

Really did you read the part where I said With Asus it would tack a much longer time to get my part!!! When I called and talk to a rep on the 13 i was not offered an "Advanced Replacement from ASUS support" What kind of customer services rep will not offer that? I was however offered when i called back to complain but was threatened by the rep saying that if i did not return the part to Asus that i would be stuck getting charged the full amount for the replacement part and since i did not know if the request i submitted with Best Buy would force me to send the defective part back to them I figured that I would end up having to pay either Asus or Best buy for a spare charger which i do not want I just need 1!!! So i can see with this being such a long post you might not have read the whole thing (big surprise there!!!) Someone to who would give a care about the issue and not about passing the blame. I will recap it for you since you missed it the first time. For Asus I would need to send the part to Asus (provided i could get the same 3 days FedEx service you get when you return it to me.) That is 3 days. Then i was told on the 13 that it would then tack 8 to 10 biz days for them to process and then 3 biz days FedEx to get the replacement part (or refurbished part) back to me. So for a recap it would be 3+8 to 10 +3 = 14 to 16 Biz days through Asus that is why I chose Best Buy who told me after the inspection they would place a request to ship the part on the spot. They did not tell me it was a special order and it would tack 9 to 12 biz days till I called back to check on the status!

So I would love to know why i was not offered a Advanced Replacement from ASUS support on the 13 when i called before I even steeped foot into a Best Buy!!! And Yes this is one of the issue I have with Asus over this issue!!! And i don't line being told if i don't send the part back they will charge me for it!!! When it is Asus fought i am having this issue!!! I did nothing to the Power supply! So if you could read this post and give me some kind of answer that is not passing the buck to someone else. For it was what i was told by your Rep on the 13 that made me decide that Asus could not get me a replacement before a 3rd party could! And I would love to see what you plain to do to make up for me not having my pc for so long (bid surprise coming NOTHING will be done) Or you will hear it from Asus personal when they post a resonance. If they bother!

hmscott wrote:
It takes this kind of outage to remind us all that a backup power adapter is a worthwhile investment. Running out of that last battery charge leads to unhappiness.

Fortunately Asus is now selling both the JW/JX 180 watt power supply and the JH 230 watt power supply on their online eshop. Here is a search result link for G750 that lists the power adapters and other fun replacement parts.

http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=search_list&s[search]=g750&s[title]=Y&s[short_desc]=Y&s[full_desc]=Y&s[sku]=Y&s[match]=all&s[cid]=0

I bought my backup JH power adapter last month, and have it at work. It is tough enough lugging the JH around, but now at least I don't have to carry around the power brick every day too 🙂

Having a 2nd battery isn't a bad idea either...

Shawnnepc
Level 13
Best Buy has an entirely separate warranty process for it's ASUS products. Your best bet is to speak with a store manager and make sure that they actually ordered your part from ASUS. I've seen Best Buy fail to honor its warranty because some employee was lazy that day.

You can request an Advanced Replacement from ASUS support and have them ship you a new power adapter. They will ship out a new power adapter after placing a temporary hold on your credit card for the amount of the part. You are then supposed to return the defective part and ASUS will refund the hold amount. ** Advanced replacement is usually dependant on inventory and may not be available in all situations. **

*** Also, dependant on your model, ASUS support may not be able to assist you with warranty issues. You might need to only go through Best Buy. Typically models with 'BB' in their model numbers are Best Buy exclusive products***

From your post it appears that your issues are really with Best Buy and not ASUS.

Benja1337 wrote:
:mad: I have been having an issue with my G750jw laptop not charging since the 13!!! I called Asus tech support and they told me that i would have to mail the power supply to them (at my cost) then it would take 8 to 10 Biz days from them to process and then 3 biz days FedEx to get the replacement part (or refurbished part) back to me. Where if i had the $99 I could go onto the Asus estore and buy it and get it in 3 Biz days. I just cant believe that it take so long to get a part that is covered under my warranty. The best part is it could still be another issue since I don't have another power brick to test. So i took my laptop to Best Buy where i bought it and they sent for a replacement part right away (even though they have the part sitting on the shelf waiting to be sold) but did not tell me it was a "special order" and that it would tack 9-12 biz days. WOW just WOW i just cant believe that you guys would make them special order the part from you and it will still tack 9-12 biz days (when you have 49 in your Estore when i check on 1/21/14 @ 8:32pm). This is the worst service i have ever received from a company (well am waiting to receive). Asus prides themselves on great customer services and on great quality products. I just cant believe this is the quality product i received (broken after less than 6 months) and no replacement part for over 1 week. (that is over 7 biz days) and that was NOT through Asus it was through Best Buy!!! I would have had to wait longer had I done a RMA through Asus.) What kind of customer services do you have when someone else can get me a replacement part faster than you can!!!??? I also saw the Warranty Replacement Options & Instructions (in EUROPE) Was not able to find the USA ones. But the EU replacement parts and policy looks to be so much quicker.
4) "Send the complete ARS Request Form to ASUS ARS team via Fax or e-mail. ASUS ARS team will issue an RMA number after acknowledging the receipt of ARS Request Form from Customer."
5)"ASUS will ship the replacement the same working day if the request is made before 12 PM (noon) (GMT+1:00) for delivery next working day."
Maybe i have the wrong thing or maybe I am referencing the wrong thing but looks like thing are done much quicker in the EU then in the USA. Maybe someone can explain to me what the USA policy is and why when I call Asus for tech support they tell me it will be at least 14 biz days. (Providing that i can get the part to them using FedEx 3 day at my expense.) Never the less it will be over 15 days (calender days not Biz days) before this will get fixed if it will get fixed.

I really hope this is not the services i can expect to receive from Asus. I bought a premium product from Asus and was told it would have be of premium quality. I had to get a replacement power cord from HP a wile back for a different laptop and i received the replacement part from them in 3 biz days and did not need me to return the faulty part to them!!! Granted I could hardly understand the person from HP that I spoke to and the name was misspelled on my package when it came but IT CAME IN 3 BIZ DAYS!!!

I really hope this will get the attention of Asus and have a change in policy if not I hope this serves a warning to those who may consider buying Asus products in the future I know it sure will affect my decision to build an Asus centered desktop in the future!!! I would hate it if I had a MB failure and have to wait over 15 days to get replacement.

Sorry for such a negative post but I don't know what else to do! To not be able to use my Asus G750JW laptop for a half a month and to have to use my 6 year old "HP Pavilion DV9815NR notebook PC" to do everything i need to do really sucks!!! But I never had an issue with this PC in 6 years (knock on wood)!
USA ASUS Reseller
http://www.neteffectspc.com

Really did you read the part where I said With Asus it would tack a much longer time to get my part!!! When I called and talk to a rep on the 13 i was not offered an "Advanced Replacement from ASUS support" What kind of customer services rep will not offer that? I was however offered when i called back to complain but was threatened by the rep saying that if i did not return the part to Asus that i would be stuck getting charged the full amount for the replacement part and since i did not know if the request i submitted with Best Buy would force me to send the defective part back to them I figured that I would end up having to pay either Asus or Best buy for a spare charger which i do not want I just need 1!!! So i can see with this being such a long post you might not have read the whole thing (big surprise there!!!) Someone to who would give a care about the issue and not about passing the blame. I will recap it for you since you missed it the first time. For Asus I would need to send the part to Asus (provided i could get the same 3 days FedEx service you get when you return it to me.) That is 3 days. Then i was told on the 13 that it would then tack 8 to 10 biz days for them to process and then 3 biz days FedEx to get the replacement part (or refurbished part) back to me. So for a recap it would be 3+8 to 10 +3 = 14 to 16 Biz days through Asus that is why I chose Best Buy who told me after the inspection they would place a request to ship the part on the spot. They did not tell me it was a special order and it would tack 9 to 12 biz days till I called back to check on the status!

So I would love to know why i was not offered a Advanced Replacement from ASUS support on the 13 when i called before I even steeped foot into a Best Buy!!! And Yes this is one of the issue I have with Asus over this issue!!! And i don't line being told if i don't send the part back they will charge me for it!!! When it is Asus fought i am having this issue!!! I did nothing to the Power supply! So if you could read this post and give me some kind of answer that is not passing the buck to someone else. For it was what i was told by your Rep on the 13 that made me decide that Asus could not get me a replacement before a 3rd party could! And I would love to see what you plain to do to make up for me not having my pc for so long (bid surprise coming NOTHING will be done) Or you will hear it from Asus personal when they post a resonance. If they bother!

Shawnnepc wrote:
Best Buy has an entirely separate warranty process for it's ASUS products. Your best bet is to speak with a store manager and make sure that they actually ordered your part from ASUS. I've seen Best Buy fail to honor its warranty because some employee was lazy that day.

You can request an Advanced Replacement from ASUS support and have them ship you a new power adapter. They will ship out a new power adapter after placing a temporary hold on your credit card for the amount of the part. You are then supposed to return the defective part and ASUS will refund the hold amount. ** Advanced replacement is usually dependant on inventory and may not be available in all situations. **

*** Also, dependant on your model, ASUS support may not be able to assist you with warranty issues. You might need to only go through Best Buy. Typically models with 'BB' in their model numbers are Best Buy exclusive products***

From your post it appears that your issues are really with Best Buy and not ASUS.

Benja1337
Level 7
So anyone out there that has this issue or any issue with Asus or Best Buy PLEASE listen to this!!! If you call Asus ask for an "Advanced Replacement" from ASUS support because they will not offer it and they may give you problems but from my understanding they will give it to you if you DEMAND it.

For best buy and the extended warranty they will let you buy a replacement part on your own and then they will reimburse you for it. (from what i was told on the phone I don't know what steep you have to go through to get this to happen for you I just know it is an option!) I found this out today on the phone after calling them once again to check on the pending status (after 9 days of waiting). So i do not know what to do I sure do wish i had been given these options from the beginning. From both Asus and Best Buy!!!

Both companies know of these options and yet the rep i spoke to on the phone and in the store were useless on informing me of ALL of my options. Don't find yourself 8 to 15 days with out your PC because the reps on the phone and in the Store are useless. Also I was informed that the Geek Squad system has a delay between them and the parts department and was told it is much faster to get the part from Best Buy part department(The # i used was (866) 933-5552. I do not know if the # will change or not) (I do not know if you have to see the Geek Squad to first diagnose the issue and have them give you a referral # and then you call the parts department or if you can call them up directly and get trouble shooting form them. In my case i lost 1 day buy going to the Geek Squad as noted below from the status on geek squad website.)
1) 01/14/2014 1:01 PM We've created your part order.
2) 01/15/2014 1:01 AM We're processing your part order.

Yeah... I have no idea why ASUS doesn't give advanced replacement as the first option. (Maybe it because of the credit card hold?)

I'm not a fan of Best Buy. The majority of my work week is devoted to fixing problems caused by Geek Squad and their excellent (that's sarcasm) repair centers.

I would make sure to constantly follow up with Best Buy until your part arrives. I would even ask to speak to a supervisor to look into your case.

Keep us updated on the status.

Best of luck!

Benja1337 wrote:
So anyone out there that has this issue or any issue with Asus or Best Buy PLEASE listen to this!!! If you call Asus ask for an "Advanced Replacement" from ASUS support because they will not offer it and they may give you problems but from my understanding they will give it to you if you DEMAND it.

For best buy and the extended warranty they will let you buy a replacement part on your own and then they will reimburse you for it. (from what i was told on the phone I don't know what steep you have to go through to get this to happen for you I just know it is an option!) I found this out today on the phone after calling them once again to check on the pending status (after 9 days of waiting). So i do not know what to do I sure do wish i had been given these options from the beginning. From both Asus and Best Buy!!!

Both companies know of these options and yet the rep i spoke to on the phone and in the store were useless on informing me of ALL of my options. Don't find yourself 8 to 15 days with out your PC because the reps on the phone and in the Store are useless. Also I was informed that the Geek Squad system has a delay between them and the parts department and was told it is much faster to get the part from Best Buy part department(The # i used was (866) 933-5552. I do not know if the # will change or not) (I do not know if you have to see the Geek Squad to first diagnose the issue and have them give you a referral # and then you call the parts department or if you can call them up directly and get trouble shooting form them. In my case i lost 1 day buy going to the Geek Squad as noted below from the status on geek squad website.)
1) 01/14/2014 1:01 PM We've created your part order.
2) 01/15/2014 1:01 AM We're processing your part order.
USA ASUS Reseller
http://www.neteffectspc.com

hmscott
Level 12
Man was I pissed off when this happened to me. 🙂

You are bringing back memories... I drove all over looking for an alternative while I waited for shipment of my replacement AC adapter.

I then bought 2 more AC adapters and 2 extra batteries 🙂

Targus used to make a high power adapter, but I don't see it now - highest I see is 90w. You need 180 watts for the JW/JX and 230 watts for the JH. I think my W90Vp-X1 needed as much as it could get. I don't think the Targus charged the battery while playing games, it could only provide power to either charge or play, but not both. It was also expensive, more than the Asus adapter.

Thanks for the reply! My replacement came in on the 29 so i could have canceled my order and ordered from ASUS like 3 times had i know form the beginning. But i have not had a chance to test it because i was having issue with thermal paste leaking out the bottom so i had to tack the pc back for a 3rd time for them to look at it. this time i finally got a Geek Squad member that know that this was an issue that needed to be fixed.

Another note the replacement part was indeed ASUS genuine part. The model # is FA180PM111. At least it looks Asus genuine 🙂